NTaW's Thokt Dynasty

NTaW

Thanks Ashenwyte, post up what you end up doing I'd love to see some more blueCrons. If I didn't also have a Deathwing army I was very tempted to do bone/marble armour on them...kinda glad I kept it simple :lol:

Another day another snowfall! Two Heavy Destroyers to do then I'm on to my squads of Immortals and Warriors.

41198814961_3ca7a6a156_z.jpg

Edited by NTaW

Only 20 Warriors remain to be snowed. Here's the most recent batch:

40341298335_610a1d8686_z.jpg

Looking like I'll have a fully painted and based army for a match Saturday, a first for me at the 2k points level. There will definitely be whole army shots though sadly there's no snow table at this location.

Thanks for the kind words :tu: 

I'm really happy with how the snow has made the models look. It's probably as complementary as I've ever done bases before, but the last time I had a finished army they were all done with Goblin Green and every battlefield in the 41st millennium was a verdant field of grass :lol:

10 Warriors left to go!

Thanks dchmp :thumbsup:

Things were a bit busy at the shop and they have no space aside from the table you play on so I only managed this pic of the whole army. 

41306145761_217145184d_c.jpg

I killed Magnus but got tabled in T6, almost every one of my tactically pathetic decisions came from following the needs of TO cards struggling to get points. Last game I'll ever play with those cards :laugh.:

Monolith restoration is under way:

39497419050_264110451c_z.jpg

Edited by NTaW

With the top piece reset, a lot of gross glue and GS work removed, and the broken guns clipped off with the remains leveled I'm ready for the next step: GSing all the poorly aligned edges to hide the gaps created with the assembly. Where I can I dive in with a sturdy knife to clear away gobs of plastic glue but I can only reset so much without major destruction. I was going to strip it but the paint is barely on to begin with so I'm just going to prime over it once I've finished the puttying. Either way once I finish fixing the corners I'll figure out what the heck I'll make new guns out of and start thinking more about a new front door and top gem.

41300236412_f6caa27809_z.jpg

No Monolith work today, but I wrote a bit more fluff for a narrative campaign I'm currently playing. There are two installations in the story so far and by the end of the campaign there will be four.

Power. The sudden surge disturbing the Cryptek’s slumber brought long dormant systems online throughout the chamber. Pale blue light emanated from floor panels casting shadows upward while a massive holograph of the planet flickered into existence over a central dias. Kal’Teoch stepped out of his stasis chamber at the edge of the room and moved forward, the only sound piercing the subtle hum of technology that of his feet echoing off walls hidden by darkness. Long metallic fingers played across an ancient control panel and status updates for critical systems coalesced around various sectors throughout the image. Based on the readouts the planet had fared well across the millennia. What damage was caused by seismic events had been diligently managed by the tomb’s canoptek caretakers, blinking indicators showed where spyder constructs currently ministered to their duties. The vast stasis-crypts housing the Phaeron’s servants were still receiving only power enough to stave off the degradation of time, whatever triggered his awakening had apparently not been the end of the Great Sleep.

Waving away the initial status reports Kal’Teoch brought the reason for his awakening to the forefront of the display. A ship had landed on the surface among sector 52.437’s outcropping of noctilith pylons, but before the master program could calculate an efficient response to the threat several of the lifesigns disappeared. The one that remained composed of a quite different genetic makeup, showing signs of massive psychic development not present in the lost signals. Even more pressing though was an anomalous object in orbit around Talrynos showing a biological composition that seemed to defy the Cryptek’s arcane scanning devices. As he began attempting to refine the scans a new warning sprang to life over top of his work indicating numerous atmospheric penetrations all focused around sector 52.437. Issuing revivification protocols across the closest stasis crypts to the event and placing several others on standby Kal’Teoch swiftly left his station, headed for the chamber of his patron Overlord. Aaryekh would deal with this invasion swiftly.

