The Calixis Crusade - Into the Outer Dark.

+ THE CALIXIS CRUSADE +

CalixisBadge

PHOTO OF CURRENT CRUSADE FORCE

qR2ZkuX.jpg

+INDEX OF UPDATES+
1. Custom Cenobyte Servitors
2. True Scale Emperor's Champion and Jump-Chaplain
3. True Scale Castellan and Ven Dread
4. Black Templar Dorn! And bonus Landsknecht-Pattern Exo Armor
5. Custom High Marshal, Castellan, Hellblasters, Auto-Reliquary, and bonus Thunder Warrior
6. Custom Techmarines
7. ANOTHER Chaplain. Also a Gravis Captain.
8. CGI animated chaplain. Try it in VR!

9. First Intercessor Squad.

+INDEX OF LORE+
Part 1: Mourning and Retribution - An inquisitor investigates the unorthodox beliefs held by this small group of Black Templars and learns about the origins of the Calixis Crusade

Part 2: Marshals and Martyrs - Inquisitor Raum investigates a central figure of faith among the mortal forces of the Calixis Crusade and gains a deeper understanding of the origins of the crusade itself.

Part 3: Iconoclasts and Deceivers- Lord Inquisitor Valac weighs in on Inquisitor Raum's investigation with new information about a broader cult threatening the Calixis Sector.

Part 4: Into the Outer Dark - Inquisitor Raum prepares to join the Calixis Crusade on what is likely to be final push out beyond the galaxy's edge.

My crusade is a small but growing force. Originally it was just the 4th Fighting Company of a larger crusade in the Calixis sector. But due to the events of the fall of Cadia and the formation of the Cicatrix Maledictum, they have found themselves cutoff and lost. Unable to locate their crusade fleet, they have formed a new Crusade led by Marshal Gerhardt. Aboard 4th Company's strike Cruiser, the Volsung, they plunge in and out of the warp seemingly at random. Guided only by the visions received by their Emperor's Champion, they purge and burn the enemies of mankind where ever the Emperor's light happens to guide them.

+++Forces of the Calixus Crusade+++

Marshal Gerhardt

Marshall 1

Marshall 2

Castellan Belcus

Castellan

Castellan 2

Chaplain Matthias Vold (In powerarmor and TDR)

Chaplain

Chaplain 2

TermChap 1

TermChap 2

Sword Brethren in Terminator Armor

Termies

Term 3

Term 4

Term 1

Sword Brother

SB 1

Initiate with Powerfist (Special and heavy weapons users get a red stripe on the right pauldron for flair and so that I can find them lol)

Powerfist Initiate

Initiates

Initiates

Neophytes

Neophytes

Rhino

Rhino

Bonus Ordo Malleus Inquisitor because why not?

Inq1 1

Strike Cruiser Volsung

StrikeCruiser

++++++++++++COMING SOON++++++++++++++

Need to Paint

• Another BP/CS Crusade Squad
  • A 5 man Las/Plas squad
  • A basic bolter bros crusade squad
  • A bunch of special and heavy weapons guys for options.

Need to Buy

• An LRC
  • Grimaldus and Servitors (kitbashed)
  • A Dreadnought
  • A rhino or Razorback
Edited by +Chaplain Matthias+

This reminds me I need to post my own thread brother. (Through I am not one for painting I prefer model construction). You inspired me because we're neighbors! My Crusade is located at the mining world of Dalthus in the South East, just South of Stygian System.

• 1 month later...

Ok I need advise on what to get next. So far the only heavy weapons options I have are a heavy bolter initiate, and a lascannon initiate.

Basically my only anti armor unit is a single Las/plas squad. So, what should I take next? Predator, razorback, or dreadnought? Whatever I pick would be kitted out for anti-big stuff.

Terminators might also be a solid choice for anti-biggies, cyclone and a bunch of fists will keep most tanks and monsters honest.

Alas, all the options you mentioned are valid and maybe a Devastator Box wouldn't hurt to get at the heavy options for crusader squads.

Terminators might also be a solid choice for anti-biggies, cyclone and a bunch of fists will keep most tanks and monsters honest.

Alas, all the options you mentioned are valid and maybe a Devastator Box wouldn't hurt to get at the heavy options for crusader squads.

I'm torn between a Laserback on one side and a lascannon predator or an all lascannon dreadnought on the other.

The razorback provides transport, which I also need as I only have a single Rhino. But a predator or dreadnought provides firepower. Sounds like maybe I need both ;)

Real bad ass looking models, man. I REALLY like the idea of red tabards for sword bretheren. I may try it out for myself... 

Cool chainlinked Initiates, what bitz did you find those from? 

I also liked the weathered look you got going for everything. Armor, rhino etc...

Did you drybrush/sponge boltgun on black armor? Has a nice effect to it.

So many questions I know... 

EDIT: On my thread you mentioned how you do white tabards with a wash. I dig the result, white + agrax?

Edited by Brother Talarian

Hey thanks! Yeah I build up the white from brown and then agrax it like crazy.

