The Calixis Crusade - Into the Outer Dark.

• 2 weeks later...

This is part 3/3 of the background on my crusade. 

Part 1-Mourning and Retribution: Click Here

Part 2-Marshals and Martyrs: Click Here

INCOMING ASTROPATHIC TRANSMISSION

=][=

+ + + + + + +TRANSMITTED: Scintilla, Calixis Sector 

+ + + + + + + + +RECEIVED: Karina Aeshma, Personal Astropath to Inquisitor Raum.
+ + + + + + +DESTINATION:  Inquisitor Raum, Black Templars Strike Cruiser Volsung, Calixis Sector
+ + + + +  + + + + + + DATE: 9.850.053.M42
+ + + + + TELEPATHIC DUCT: Garand Helfar
, Personal Astropath to Lord Inquisitor Valac.
+ + + + + + + + + + + + REF: INQ//440156.55//OH
+ + + + + + + + + +AUTHOR: Lord Inquisitor Valac, Ordo Hereticus
+ + +  + + + + + + SUBJECT:  Rebellion in the Calixis Sector
+ + + + + + + + + THOUGHT:  "There are no miracles, there are only men." - Saint Sabbat

Inquisitor Raum,

I have received your transmissions, and I must believe that the casual familiarity forming between yourself and your quarries is nothing more than investigative technique and not fraternization. The latter would be disturbing, to say the least. 

However, the information in your last communique did prove to be beneficial in establishing a link between various investigations that this office has been conducting in the Calixis Sector. Typically, I prefer not to share too much information between investigators in my service, but I believe this case warrants it. Inquisitors Barq'ch, Velissa, Raeph and others have all independently reported uncovering heretical cults during their own investigations. These cults seem to share very little in common with each other. And what else would you expect of heretics? The faithless have no foundation, no core of unity, no exemplars of perfection to aspire to. That said, there is one common thread of similarity that runs through these cults. Their rites of initiation all involve the killing of a figure of imperial authority, and presenting their severed hand to a member of the cult. 

The detail of the hand of Byrenus in your last transmission, in correlation with other investigations under my command, has lead me to believe that these cults are part of a broader conspiracy against the Imperium. I believe the cult has been fomenting heresy in the sector for quite some time. But the timeline of events leads me to conclude that the fall of Valais IV, as you described it to me, is the origin of the practice of presenting a severed hand as initiation in to the cult. If I am correct, that would mean that we are dealing with something that goes beyond rebellion and insurrection. With the Word Bearers at the heart of the conspiracy, one must assume the threat to be daemonic in nature. Moreover, this particular warband of Word Bearers seems to so adept at establishing secret cults that they have even been successful in spreading their heresy among loyal chapters of the adpetus astartes. There are reports of recently corrupted marines fighting openly with the heretics.

This brings me at last to my reason writing. Do not become complacent. Do not waver in your resolve. Do not become too comfortable among the Black Templars of Calixis Crusade. Their unorthodox beliefs which you described to me may be dismissed as the usual....quirks we see among the various chapter cults among the adeptus astartes. Or they may be something more. Any deviation is suspect.  Remain vigilant.

In His Name,

Lord Inquisitor Valac

>>ATTACHED TELEMETRY DATA<<

>>PROCESSING...............................<<
>>DOWNLOAD COMPLETE<<

6736887//INQ

=][=

Edited by +Chaplain Matthias+

• 4 weeks later...

I'm almost done with my 3D version of Chaplain Matthias. Check it!  https://skfb.ly/6KACM

Pro-tip: If you have a VR headset, you can view it in VR. I tried to make him sufficiently huge. So if you ever wanted to know what it feels like to stand before a real Space Marine, now's your chance! I don't have a headset, so let me know how it looks!

Well done! Great rigging, the weight of the movement really comes through. My only note is that the arm motion comes across the body too much on the forward swing, as if hunched over a slight bit. We have VR headsets at my work and i'll definitely check this out tomorrow when I have some downtime!

Well done! Great rigging, the weight of the movement really comes through. My only note is that the arm motion comes across the body too much on the forward swing, as if hunched over a slight bit. We have VR headsets at my work and i'll definitely check this out tomorrow when I have some downtime!

Thanks! I look forward to hear how it feels at full scale. I agree about the movement. It's a generic walk cycle from Mixamo and it sorta makes him feel like a gorilla. I'll update it when I upload the next iteration. I can't wait to see it in VR for myself.

• 5 months later...

I just posted a rant in another thread about how no one updates their crusade threads anymore because they just get drowned out by all the whining-about-rumors threads. So I figured I should put my money where my mouth is. 