------------------------

The battle had been short lived. These aliens showed in massed numbers and did not care for their bodies as they attacked as if driven by primal force to annihilate. The steady stream of gauss fire Aaryekh’s phalanx of Warriors and Immortals put forth had no lack of targets and carved swathes of death as arcs of azure lightning danced across the garish lifeforms. Kal’Teoch himself was almost overtaken by one of the larger beasts, had it not been for the intervention of Aaryekh’s voidscythe. The Overlord stood, holding an alien appendage aloft and examining the blade he had pulled out of his armoured pauldron. The living metal of his metallic body had already began knitting itself back together.

“Report to me Cryptek, where have they receded to? We must pursue and eradicate these pathetic fleshlings. There must be nothing left of their taint upon Talrynos.” Aaryekh demanded.

Turning toward the Overlord Kal’Teoch slightly genuflected and adpoted the posture of deference.

“All scans report the invaders are receding to their landing site but not withdrawing. What can now be perceived as their ship has adopted a geostationary orbit above the sector.”

“Why have we not already responded in the void as we have on the surface? As first awoken it was your responsibility to enact the appropriate protocols.” Aaryekh seethed.

“The forces I have arranged for you have been more than adequate to deal with the most immediate of threats, my lord. I have sent revivification protocols planet wide and void ships are nearly ready-” Kal’Teoch was cut off.

“Not soon enough!” raged Aaryekh. “Look to the sky Cryptek, your knowledge of technology is vast but your assessment of tactics today has shown inadequate. Maybe your optic inputs can now show you what your sensors could not predict.” He gestured out toward the horizon. Streaks through the blue atmosphere showed hundreds of alien bioships making planetfall, clearly intent on reinforcing and attacking anew if previous behaviour was any indication of intent. “Nevertheless, we will purge our space of these vermin.”

With that the Warriors around them jerked into motion, stirred by the data-linked orders received from Aaryekh to move to defensive positions.

------------------------

Edited by NTaW

With the top piece reset, a lot of gross glue and GS work removed, and the broken guns clipped off with the remains leveled I'm ready for the next step: GSing all the poorly aligned edges to hide the gaps created with the assembly. Where I can I dive in with a sturdy knife to clear away gobs of plastic glue but I can only reset so much without major destruction. I was going to strip it but the paint is barely on to begin with so I'm just going to prime over it once I've finished the puttying. Either way once I finish fixing the corners I'll figure out what the heck I'll make new guns out of and start thinking more about a new front door and top gem.

41300236412_f6caa27809_z.jpg

First off ,Great army,i love all the cool tones used and the new basing really contrasts, but also Compliments as well :wub:

i too am in the same boat barge as you... I have a Monolith that was painted very averagely years ago... i am using the round plastic ball from a roll-on deodorant container as the crystal thing'a'mabob in the middle, i'll be trying to paint the orby Galaxy swirls like on your res orb you showed in an earlier post.

not sure what you would do for the front door but a piece of plasticard with Necron aesthetic trim like the old armored front would be the simplest solution...

Nice Fluff piece too.

thanks for all the nice models to look at :cool.:

Cheers, Mithril

Thanks Mithril, I've thought a few times about using just an orb of some kind in place of the gem glad someone else is trying it as well. Been thinking of taking a piece of .5mm styrene and sculpting some swirly mess on the front of it to replace the door but have also been tempted by the pictures I've seen of a Warrior stepping through the portal so I may try for that....which will be considerably harder to pull off :laugh.:

I've got the second game in that campaign coming up and felt inspired to write more introducing more characters in my army and bringing the story right up to where I need to play the game to see what happens next. Either way, here's some more words.