The legs for all my guys are cut from Warriors of Chaos from WHFB. Then I greenstuff them on to space marine torsos. It makes them noticeably taller than standard Marines so I figure when I finally get primaris models, it won't be jarring. The only down side is that Warriors of Chaos basically have one pose. And since I've set the scale of my guys, I'm locked in to using those legs.

I use sigmarines and custodes parts for my named characters so they're slightly taller and more dynamic.

Oh and yeah I dry brush the black armor with grey and then very lightly pick out scratches with silver. Sometimes I flick the paint at it for a scattered chipped effect on larger models and sometimes I dry brush.

Ok so my original Emperor's Champion was more of just an unplanned spare parts kitbash. I liked him just fine but I wanted something unique.

Here he is:

qfNtSTF.jpg

I got the Codex and was reading the fluff about the EC that we've all read a thousand times, and then the phrase "Armor of Faith" really stuck out to me.

I thought, what if his armor is literally just faith? So I set out to model an emperor's champion with no armor on. I wanted him to be wearing robes from the waist down and to be naked waste up. I really wanted to represent the black carapace, or maybe just the soft under armor with all the ceramite removed.

So here's my first attempt:

zXGH4to.jpg

The head isnt permanently affixed yet. I don't like the hair style, I was just testing the scale of Empire Longswords heads because Space Marine heads are too big. He has a small power pack and one armored arm to provide power to the Black Sword. I like the look but as you'll see, there are some scale issues with the rest of my army. He fits the scale of vanilla marines perfectly with their squat little legs, but I've been using Warriors of Chaos legs to make my guys taller.

So on my second attempt, I figured I'd try to de-chaos-ify a slaughterpriest. Well turns out he's a MONSTER! Here's the work in progress...

qXxxHGQ.jpg

My plans for him are to shave down the shoulder pad and give him a terminator arm with a power sword and a forgeworld BT shoulder pad. His left arm will either be holding a forgeworld BT storm shield, or maybe swinging some incense from that chain.

The only problem is, he's HUGE! 

RmBeHyT.jpg

Now, my High Marshall model is kitbashed from Custodes, as you can see if you scroll up to the top of my thread. So he's taller than anyone else in my army including terminators. In fact my regular power armor is the same height as my terminators due to my conversions. So my Helbrect is nearly primaris scale. But this EC is even a bit taller. He'd fit in as a slightly more heroic primaris model. Once I'm done and I see how massive he is, I'll have to decide if he's just a display piece, or if in my crusade, a primaris recieved the emperor's visions haha

I think I'm going to make one more. I'll take the Warriors of Chaos legs that my whole army uses and combine them with that Ad-Mech torso I used on the really short version. That might be the winning combo.

fixing image embeds

What bits does your original custom EC use? I really like it.

The chest, shoulder, and halo all come from blood angels, possibly sanguinary guard. I was going for a grail knight theme with him so I wanted that cup. The legs are Warriors of Chaos from Fantasy. The sword with the plaguebearer head is from Grey Knights.

What bits does your original custom EC use? I really like it.

The chest, shoulder, and halo all come from blood angels, possibly sanguinary guard. I was going for a grail knight theme with him so I wanted that cup. The legs are Warriors of Chaos from Fantasy. The sword with the plaguebearer head is from Grey Knights.

Okay, thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice dirty veterans i like them very much.

Question: where are whoulder pads from?

Second one: What are the bits on This chainmail dude?

And And This belt with bullets tell me tell me tell me:):):)

Edited by Aegir_Einarsson

Very nice dirty veterans i like them very much.

Question: where are whoulder pads from?

Second one: What are the bits on This chainmail dude?

And And This belt with bullets tell me tell me tell me:):):)

Sure thing! The shoulder pads are space marine MK.IV pads I believe. The chain mail legs are from Warhammer fantasy warriors of Chaos. I had to cut the torsos off and greenstuff them to the space marine torsos. The bullet belt torso is from the khorne berserkers. I had to shave off any chaos icons and other filth.

Oh and just be aware that the warriors of Chaos legs will make your Marines taller. That's a good thing in my opinion,. But they'll stand out if you already have a lot of squat Marines...I mean vanilla Marines haha

I like that you've used the chaos warrior legs for these. I'm sure I've seen them on someone's word bearers on here years ago and some death guard recently but seeing them on Imperial space marines is innovative. Leaving the boots as they are, to me has made these different rather than ruin the look and has made a nice mix of medieval and tech. The colours on your sword brethren terminators are nice and give off a good knightly order vibe. :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...
Hey I have a conversion question. Hopefully this won't get buried. I've been experimenting with doing true scale Marines using cataphractii legs and front torsos. Same with tartaros. I really like the result. But, where do I go from there if I want to make terminators? I've never seen centurions in person. Are they way too huge? Does anyone have centurions and cataphractii/tartaros armor who is willing to take a picture for me? Edited by +Chaplain Matthias+