NTaW's Thokt Dynasty

NTaW

Took a quick detour to test my freehand skills on my Destroyer Lord and painted his personal markings. This marks the beginning of my entire army getting freehand heraldry.

49044354973_f15a79abcd_z.jpg

Let's see how mad I go painting circles and semi-circles across well over 100 models :teehee:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Lothern Blue is not really even close to Ice Blue. I added a bunch of white and got it...well, whiter but I'll likely have to just look for an alternative from another paint company for a closer match. I guess in the meantime I could get the other Lychguard basecoated but this was kinda defeating for the moment since I spent far too long slowly adding white for an approximation I'm not going top end up using (on anything other than the Cryptek I just did).

There is a hobby shop within 5 minutes of my work and next to several options for lunch tomorrow, I'll likely pop in and check out their selection. I've gamed there before but never scoped their paints beyond the Citadel range.

Edited by NTaW

I cant believe you still have a pot of ice blue :laugh.:  i wonder if the Vallejo game colour range will have something close?..:ermm:  they are quite vibrant so if anythings going to match...!? 

did you consider using Tamiya Tape (the yellow stuff) putting clear tape on top to strengthen it and cutting out a neat shape like your one displayed above :Troops:  and used it as a template to base with...it can stay sticky for quite a few applications...i'm sure you'd have to tidy up the lines afterwards etc etc but it'd probably stop you from becoming the Joker...:huh.:

Cheers, Mithril

++EDIT++  i just checked and supposedly the closest match in Vallejo game colour is - Ice Blue (095)  :thumbsup: or Electric Blue (023) is the next one down...some Flames of war painters swear Electric blue is the closer match...

Edited by mithrilforge

Brother, I have painted my entire Necron army with almost dry pots of Skull White and Ice Blue. Just add water and a bit of medium right? :lol:

Thanks for the heads up, Vallejo was my go-to solution brand. Just picked up their white as a replacement for the pathetic offering that Citadel has and so far so good.

I have seen the majestic things people can do with tape but I am choosing to, instead of working on that skill, work on my brush hand. Not that I don't appreciate the insight to functional products of course. I'll be checking that stuff out regardless just to see what's up.

EDIT: Well the store doesn't open until noon and I take lunch ~11 so that didn't quite work out :lol:

I have now looked through the Vallejo catalogs and Sky Blue from the Model Colour range looks like a dead ringer for my beloved Ice Blue.

Edited by NTaW

• 2 weeks later...

Still hunting for Sky Blue so I turned to fixing up the metal Flayed ones I got a while back and got started building ten Deathmarks (instead of tesla Immortals :teehee: ).

49161005237_a2eaa4d694_z.jpg

I'm happy using my Warriors for Troops and Deathmarks are pretty cool. They may not be great right now rules-wise but I look forward to their arrival gimmick and any potential headaches it could cause my opponents.

So I *just* found out the glaze paints from Citadel were discontinued with the launch of the Contrast range. Guilliman Blue is also an essential element of my blue recipe, along with my precious Ice Blue. I've been watching some videos on people mixing replacements using Vallejo Game Colour Inks and I think there's good things happening there. Looks like I'll be changing over more of my paint collection than I had previously thought.

:laugh.:  Your the Gunny Sgt Highway of the necron world... "Improvise, Adapt and Overcome!" ...

i swear GW hates us sometimes, you find some cool techniques with paints and washes etc then they go and pull the rug out from under you :ohmy.:  (i'm looking at you Lamenters yellow :sad.: )

Glad your finding close alternatives to your dilemma :sweat:

Cheers, Mithril

I found Sky Blue but not the inks today, just happened to be by a hobby shop while out driving for work and took my lunch at the pizza place next door. Despite being damn near identical in any swatches I saw online for the colours it just isn't the same as Ice Blue. They have Deep Sky Blue which may be closer but at this point I'm developing an eye twitch over this. Ice Blue sits right in between my modified Lothern Blue and unmodified Sky Blue. Maybe moving forward I just use the two of them and go for a slightly different gradient. There's already plenty of discrepancies between units as I've gotten better at and added more white to my blue recipe. Could be it's just time to embrace it :confused:

Still gunna try for the ink concoctions when they're back in stock. I will need to approximate Guilliman and also something akin to Bloodletter for my BA whenever I get back to them. Having watched videos and witnessing how close they were getting gives me confidence there.

Edited by NTaW

Dude, last night just out of curiosity i looked up at some of my paint racks...i have a full bottle of Guillimans glaze...which i kinda have just to fill the gap on the paint rack in case it was used......

So if ya really get desperate i can seal it and package it up and post it to you.... :wink:

let me know if you really want it!

Cheers, Mithril

Ha! Had some time become suddenly available today so I went into the shop for a game (vs. Harlequins) and they had a bunch of pots of Guilliman Blue in stock so I bought two pots. I was just thinking about sending you my address mithril, thanks for the offer! :thumbsup:

As for Harlequins, hooooly smokes what an army to play against. My Stalker and DDA got absolutely wrecked from haywire shots coming off jetbikes. They didn't stand a chance against the volume of mortal wounds coming in but fortunately despite that flank crumpling T1 I came out with a win. Played using the new point values as per CA2019 and it felt like 1750 was a pretty big game with lots of fights around the board and plenty of unit activations per side. I think if I play against Harlequins again I'll be leaving the vehicles at home and bringing a dual-battalion with sixty Warriors supported by Crypteks and Lords for those jetbikes to chew on.

