The Calixis Crusade - Into the Outer Dark.

Welp! I made another Chaplain.

Much like ZEAL, there is no such thing as too much faith.

Brilliant work brother. Is the flaming censer head on the Chaplain's crozius, one of your SE bits?

Welp! I made another Chaplain.

Much like ZEAL, there is no such thing as too much faith.

Brilliant work brother. Is the flaming censer head on the Chaplain's crozius, one of your SE bits?

SE bits? I'm not sure what that means. But it's from some sort of death guard kit. I don't know DG and they all look the same to me so I couldn't tell you which one.

The new additions look fantastic!

I love your painting style, you really do get across the grim darkness of the setting.

Thanks, I've been really inspired by the blanchitsu style and 28 magazine. 28-mag.com if you haven't heard of it. They just released their first issue. It really fills the gap left behind now that White Dwarf doesn't have a 'blanchitsu' section anymore :(

Yeah those are the models I Look at and wish for myself to have the skills to pull something like that of at some point.

Flipping though issue one of 28 was incredibly inspiring for me.

Oh man it's really not that hard. I mean, I don't have the talent or raw imagination of what you see in 28mag, but the techniques aren't hard. I barely even paint "in the lines."  The initial color blocking stage is a real slap-dash half-assed effort haha. 3 coats of agrax cover all the mistakes. The more imperfections you can convert into "texture" the better!

Eh. I am actually pretty content with where my painting skills are at. Dont get me wrong, there is (massive) room for improvemebt, but I would hazard the guess that there always is. And I am back painting since like 7 or 8 month and can look back on the 2k points I have finished in that time and See a clear progession, which is super cool, especially since I am not well known for my fine Motor skills in in my peer Group ;)

But looking at stuff like your conversions or the stuff I see in 28mag I dont even recognize which technique was used where, which I guess is a matter of practise.

And more importantly I am super in love and humbled by the creativity applied in posing and converting. I feel like that is what actually makes them Look not like converted dudes from sprues, but like a proper army of Individual. And makes the whole thing feel like there Was am artistic Vision behind it.

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

• 2 weeks later...

(This is part 2. If you want to read part 1: click here.)

INCOMING ASTROPATHIC TRANSMISSION

=][=

+ + + + + + +TRANSMITTED: Black Templars Strike Cruiser Volsung, Calixis Sector
+ + + + + + + + +RECEIVED: 
Inquisitor Lord Valec, Ordo Hereticus
+ + + + + + +DESTINATION:  Scintilla, Calixis Sector
+ + + + +  + + + + + + DATE: 9.850.053.M42
+ + + + + TELEPATHIC DUCT: Karina Aeshma, Personal Astropath to Inquisitor Raum.
+ + + + + + + + + + + + REF: INQ//440156.55//OH
+ + + + + + + + + +AUTHOR: Inquisitor Raum, Ordo Hereticus
+ + +  + + + + + + SUBJECT:  Saint Byrenus, the Martyr of Valais IV
+ + + + + + + + + THOUGHT:  "A single man of faith can triumph over legions of the faithless."

Greetings Master Valac,

While the astartes forces of the calixis crusade remain small, consisting of a single strike cruiser and it's small fighting company of marines, we have been taking on non-astartes survivors from the fall of Valais IV. Since my last correspondence, 3 new ships have been added to our growing crusade fleet. Two Imperial navy cruisers carrying soldiers from the Valais IV Imperial Guard regiment, and a civilian vessel full of refugees.  In order to gain a deeper understanding of the origins of the calixis crusade, I have been spending more and more time away from 'The Volsung' and aboard the non-astartes ships. At times blending with the civilian population. At others invoking my authority as an inquisitor to procure information. One story kept arising during my interviews about a martyr named Byrenus whom the human forces of the crusade regard as a saint and a hero.

