NTaW's Thokt Dynasty

NTaW

My plan was to get square corner gloss black dice with light blue engravings of (potentially anyway) the designs on that poor mauled piece of paper. If there's a few people interested I may just have to do proper versions to send to manufacturers for quotes. There is the potential that switching colours in the engraving mid process would be possible allowing for more variety (like purple.

This is the colour blue I've been contemplating for the dice, as well as a progress shot on the doomsday cannon:

46969917464_44cfb8d51a_z.jpg

I like the Thokt colors so if you do those I'm down (it's also basically my Thousand Sons scheme) so changing colors wouldn't be a necessity on my end.

Gloss Black dice with light blue inlay is cool :thumbsup:  and sounds like it will be not a jarring combo so i will be fine with those colours too (Tron comes to mind as well :cool.: )

Doomsday cannon gets a vote of confidence too :thumbsup:  actually looking forwards to seeing this leviathan of a weapon carrier done in your colours!

Cheers, Mithril 

Living dangerously though using the same type of cup for both beer and paint water...

My exact second thought when I saw that picture. My first was “is that beer?”

I thought he had one Beer and one Lemonade :biggrin.:

Mithril

Ok I'm going to get some proper digital renders of these to scale to shop around and get some quotes. Even if I only find a couple more people locally this may just be attainable! Will post pics asap of course.

White is almost done! I'm getting a few minutes here and there as the day progresses.

EDIT: Woo!

32822512847_bff82acaaa_z.jpg

47765963911_b8ba507a50_z.jpg

I have since slapped a bit of blue basecoat on the flayer array and nose. I may have to do something about the big silver spine I went with once all is said and done. Maybe blue potlights where the dark squares are.

Edited by NTaW

Loving the cold blue on the gun, mate!

I would recommend that you do something about the spine. Too bright, IMO, (looks like it has flash in the photo) and that’s coming from someone who basecoats in chrome auto primer.

That said, it’s the only issue I have with the model, and it otherwise looks awesome.

I have to say I actually like how bright it is. I like the contrast of it, but it also fits nicely with the Thokt scheme. And if any army has a good excuse to look clean, it's Necrons, I say.

That's sunlight coming in from the window in the photo, to me it's not so much the cleanliness but more the consistency of colour with no break. I may add some black (back, regretting decisions now) along the spine to break it up a bit. Blue potlights are still a possibility, I may even do both. Either way I'll wait until I'm done the rest of it to pull the trigger there. This is my first army not having any GW official artwork or painting guides to go on so there's been more than a few "uh have I made a good choice?" moments throughout.

I will say it already looks better with some blue on the flayer arrays.

I took a top down pic of my army yesterday before a game and I'm unsure. I will have to finish the rest of the model before I can really make a decision, but I am a bit hamstrung on execution since I have now glued it together. We'll see how this shapes up.

46864035565_225a9c45c5_z.jpg

As for the game, it was vs. Tau playing the Beachead mission from CA2018 and I managed to win! I have decided once my DDA is done I'll be building and painting 5 more Lychguard to make that unit something really worth Veiling across the table. I have also decided shield drones are a pain in my metallic behind :lol: Ultimately I won because I moved up on the mid-field objective fast and he left a soft flank on his objective for me to Veil in and charge, taking his home objective, killing his warlord with mine, and wrecking his missle-spewing battlesuits (after my DDA killed the ocean of shield drones from across the table). Tau are a real pain to weather the shooting of, which is something Necrons have a leg up on and it's still rough, but if you get to combat (past all the Supporting Fire overwatch) they really fold.

• 1 month later...

I have managed to begin unearthing my hobby boxes now that the rest of the house is in working order. The humble beginnings of my first ETL vow:

48068650736_6b00b2735d_z.jpg

In the meantime since it's raining I may start the process of building some Lychguard so that once it's prime (:lol:) weather I can get more than one model sprayed.

• 2 weeks later...

So I went out and got myself a brand new bit for drilling out magnets (last one was ancient) and magnetized the weapon on the Spyder and saw it was basically perfect weather for priming so I stepped outside to get some blackening done.

...and then about halfway through the model my fresh can of primer's nozzle snapped off. :down:

I had a chance to get back to the local GW (now about a 30 minute drive) Sunday but they were closed. I know they will just replace it but it's just so sad looking at a half primed model having no ability to get back to that store for another week.

Dude... are you trying to make us cry ?!, I’m feeling all emotional now cause I know how frustrating that is...

maybe keep putting other models together so you can Prime them all together with the new can!.

My condolences on the can of spray...

Mithril

Well, looks like I may have some extra time in a reclined position because it seems as though I've broken my pinkie toe. Le sigh.

Lychguard here I come! :lol:

Caught it on a box of unassembled ikea furniture as I was weaving my way around what I was building to get my beer. Not even sure that it's worth getting x-rayed since there's nothing much to do for a little toe. My new job doesn't start for a week and a half so I should be good if I just keep off it as much as I can. Fortunately it seems isolated to the toe and not the rest of my foot. Kinda looks like I spilled some of those nice contrast purples and tried to catch it with my toe in the meantime.

There's even a vent under my desk where I can rest it with cold air coming out while I work, really it's the best option for me to build models and play video games for a minute while this heals up.

*musters most Canadian accent I can manage

Oh ya, totally for sure, eh? :lol:

• 1 month later...

0% work on the Spyder but HOLY SMOKES I got a good deal on some Necron models.

48495231617_3c5418b927_z.jpg

48498196747_2b4e116643_z.jpg

3x Annihilation Barges w. gauss underslung

36x Necron Warriors

6x Scarab bases

Nightbringer (not pictured)

10x metal Flayed Ones

2x Lords (from AB set)

6x Destroyers

All for $120 CAD :lol:yes:

There will be dust removed but despite this being their first army the paint was thinned, and considering the simplicity and blackness of my army's scheme I'll probably just be painting right over top of the existing work. Since I have a Nightbringer already I'll have to figure out what to do with the other one. At least now if there's any chance of a revow for me I have "easy" models to bang out instead of having to clip, clean, build, and prime.