The Calixis Crusade - Into the Outer Dark.

• 3 months later...

I've finally found the time to paint the models I made for +Blood and Zeal+ last year. Unfortunately I still haven't found the time to figure out a better photo setup. 

I have more pictures on my phone but it died. I'll post more later.

EMPEROR'S CHAMPION

CNQGJz0.jpg

pX4XOXW.jpg

JUMP PACK CHAPLAIN

hhZjJ9Z.jpg

I still need to do the highlights on the candles and the bloodletter's head as well as the blood effect. But otherwise they're done.

My story behind the Emperor's Champion is that the bones of my crusade's first champion are set into the Armour of Faith. Each time a champion dies and the armor is passed on, their name is inscribed on a small golden skull and inlayed into the breastplate.

Oh and basing. I still have to do basing. Damn.

Outstandig work. The idea and execution behind your crusades armour of faith is great as well.

Really love the attention to detail and pose on both models. Especially the boots give them a really great knightly flair.

I am not convinced about the Champions crotch shield though.

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

Outstandig work. The idea and execution behind your crusades armour of faith is great as well.

Really love the attention to detail and pose on both models. Especially the boots give them a really great knightly flair.

Yeah me too :/ unfortunately it was pretty mangled after I removed something that was a little too stormcast eternal for my liking and I had to cover it. If I knew how to use green stuff, I would have made a tabbard Edited by +Chaplain Matthias+

Greenstuff is super tricky, yeah.

I have made a tabard and two or three cloaks out of greenstuff on superglue-hardened paper/thin cardstock. They look barely passable. So yeah can't really recommend anything in that realm of things.

So he used to be a Stormcast? I have been looking at the easy to build stormcasts for maybe doing company champions or honour guard.

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

Awesome work brother!

How did you achieve that amazing Gold? And how did you age the white parts?

Love the use of templar brethren armour

Thanks! My process is really simple. 

1. Prime and basecoat all at once with automotive primer/paint 2-in-1. (If you want to paint like me, be sure to get terrible coverage. Leave whole sections of the model unprimed by accident.)

2. Block in all the non-black colors. (Don't worry too much about painting in the lines  perfectly, step 3 takes care of that most of the time.) I use vallejo silver and gold for the metals. And for the white, usually I build it up from brown. So it goes brown>Whatever tan-ish paint I have>A mix of that tan-ish with white>Maybe highlight in white but maybe not. I like to keep it warmer by not highlighting with the cold white most of the time.

3. A G R A X  E A R T H S H A D E

4. Repeat step 3 at least one more time. I've very heavy with it. I like using agrax better than nuln oil because it adds variation to things that don't have color. Like the silver parts. 

5. Drybrush. The white parts I don't usually dry brush, I keep them dirty. But the black parts I usually do a heavy dry brush with a very dark grey. Basically I have dark-grey templars instead of black. And the black just remains in the recesses. 

6. Lastly, my favorite part, very light edge drybrush with silver and gold. And I mean everywhere. Brush silver onto your blacks, your metals, your whites, your reds, even the very very edges of your gold. 

7. Cover up all the silver edges you accidentally got onto your leather/cloth/paper parts.

8. Very lightly pick out gold spots that you want to pop. But very sparingly.

That's it! I'm a very loose painter because I'm lazy and because I like the grimy blanchitsu look.

Edited by +Chaplain Matthias+

Greenstuff is super tricky, yeah.

I have made a tabard and two or three cloaks out of greenstuff on superglue-hardened paper/thin cardstock. They look barely passable. So yeah can't really recommend anything in that realm of things.

So he used to be a Stormcast? I have been looking at the easy to build stormcasts for maybe doing company champions or honour guard.

Yeah he is 80% constructed from the Lord Relictor model. The torso is a Red Scorpions torso from forgeworld. 

Hey ya'll! The holiday allowed me to finally paint two very special projects that I've been looking forward to. The first is our glorious resurrected primarch Roogle Doogle in Templars colors! Here's a video:  https://i.imgur.com/yGxPjTA.gifv

And here are some pictures.

AuxRxye.jpg

tDOoIRQ.jpg

5wGklQQ.jpg

uvyb6wu.jpg

The second project that I've finally had time to build and paint isn't Black Templar related but I don't know any other place to post it. I'm like 75% Swiss and have a strong connection with my family in 'the old country' so this is my tribute to that ancestry. I based this off of the crazy ostentatious landsknechts. In-universe I imagine him to be a rogue trader with a really cool mech suit that he uses to go big game hunting on the edges of the galaxy. 

And here are some pictures...

jCPsESN.jpg

W0JBO1X.jpg

oTJCKYn.jpg

SunhqZI.jpg

iFtTQvQ.jpg

hPqvMRA.jpg

Maybe one day I'll work out my camera situation.

Love your Dorn. If I ever get that model, I will also put him in black armor (circa Scouring Era).

Your Landsknecht is a brilliant concept and I could envision him in a lot of different roles "in game". I will definitely look into that idea (already got the sword ;) ). To confirm, his body is the Ad Mech giant robot?

Marshal Vespasian, on 16 Nov 2018 - 04:22 AM, said:http://bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_images/carbon_red/snapback.png

Yeah me too :/ unfortunately it was pretty mangled after I removed something that was a little too stormcast eternal for my liking and I had to cover it. If I knew how to use green stuff, I would have made a tabbard

Did you know you can do both? One of the best ways to practice your gs skills is to cut a piece of paper or thin sheet plastic in the general shape of your tabard.

Then put a blob of gs on the whole area, let it sit for a couple of minutes, then use your sculpting tool or clay shaper to work folds into fabric.

Keep playing with it until you get it the way you want or the gs dries on you.

When you get something you like, you can either paint it up and glue on or glue on and  paint. Given your style, I'd recommend the  former.

BTW, I'm a big fan of your aged, dirty style.

Cheers,

Love your Dorn. If I ever get that model, I will also put him in black armor (circa Scouring Era).

Your Landsknecht is a brilliant concept and I could envision him in a lot of different roles "in game". I will definitely look into that idea (already got the sword ;) ). To confirm, his body is the Ad Mech giant robot?

Marshal Vespasian, on 16 Nov 2018 - 04:22 AM, said:http://bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_images/carbon_red/snapback.png

Yeah me too :/ unfortunately it was pretty mangled after I removed something that was a little too stormcast eternal for my liking and I had to cover it. If I knew how to use green stuff, I would have made a tabbard

Did you know you can do both? One of the best ways to practice your gs skills is to cut a piece of paper or thin sheet plastic in the general shape of your tabard.

Then put a blob of gs on the whole area, let it sit for a couple of minutes, then use your sculpting tool or clay shaper to work folds into fabric.

Keep playing with it until you get it the way you want or the gs dries on you.

When you get something you like, you can either paint it up and glue on or glue on and paint. Given your style, I'd recommend the former.

BTW, I'm a big fan of your aged, dirty style.

Cheers,

Thanks! I'll give gs a try soon. Yeah the landsknecht is mostly a kastelan robot. Gk nemesis sword. The head is from empire longswords I think. And my favorite bit is the leather collar for the pilot. That's from kharadron overlords. I think skyriggers. Oh right and the monster head is a Chaos Lord manticore from Fantasy.

I'd love to see your version of a landsknecht-pattern mech suit!

Edited by +Chaplain Matthias+