During the period when the heretical cults of Valais IV emerged from the shadows and revealed themselves in open insurrection, those citizens and guardsmen who remained loyal to the imperium found themselves to be greatly outnumbered. The corruption had spread all the way to the top of Valaisan society. So much so that the loyal servants of the Emperor were forced underground. They managed to send a cry for help, which these Black Templars responded to. But they were months away and so the loyal citizens and soldiers dug in to wait. But one figure emerged among the survivors: Byrenus. He and his men obtained a transmitter, and his pirated broadcasts with messages of hope, faith, and duty inspired the survivors to form a resistance. Their goal over the coming months would be to undermine the heretical government through sabotage, assassination, and guerrilla warfare. But central to it all were the daily sermons from Byrenus. Through his faith, courage, and leadership, the loyal resistance of Valais IV would be ready to rise up and offer support when the Black Templars arrived.

And ready they were. When the former Marshal Sigurd and his forces made planet fall, they found a highly organized resistance network comprised of citizen guerrilla fighters lead by loyal Valaisan Guardsmen. During the ensuring months, the resistance fighters supported the Black Templars in their campaign to crush the cult that had taken hold of the planet. As recounted in my previous transmission, Marshall Sigurd fell during the assault on the governor's palace. Multiple sources all seem to support what happened next.

The fall of Cadia and the formation of the rift corresponded with the assault of the governors palace on Valais IV. In that instant, warp rifts opened all across the galaxy and the Valais system was no different. Warp-spawn poured into the throne room along with heretics of the Word Bearers legion. Marshall Sigurd was struck down in single combat by the lord of the Word Bearers warband. He was a champion of such terrible aspect that human soldiers who had stood faithfully in the face of the daemonic incursion of the throne room, quailed in fear and ran at the very sight of his emergence from the rift.  All men, except Byrenus. As the heretic champion stood atop the bodies of Sigurd and his honor guard, Byrenus charged in. His faith in the Emperor must have protected him as no other soul, human or astartes, as able to land a single blow on the word bearers champion that day. To "honor" the brave mortal who managed to lay a hand upon his unholy war plate, the champion struck Byrenus' hand from his wrist before taking his life. A trophy which he reportedly carries nailed to his pauldron to this day in grim mockery of the Emperor's faithful of Valais IV.

The sacrifice made by Byrenus that day delayed the chaos lord long enough for Sigurd's Sword Brethren to fight their way to his body and force the word bearers to retreat back through the rift. Thanks the the martyr Byrenus, Marshall Sigurd's body and sacred war gear were recovered by his battle brothers. As for Byrenus' body, it was interred in a walking auto-reliquary. The faithful mortal forces of the calixis crusade regard him as a saint and he still plays a central role in the crusade. When the fleet arrives at a world in the grips of heresy, the Astartes and Imperial Guard forces make surgical strikes to remove the heard of the cult. Simultaneously the resistance fighters of Valais IV are inserted into the civilian population of the world where they have become adept at organizing and training the Emperor's faithful to prepare them for the final push to liberate their world. Central to their efforts are the recorded sermons of Saint Byrenus. His walking auto-reliquary is not only a focus for the faith of the populous, but is also platform for powerful transmitters which broadcast his sermons over pirated radio signals. When the Astartes leaders of the crusade signal the final push to retake a world, the heretical rulers often find a zealous throng of the Emperor's faithful approaching their gates with the auto-reliquary of Saint Byrenus in the lead.

aV94AJE.jpg

In His Name,

Raum, Inquisitor - Ordo Hereticus.

>>ATTACHED TELEMETRY DATA DOWNLOAD<<
>>PROCESSING...............................<<
>>DOWNLOAD COMPLETE<<

6736887//INQ

=][=

Part 3: Click Here

Edited by +Chaplain Matthias+

Will that be scenery, objective marker, or counts-as? Cuz that's way too cool to just leave sitting on a shelf.

All of my minis just sit on a shelf so far haha. I haven't played a game of 40k yet. And only 2 or 3 games of kill team. I made it just because the design has been in my head for a while, but as I worked on it, I envisioned it being a moving objective marker. Maybe rolling for movement using scatter dice.