Salamanders in Imperial Armour Index

DwarvenJTH

What do people think about the rules for Salamander characters in the new Imperial Armour Index: forces of the adeptus astartes?

I think they all look pretty good and fairly fun and interesting to play. Hoping to use them in game soon. Has anyone had a chance to play them yet?

There are the same as from the old Badab War characters that forgeworld did. So Captain Pellas Mir’san (2nd Company Captain), Bray’arth Ashmantle (Venerable Dreadnought) and Master Harath Shen (Master Apothecary). 

Pellas is cheap and cheerful, I would imclude him over a regular Captain for flavour.

Harath is a super Apothecary. You get, for a mere 9 points over a regular Apothecary,you get D3+1 wounds recovered, so a guaranteed 50% increased to healing. You also revive models on a 3+ over 4+. Solid inclusion. Downside is...he has no save due to a typo. It just says "+" next to his armour value.

Brayarth is a beast as usual but 400 points!

Yeah I have emailed forgeworld about Harath's save but as yet no reply, I assume it means he automatically passes all armour saves right? ;) 

I think that I will probably included all of them over their generic counterparts. Hopefully going to get a chance to use them in a game tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

Having just purchased and gone through the IA, and now knowing the chapter tactics for Sallies from the upcoming book, it's hard not to say that Bray'arth Ashmantle is the best unit in the game.  Obviously slightly biased here, but he's just a complete beast and I'd put him almost as good as Guilliman, although still slightly more points.  

I like Captain Pellas too, as the +1 T or +1S (whichever it is for Warlord Trait) will boost him a lot as well.  

Now I just wish we could have access to Ba'al Predators and heavy flamers in tactical squads.  Here's to wishing. 

Bray'Arth is strong as a fighter, but he's not even close to Big Robs bubble of "everyone is a god now". Re-rolli all hits and wounds is insanely powerful. Salamander CTs are good, but a world away from the sheer power of that ability.

That's before we even get to he extra command points and morale benefits.

He is however reallllly good at annihilating entire swathes of infantry.

That's why we've got He'stan :D

Stick them both together for maximum fun, but even on his own he gets some rerolls just for being green. Add flamestorm aggressors and season well. Because oh my.

Pellas does quite well out of our CT too, reroll on the 4+ bolter is nice and rerolling a wound on Cinder Edge helps maximise the good AP and damage.

Harath will make our already tough characters even more resilient, and could help keep those multi meltas firing longer. Plus, is cool having an apothecary character.

About twice the cost of an ironclad.

4+ ignore wounds, tougher than a landraider.

2 flamestorm cannons strapped to his hands. That do thunder hammer damage.

2 x CQC range flamers that are pistol type.

Usual dread smashy fists.

Trade off is short range, and no buffs.

Can someone "tease" me the rules from Bray'Arth? Is he worth to buy?

Im looking for a nice Salamander-Character which fits in my army Next to Vulkan

Sally characters are almost all great. The only exception is Pellas, for me personally, as a stabby Captain doesn't really suit my games in terms of what I bring. It's almost all ranged, but I suppose he's a nice charge deterrent....

All ok now, the approval thing vanished years ago.

Tournaments might differ of course, and it's up to the TO then. But otherwise go for it.

One caveat though; obviously a game is supposed to be fun for both players. Don't rock up with something g like a Titian without discussing it first. Characters are fine though!

All ok now, the approval thing vanished years ago.

Tournaments might differ of course, and it's up to the TO then. But otherwise go for it.

One caveat though; obviously a game is supposed to be fun for both players. Don't rock up with something g like a Titian without discussing it first. Characters are fine though!

Thanks. Tournaments and Titans aren't on my radar just yet. :wink:

I certainly don't want to be THAT GUY either. I like the thought of having a few more options with my Salamanders.