SIIIIILVER TIDE!

I fully support this course of action. Perhaps a couple of ghost arks as well, to be extra annoying....

I'll have to try this once I acquire a second GArk, and repaint my first. 

Glad you came out with a win, though, brother. Do you mind sharing your list, as well as maybe a pic of the list you used?

Well, I don't have any Ghost Arks (or plans to get them really, building -a- DDA may have been enough of that kit) but I do have 80 Warriors so I could definitely put some silver on the table. I've been playing 3x 10 Warrior squads with a ChronoTek and Lord in the middle to great effect over the last few games so I figure doubling down on that may not be the worst.

No pictures of the game but this is the list I used, 1749 points with 8 command points:

Mephrit Battalion

Cryptek - chronometron

Lord - warscythe

10x Warriors

10x Warriors

10x Warriors

Triarch Stalker - particle shredder

6x Destroyers

Novokh Outrider

Destroyer Lord - warscythe (voidreaper), phylactery; crimson haze warlord trait

Nightbringer

6x Wraiths

5x Scarabs

5x Scarabs

3x Scarabs

Nihilakh Auxiliary

Doomsday Ark

I try and keep my Destroyers close to the ChronoTek and Lord later in the game if possible if they're still alive. Warriors press objectives with the Stalker and Novokh shred stuff as a vanguard, Scarabs fly defense wherever needed (often around the DDA) until it's time to press objectives. So far so good I'd say.

As for my army, I now have my squad of Deathmarks complete and even got around to forcibly assembling my Finecast Cryptek. Woo assembly protocols!

49196241232_888e68d1be_z.jpg

I'd say you've got a pretty solid list there, man! Sounds like a well-deserved win.

And good job on gettting that Finecast cryptek together! I haven't had any of the issues I've heard about when assembling any of my finecrons, so hurrah for assembly protocols indeed!
(nervously raps hand on synthwood door).

If I add more Ghost Arks I'm definitely looking to buy one that's already built. I really don't like that kit! 5 DDA/GA built and it seems like the only kit to get worse with repetition.

Tyriks, how hard is it to paint a Ghost Ark assembled? I've been keeping my eye out for some assembled Immortals at the right price/quality of build I could also be looking for a pair of GAs while I'm at it. Suppose I could always break out the Warriors and put them back afterward/replace them with spare from my DDA kit if necessary.

D-PL, the only other Finecast model I may tackle is a Deceiver. Maybe. I'd love to add the Overlord running/slashing to my collection but can't bring myself to bother with something so detailed. Just more chances for GW to mess up casting in my eyes :/

Fair enough. I tackled him for a conversion (last year's ETL) and had few issues, but it is so detailed that it's more probable I missed and ignored the details.

It is a really cool model, though, so if you're feeling brave I'd definitely recommend it. Also, if you do, get it from an actual GW store so you can go in and try and exchange it if you find issues (goes for any finecast, though necrons especially).

Oh fer sure buy Finecast from GW. Their problem solving is second to none and it's well worth the couple bucks saved to have the safety net. Not gunna lie though, I'm waiting to see what happens first: GW releasing a plastic Overlord/Lord kit with options or me buying a box of Lychguard just to convert models. Last time I bought a box fully intending to undertake the task I saw dispersion shields up close and ended up with sword & board Lychguard, then of course my second box had to round out the squad to ten :lol: We'll see....it is a mighty fine model. Let's just bask in it's glory a moment.

Basking is optional due to picture size.

99800110007_OverlordNEW01.jpg

Edited by NTaW

If you don't care about highlighting the repairing warriors, it's not too bad. My scheme makes it easier I think, highlighting the inside of the ribs would be a pain.

I got that finecast model and I don't like it. The staff was extremely warped and the cloak had bubbles in it which I didn't notice until I had primed it. The tassel thing broke off when I tried to straighten out warpages, so I gave up on him for now. A friend of mine plays Necrons and said he has bought three of them and all of them have had major problems with the staff. If you do buy it I'd recommend maybe pinning a lychguard staff into his hand and swapping the head our for his or something.

Hm. Maybe I just find some still on sprue stuff if I want to expand into Ghost Arks :/

I finished a Lychguard model today using the new blue and liked the colour. It's far less divergent than my last attempt and easy to cover through use of white to balance between the other models and this one. It only really matters for this unit since they will be half painted with Ice Blue and half painted with Deep Sky Blue.

49220131417_a1bd859d8b_z.jpg

Bonus marks: I banged out this Flayed One as a proof of concept for the unit. This paint job took somewhere between 20-30 minutes and I think will do nicely enough for the unit.

Now to find another 10 of the old metal models for a full squad of 20 :teehee:

49219416503_d3969191e3_z.jpg

49220124267_7b0ffb132a_z.jpg

49220124377_4a630357a3_z.jpg

Lychguard is looking good. The blue really pops very well!

Nice Flayed One! I've been avoiding them until they get a new kit, but if I see some metal ones cheap enough I might have to buy them. I just am not gonna deal with the finecast ones!