I never posted my final ETL vow here. So this is a picture of the Sternguards I made. This picture was taken when the agrax was still wet so forgive the pooling and shininess.

Rvrbxsc.jpg

In ACTUAL news, I split "Dark Imperium" with one of my heretic friends and I've started painting up my half. This is my first squad of dirty, dirty intercessors.

2XEJEny.jpg

eucLSVt.jpg

I actually sort of hate the color combo of red on black. I always feel like there should be white between them. So it was a big step for me to do the Word Brother's shoulder pad in the official scheme like that but I actually like how it turned out!

I really like these! I would also like to see people update their crusades more, it gives me plenty of inspiration, what did you use for the legs?

Thanks! The legs fro the sternguard are from Cataphractii Terminators. I can't find them on bits sites anymore. I think everyone caught on to how awesome they are and snatched them all up

• 9 months later...

I've been working on my word bearers and slaves to darkness for a while. But with the release of Indomitus, I am diving back into my crusade. To celebrate, heres some lore. To read the first 3 parts, go to the first post in this thread. You'll find them all there.

INCOMING ASTROPATHIC TRANSMISSION

=][=

+ + + + + + +TRANSMITTED: Vaud, Valais System, Calixis Sector
+ + + + + + + + +RECEIVED: 
Inquisitor Lord Valec, Ordo Hereticus
+ + + + + + +DESTINATION:  Scintilla, Calixis Sector
+ + + + +  + + + + + + DATE: 9.340.059.M42
+ + + + + TELEPATHIC DUCT: Karina Aeshma, Personal Astropath to Inquisitor Raum.
+ + + + + + + + + + + + REF: INQ//530551.25//OH
+ + + + + + + + + +AUTHOR: Inquisitor Raum, Ordo Hereticus
+ + +  + + + + + + SUBJECT:  New leads regarding cult activity in the Calixis Sector.
+ + + + + + + + + THOUGHT:  "No sacrifice is too great. No treachery too small."

Greetings Lord Valac,

It has been years since my last writing. Communication on this side of the great rift is difficult, as you are well aware. The fleet has been on constant crusade. The Black Templars have been scouring the stars in search of the Word Bearers battle barge known as "Voidgazer' and have yet to make any contact since the first encounter during the fall of Valais IV. I feel it was a lifetime ago that I joined the crusade. So much has transpired in that time. We have made contact with many desperate worlds who had no idea that the Imperium survives. We found many dead worlds as well. Some were abandoned; the debris of every day life lay in the streets as if the populace dropped what they were doing and fled, or vanished. Some worlds showed the signs conflict on an apocalyptic scale which stole my breath away. 

And some worlds, when we saw what had become of them since the sundering of the Imperium, we consigned them to the flame ourselves.

There were times when I suspected that our quarry had left this region of space. But each time that suspicion began to take root, a new lead would present itself. It was as if the heretics were toying with us; always staying just beyond reach, just beyond sight.  We found evidence of their cults everywhere we went. On many worlds, it is referred to as "The Cult of Ixxaas." The Black Templars have not allowed captives aboard any of the ships in our crusade fleet. Not even when I invoke my authority as an inquisitor will they relent and allow me to conduct an interrogation aboard the Volsung, therefore I have not been able to discover much more about this "Cult of Ixxaas."

After years of constant hunting, our losses have begun to eat away at the effectiveness of the crusade. And so, we have returned to the Valais System to re-stock and re-arm.  Valais IV, the world where the Calixis Crusade was born, is still a shell of it's former self. However, the Black Templars left a small garrison on the world to secure it, and if possible, to recruit new neophytes from among the survivors. I await in orbit while the astartes make planetfall to check in on their garrison. They hope to return with fresh recruits. Tomorrow, they will return and we will set course for Vaud, the 5th planet in the Valais system. There we will spend 3 days re-arming and re-supplying and making ready for our next voyage. 

Two weeks ago we received credible evidence that the Voidgazer has been active in The Periphery subsector and may be operating out of some region in the Halo Stars to the galactic north. And so the Crusade prepares to delve deeper into the darkness than we have yet dared to go. This may be the last time I am able to write to you for many years. We will be alone, beyond any hope of contact or communication of any kind. We will leave behind the human militia units and a small garrison of Black Templars to defend the Valais system, and then we bring the Emperor's Holy Retribution to the heretics we have hunted for so long.

In His Holy Name

Inquisitor Raum, Ordo Hereticus.

>>ATTACHED TELEMETRY DATA DOWNLOAD<<
>>PROCESSING...............................<<
>>DOWNLOAD COMPLETE<<

6736887//INQ

=][=

Edited by +Chaplain Matthias+