A question about nomenclature

Ezr91aeL

I want to ask if a sister is talking with/about a canoness she should call her "Mother" or "Sister"?

Example:
CANONESS KAIRINE:

Have you purged the heretic Sister Coralie?

SISTER CORALIE:

(1) Yes, mother Kairine

(2) Yes, sister Kairine

Which one is the correct form?

I'm pretty sure it would be "mother" or even "mother superior".  "Sister" is relegated to the rank-and-file... even (many?  most?) squad leaders would be sister superior.

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui

I think I'd lean toward using "Canoness" but I don't see an issue with any of them rather than "Sister" which probably shouldn't be used alone for people of higher rank than you

So I'd refer to a Superior as "Sister Supetior" if I'm a basic Sister. If we're both Superiors I might just use "Sister" or their name. If someone is lower rank, I might use "child" or just their name or even "Sister"

I'd say it would be more correct to say "Yes, Canones Kairine" or "Yes, Canones" . As the sisters are the military arm of the church, it would make sense for them to refer to a superior by either their rank or rank/name much like the military would.

Just through a quick scan of Faith and Fire and Hammer and Anvil I've come across "Canoness", "Sister Canoness", and "Mistress" all being used.

+1 to this here.
Edited by foxlight713

Canoness, Sister Canoness, Sister Kairine or just Kairine, depending on whether or not you are a) of equal or lesser or superior rank, and b) how familiar you are with each other and how private the setting.

So:

Lesser rank - Canoness
Equal rank - Sister Canoness
Superior rank - Sister Kairine

Familiar private setting e.g. command bunker - Kairine.

A Canoness is an officer with enough rank to be called whatever she wants to be called.  It is always approprate to address her by rank and name, whether first or last name is formal can change depending on culture, as usual.  No mnatter what else she may be called, Canoness Kairine is a safe bet.

Calling her Mother Kairine may be  common especially when refering to her in her Ministorium role.  It my also be how she wishes to be addressed informally or even what the rank and file refer to her as among themselves.  Then again they may call her The Iron Mistress.

To me, the title Mistress is reserved to direct subordinates.  Celestians and Sisters Superior might call her Mistress while the rest of the company would call her Ma'am.  Mistress of Repentance woiuld be the exception since Mistress whould be her "rank."

No one would call her Sister unless they were a very close friends, of the same rank or someone from outside the organization who does not know better.

So, when Sister Coralie reports in she would say "Canoness  Kairine, we have purged the heritics,"

Kairine then tells her to call the company together for a benediction.  Sister Coralie would thenn tell the company to gather so Mother Kairine could lead them in prayer.

As a militaristic arm there is likely an official form of address, "mother", "Superior", "Cannoness", etc. This will most commonly be used in writing, in formal occasions, and when dealing with outside liasons with which they are not familiar. This is also the address that will be used when they are overseeing judgment for transgressions; I,e, when a sister does something bad they will have to deal with the "superior" or whatever term is used formally.

Just as likely there is an unofficial form of address. This will be used in familiar settings; people from other Imperium branches who have worked with her a lot in the past will likely use this form in casual conversation. Rank and file sisters will use this address when speaking about her; and when speaking to her if they are not being punished for something.

In the US Army, in an Artillery battery you have the First Sergeant and the Platoon Sergeant. The First Sergeant is called "top" when being spoken about, or being spoken to in a familiar setting. He is called "First Sergeant" in formal address; when being spoken to by someone who hasn't worked with him, or when he is overseeing judgment for an offense. Likewise the platoon sergeant who overseas the gunline is known as "smoke". He is addressed as "Smoke" when you are not in any trouble; he is mentioned as "Smoke" by people who know him and who have worked with him. If he is passing judgment or being written to he is "Sergeant First Class".

Edit: One of the ways that newer soldiers are recognized as being a full member of the group is when they start calling First Sergeant by "Top" and the Sergeant First Class as "Smoke". This comfortability with unofficial titles only comes after working with them for a while; and as brand new soldier only comes when you learn to stop fearing your superiors.

Edit 2: Also, in general, a superior ranking person only uses the rank of a subordinate when they are in trouble for something. Enlisted people generally go by last name; officers generally go by first name. An officer addressing a senior enlisted person will probably use first name, but will probably use last name for a junior enlisted member.

Edit 3: Thinking about this has been really interesting to me. There is a lot of naming convention in militaristic cultures that is unofficial. Individual soldiers will all have a nickname that they go by. This may be a shortened form of their name or it may be given to them for some reason. This can change over time. Soldiers don't get to pick this for themselves, it's given to them almost as a right of passage. This is used in combat situations for a variety of reasons; it helps when people have the same last name, it helps because it's usually shorter and easier to say, etc. For example, in one unit I was in there where three brothers, all with the name, Nudd. If you asked for Pvt. Nudd, you had to follow up with which one you actually wanted to see. So they where numbered, Nudd 1, Nudd 2, and Nudd 3, which wasn't their birth order but was the order in which they joined the Army.  In another unit I was in there where three people with the first name of Jesus. Jesus Cortez became "Tez".

Edited by micahwc