Deep inside the tomb world of Talrynos, Cryptek Dalrekh attended to the awakening of the planet’s higher functions. He had been informed of Kal’Teoch’s alleged failure by the Overlord and had hastened to find out what actually had occurred within the system's subroutines. Dalrekh found Aaryekh fast to anger and slow to understand when it came to the application of technology past the tip of his scythe, though it was wise not to antagonize this fact openly given his mastery of the weapon. His attention was pulled from dealing with a severe cascade failure in the maintenance protocols responsible for keeping the void ships in a state of readiness by a sound he recognized from aeons past. Turning from his station and looking out the viewport across the room, ocular implants automatically adjusting to the ocean of darkness, he could see the Dolmen Gate beginning to activate. Two thoughts dominated the vast cerebral processing power of the Cryptek and he couldn't be sure which demanded more concern. The fact that the last time the Gate was activated it nearly destroyed the entire planet thanks to the sabotage enacted by the Aeldari in the final years before the Great Sleep, or that those cursed enemies could now be externally opening the portal. With a thought he activated the defense systems surrounding the Gate and left to greet whoever was fool enough to enter his domain uninvited.

Approaching the vaulted doors that guarded the main entrance to the holding bay, Dalrekh was met by Lord Malhet and two squads of Immortals.

“I have been sent by Aaryekh to hasten the preparation of the fleet. Why is the Gate active, have you been damaged in your slumber to forget what happened to your predecessor?” inquired Malhet. Dahlrekh was unsure whether it was meant to condescend or a genuine question of status. No one had truly known the effects of such a prolonged stasis on the Necrontyr’s mechanical minds and the potential for erosion within personality engrams was a constant concern. He chose to ignore the challenge to his mental state.

“It has activated from elsewhere. While security pylons have been enabled within it is fortunate you have arrived when you have. Together we can find out who thinks they can undermine our Overlord’s holdings so easily.” The Lord weighed the new information. Being no fool, Malhet would have come to the same conclusion of who could be using the Gate.

“Let us enter, and take up position to repel whatever intrudes as you shut the system down.” Malhet said, turning his attention to the door. Dalrekh signalled the chamber to open, revealing the vast space inside.

Talrynos had been hollowed out and its core clad in Canoptek shielding, the elemental power routed into every facet of the tomb world. It was there that the Dolmen Gate resided. The surrounding area, so vast the mechanically advanced optics of Dalrekh could barely make out the curve of the wall as it expanded outward from the entrance they now walked through, housed Aaryekh’s fleet. Suspended in neatly organized rows were thousands of void faring vessels all arranged around the Gate, which during the War in Heaven could be used to connect anywhere in the Empire but now only reliably transported ships into the space surrounding the planet. Crackling blue energy was engulfing the exterior rings, arcing across the centre with increasing intensity. Dalrekh moved to a monitoring station while the Immortals took up position along the platform they occupied. Though the gate was far out of range of their weapons any invaders would surely seek the entrance they now guarded to gain access to the crypt. Malhet planted his warscythe on the floor with a clang.

“What is the status of the Gate, can you tell where the connection is being made from?” he asked, never once considering he was fully capable of observing the readout alongside Dalrekh.

“I can’t discern point of origin as of yet. Power levels are currently within optimal parameters for portal operation, no signs of overload are apparent.” Came the somewhat perplexing response. Whoever was establishing a link apparently not only had the knowledge to make a connection from a gate other than the one orbiting the system’s third planet but also to erect repairs on the core systems enough for a stable connection from wherever they were. White light flared from the Gate and a portal connection rippled into existence within the now brightly glowing blue ring.

As Dalrekh focused on the event horizon a disturbance began to appear on its shimmering surface announcing the physical arrival of their unexpected guest. A single Necron floated through the portal on grav suspensors, its metal figure and staff of office instantly recognizable as a member of the Triarch. The portal winked out of existence behind it as the figure, almost invisible in the distance now without the light of the active Gate behind them, began moving toward the platform.

“This is Talrynos, 5th coreworld of the Thokt Dynasty and ruled by Overlord Aaryekh.” The Praetorian stated, though Malhet responded as if asked a question.

