NTaW's Thokt Dynasty

NTaW

okokok I went back to the Spyder today for a few bouts and finished the black and silver properly. Blue tomorrow, kid willing.

EDIT:Blue has finally been started, and I even went out and got more black and silver paint so I can roll right on afterward. Here's to a productive week! :tu:

Edited by NTaW

Thanks :tu: My army is done on a simple astrogranite drab with splotches of valhallan blizzard around. Pretty standard snow base really, definitely got the recipe from the Citadel app. Edited by NTaW

Thanks Mithril! The wee scarabs are cute but I'm curious about where the big ones they spawn for game use come from....?

Some non-ETL work, since I'm waiting on word about the pre-painted models I'm willing to work on next for the sake of involvement, because I want to ride this wave of holding a brush while I can.

Plus this has been partially painted for far too long.

48571352492_b6e052e874_z.jpg

100% looking into a better lighting setup for painting, which will lend itself to better photos at any time of day.

Edited by NTaW

I struggle a lot with lighting. I got a bunch of lamps for the war room so I never have any issues seeing what I'm painting but I have yet to find a good setup for pictures.

I still don't have a dedicated hobby spot in the new home, but that is mostly because if I want to paint I basically have to do so in the moments where my son is preoccupied with a show or snack which means kitchen table work. My mobile setup is a bit neater with baskets for paints now but I need a mobile light option pretty badly. Figure whatever I get could likely also work as the light source for a small light box to improve my picture taking but we'll see how it shakes down. I know most small box options I've seen utilize LED strips but I haven't really gotten into it yet.

Yeah, I had one that was super cheap and fell apart after a few months. It worked well while it lasted l, it used led strips. I've considered buying a new one or just making one by spray painting a decent box white and gluing led strips on. Maybe I'll tackle that sooner and let you know how it goes...

Bottom layer of dark blue completed, light blue will hopefully commence this week.

With the light box wouldn't it be better to use (photography) paper? Spraypainting the sides may not reflect the way you want.

Turns out I meant white matte finish bristol board. You could use white spray paint so long as it was matte but you would get a near perfect finish using the bristol board curved up behind your model. If you google "DIY lightbox photography" you'll see all the same stuff I'm going to try before Amazon. Plenty of decent leftover boxes in the basement and I pass a dollar store on my way home from work. Just need to nab some lights, which is on the list anyway 'cuz I'm sick of sitting on a weird angle at the table so I don't block what little light I have.

There is stuff like this, though I'd have to do more research to find out what it is exactly. Link in spoilers due to size and I'm posting from mobile at the moment.

Edited by NTaW

Yeah, I've been watching videos of people making them. Everything on Amazon under like $30 looks identical to the cheap one I had that broke after a few uses so I'm definitely going to build one! I'll probably spray the box itself but I agree that Bristol board will be better for the backdrop.

I was thinking of taking on this little project today but I've been liberated of the car so maybe I'll just crack my brand spanking new pot of Lothern Blue and see how closely GW matched paints across generations as I move forward with the DDA. I've had it for probably close to a year and it technically isn't even fully assembled yet so it's a bit of a sore spot in the cabinet :lol:

Just painting them separately. I finished all the light blue after I took this photo in an unexpected timeslot so now there's just white, which has already been started, and a blue wash to go the I'll be adding those bits on. Chances are pretty good I'll be painting them before they go in place.

See you guys have the right idea, i glued the whole damn thing together ages ago before asking sage advice from people who'd painted one already...:facepalm: 

it's really annoying trying to paint hard to get to area's that are visually well seen... :confused:  

I have learn't from that though and my DDA is in four pieces for when i paint it.

is this for the ETL?  NTaW...

Mithril

This is the first model in my whole time collecting (started in the early 90s) that I have had to paint in pieces. The last time I cared about hard-to-reach details was when the plastic Land Raider kit was first released and I spent a couple weeks painting the full interior only to accidentally glue the front doors shut :cuss::lol:

Since then I also painted my Spyder in a couple pieces so I could get the tiny critters inside the carapace.

This is outside of the ETL, Mithril. The models that I had wanted to vow given the amount of time left are too close to the colour scheme that they will end up being so I went back to painting the DDA that I have neglected for the sake of that poor Spyder (that I never really intended on painting so soon in the queue).

• 2 weeks later...