NTaW's Thokt Dynasty

NTaW

Thanks Tyriks! I'd have been tempted to go with purple for mine but I want to use it as a primary colour for my (eventual) Tyranid army.

I just started working on my Lychguard, the last unit I own to paint aside from a broken down Monolith. Silver's done and I'm just touching up the black before doing all the bits of blue in there. It will be nice to have a case of painted models! :lol:

So this is where you're hiding ;)

What blues are you using for your (for want of a better term) "Tron" affect on your vehicles? Tried it myself with Hawk Turquoise bit it wasn't bright enough - maybe I used the wrong basecost?

No hiding, I just shift between my Blood Angel, Necron, and table project threads as my attention span and available time dictates.

This is the rundown of my blues from the last page, does that help answer your question or have I left out a crucial bit that helps it make sense? I use Kantor and Ice blue followed by Skull white and a Guilliman blue glaze at the end if it's just colours you're after.

1. I hit the area with Kantor blue.

2. Drybrush (I use a small brush so I don't have to go back and fix the black) almost all of it in the direction of the glow with Ice blue (current paints call this Lothern blue according to the internets). Layer drybrushing as it pleases the eye.

3. Drybrush again towards the brightest part with straight white (I'm using the old Skull white but white is white).

4. Paint pure white at the very brightest.

5. Carefully washing the whole thing with Guilliman glaze. I say carefully because I apply more on the darker side and less on the white side to tie my layers together.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Aothaine :tu:

The going is slow but I've managed to get the black and silver done on my Lychguard. Just the blue left to do now (so most of the work still ahead of me). I have decided that my Crons need re-basing since the brown just isn't doing it for me and am thinking of going with astrogranite debris and some snow on top, or 'urban winter' as it appears in the Citadel Paint app if you have that. Anyone have any experience with GW's Valhallan Blizzard product?

Edited by NTaW

Thanks Aothaine :thumbsup:

The going is slow but I've managed to get the black and silver done on my Lychguard. Just the blue left to do now (so most of the work still ahead of me). I have decided that my Crons need re-basing since the brown just isn't doing it for me and am thinking of going with astrogranite debris and some snow on top, or 'urban winter' as it appears in the Citadel Paint app if you have that. Anyone have any experience with GW's Valhallan Blizzard product?

This is oddly funny because I'm planning on doing the same thing for one of my Chapters. I'm trying to decide if I want the Blood Angel Red or the Salamander Green on the snow covered streets of an Imperial City. Though I'm leaning toward the Salamanders myself.

• 2 weeks later...

After doing some research on snow textures I think I may use the Woodland Scenics stuff because of the quantity and that I will eventually be doing a table as well. The consistency looks a little more like melting snow but I'll do some test bases to see what looks good once I get to that point. Got some more models painted today, finally finished the Wraiths I started probably three years ago. Glad they are finally out of the way!

26841310688_e572b86951_z.jpg

Thanks Tyriks, hilariously I am intentionally messy while doing all those silly thin recessed lines. I've tried using "old two-hair" on them but it took forever. Every now and then I'd slip up and get half a brush hair out of the indent and have to wipe away the paint quickly with my thumb...and then it hit me. Out came a larger brush, I watered down the paint more, and just slapped it on the model. Then along came my thumb dampened from the paper towel I had been cleaning my brushes with the whole time to wipe away the excess, leaving crisp lines on every edge. The lines on the first three Wraiths took me hours upon hours, the next three together took me about an hour using this technique (I employ my entire blue process, so three paints and a wash). Everything else I paint normally because I can but those went from being absolute agony to being laughably easy with that technique. I only wish I had developed it while painting my Scythe :lol:

Thanks for the kind words! :tu:

Once I finish the other four Lychguard it'll be on to restoring the Monolith. I was thinking of doing my Destroyer Lord next but I need to be ready for a 2500 point game in a month or two and the Monolith (and spare Lord I have done already) gets me there. 

That being said once I finish those two models post-Lychguard my whole collection will be painted, which will be a first for me. Might have to hold off buying some models with the Codex just so I can have that moment last :lol:

That was part of what my friend painted, he used the same paints and layers that I do but his blending is far superior. He sort of made the highlight look like a galaxy, with a central whiter area that has tendrils flowing out in a spiral. Next time I have the models out I'll take a picture of the orb from a better angle.

Edited by NTaW

Well Tyriks I tried but I just can't seem to get a decent picture of that orb. It kinda looks like my buddy watered his paints down a ton then did very thin layers to build up; I know he also likes to blend paints on his palette for highlights as opposed to cracking a new colour so he may have employed that a bit in the transition of blue to white. 

As for my work, I've rebased half the army at this point to the stage where I add the snow (textured, washed, drybrushed, base rimmed in black). Just have 30 Warriors and 10 Immortals left to do before I get snowy and apply all the white stuff in one go then it's back to those last four Lychguard to finish off my 2k list. Here's a pic of the difference between basing schemes. It isn't a huge difference but I'm glad to be doing it!

39152744450_64765aa2c8_z.jpg