“It is, though we are currently under attack from an unknown alien species. Your presence is welcome, member of the Triarch. What news do you bring of the Empire?”

“Cryptek, allow me access to your scans of the threat.” It seemed to ignore the Lord. Dalrekh granted the appropriate permissions.

“Take me to the front.” It looked back at Malhet and the arranged Immortals. “I must share critical information about the invaders, who have been named locally as the Tyranids. They are no threat to be trifled with. Cryptek, be sure that a Stalker construct is powered by the time I reach them for time is of the essence and I will need not only its speed but also its weaponry to effectively assist in the defense of your planet.” No response was needed, for the will of the Triarch was that of the Silent King himself.

Edited by NTaW

Sadly for my Cryptek he had already used the Veil to get where he and those Immortals were, those pics were taken very late in a mission where any unit I killed could come back from the dead. More of the story to come, as well I've got to kick the Monolith restoration up into gear. It has to be done (says me anyway) in 3-4 weeks for the final match of our campaign. Self-issued bonus marks if I get it done with time to make some sort of platform terrain for it to use in the mission as well. I'll probably be making a bunch more Scarabs if I have the putty out...why not have more Scarab bases, right? :blink.:

I also got the finecast Cryptek model, so once the Monolith is done I'll have that to look forward to.

Edited by NTaW

hey i thought for the door, you said a piece of plasticard... what if you got PVA glue and  turned the bottle upside down and just made a swirly circle pattern with it and waited for it to dry then painted over it?.. or you could even make a long thin greenstuff sausage and make the same circle swirl starting from the centre and working it out in larger and larger circles...

cheers,Mithril

++EDIT++ or if i can get mine off the front when i repaint it i might try to make an Oyumaru mold of the door and then a green stuff copy for you... if you wanted?...

Edited by mithrilforge

Hey, thanks for thinking on it a minute. No need to send me the piece (though I really appreciate the offer!) but could you maybe measure it for me if you get it out? It would save me borrowing my pal's micrometer to take interior measurements if you could.

My current plan for the door is to cut out the styrene rectangle and chop up a Warrior to glue to it, then I was going to use the apoxie sculpt I have kind of like your swirls idea since it cures very hard. It's what I've been using for the corners so far since I trust it to retain shape through the wear and tear of going to to game.

Thanks Tyriks, it has the double effect of being a focal point and taking (in my mind anyway) some of the pressure off sculpting a portal. Plus I figure why not right? Gotta make a door anyway and I have a couple spare and unbuilt Warriors. Edited by NTaW

O.K. to make it easier to strip the sand and glue off of my own Monolith,last night i managed to get the front door piece out... before i even read your response today :biggrin.:

I will measure it tonight when i get home from work and respond with the dimensions here. :thumbsup:

Gotta say I'm enjoying your story very much and also your growing army too :wub: well done sir,it inspires me greatly to get my own Dynasty back up and running!

Cheers,Mithril

++ I have seen the warrior stepping through the portal conversion before,it's very cool looking and will do wonders for the monolith,especially in your paint scheme!

gallery_9146_583_1035.jpg

Edited by mithrilforge

That's amazing, thanks Mithril! :thumbsup:

I feel like I'm done editing the next entry in the story, bringing the timeline up to the end of the most recent battle. I really had to resist going into further detail since it was such an epic fight. I might, upon completion, go back and revisit this whole story to flesh out multiple perspectives and also tell more of my friend's side of the story as well. I truly did not expect to enjoy writing so much.

------------------------

Gobs of luminescent bioplasma had arced through the sky before the battle began, impacts leaving behind frothing puddles of the mucoid substance regardless whether it struck hard rock outcroppings or the living metal of Necron torsos. The massed firepower of the arranged phalanx of Warriors was no match for the sheer numbers of the foe despite them flowing directly into the prepared kill zone. Swarms of chest height bioforms ran ahead of a variety of larger ones seemingly intent on miring the defenders in their remains, broken bodies piling high and offering cover to the encroaching horde. As the front lines began to falter a particularly aggressive breed of hunched aliens moved with lightning fast speed to dismantle flank defenses, breaking through the Warriors and engaging the few Immortals remaining who guarded Kal'Teoch and Malhet.
   “These creatures fight with no regard for the codes of battle,” observed Malhet as the Immortals clashed with the attackers. “You must use the Capsule of Tel’Mhora to leave this place and reinforce the Praetorian’s position. I will fall back and do what I can with our remaining forces here.”
   Kal’Teoch looked over his shoulder to see Aaryekh and his Lychguard charging their position from the rear, voice booming indignant epithets heard clearly over the din of battle. He agreed with the prudence of Malhet’s assessment. Signaling acknowledgement he engaged the Capsule’s transpositanium matrix and a blue mist enveloped Kal’Teoch as well as the Immortals, who never paused in their fight against the flurry of claws. As it thickened the Necron figures within began to phase out of existence, making way for the full fury of Aaryekh’s counter attack.
   The Immortals who only moments before were engaged in brutal melee combat now emerged into existence on the other side of the battle with gauss blasters leveled at a hulking Tyranid, presently swinging four long bladed arms at a unit of canoptek Wraiths, removing chunks of its thickly armoured torso with their precise aim. As it slumped to the ground the Warriors standing just ahead of where they had materialized were suddenly hit by a swarm of miniscule burrowing sub-creatures, bright sparks firing from individual holes as they became fissures and body parts fell asunder. Almost a full unit gone in an offhand salvo fired from the weapon arms of a massive winged bioform as it dodged a beam from the Triarch Stalker’s heat ray, the Praetorian marking the target as the alpha Tyranid of the group.
   Looking up from the bodies of the Warriors as they phased out of existence here on the surface, transported back to their stasis chambers for repairs, Kal’Teoch saw a Doom Scythe flying erratically across the sky. Buffeted by the psychic energies of the Tyranids, panels of armour crumpled and fell away while the pilot struggled to maintain altitude. This position was in no better a state than where he came. Even under the time dilation effect of his chronometron the Immortals could do nothing more than defend themselves against the unending tide of green crested aliens. He could feel the strain on his power core as it kept the field maintained through multiple breaches, dealing with those Tyranids personally with blasts from his staff of light. It would not last much longer. Knowing the battle lost but the defense of the planet far from over Kal’Teoch triggered the phase protocols for himself and the Immortals. Casting one last gaze across the moving carpet of chitin that obscured the snowy ground he wondered how Dalrekh fared with the internal systems.

------------------------

Edited by NTaW

Nice, thanks for using metric as well. Now that I have all I need to deal with the door I really need to finish the corner reconstruction. Turning out to be a bit more of a pain than I expected and I'll need some finer grit sandpaper. The stuff I have is a bit too coarse for this scale.

WHEEEEEEELP I gave up on the Monolith to work on the Cryptek, ended up sending GW an email re: "another lesson in failcast, why do I even bother". Ended up giving up on both models to the point where I may just buy a new Monolith and make this one into a bonfire. 

Either way, having moved on has opened up some time for Mr. Destroyer Lord. I've still gotta concoct a 2500 point army for the final match of my campaign and he will bring me up to 2241. Here's a shot of Head-Dress Attempt #1: The Fez-ening:

27764489178_b44d744f7a_c.jpg

I may use a fresh blade once it's cured to sharpen up some lines there or I may be totally disgusted with my work and start over entirely. Help me decide? Next up is some pointier shoulders before I tackle the robe.

Furiously making more Scarabs all the while. If I only put three or four per base like a normal person I'd be able to churn out almost a full squad per week, as it is I'm lucky to get two bases done. If there's one thing more tedious than waiting for washes or textured paints to dry it's watching GS cure! :lol: