Paladin - Terminator. How do the models differ?

Dremiah

In recently reading some threads on how people proxy certain models for others, and people's disdain/acceptance of such practices, I'm now wondering: Model wise, what separates a Paladin model from a Terminator one?

In recently reading some threads on how people proxy certain models for others, and people's disdain/acceptance of such practices, I'm now wondering: Model wise, what separates a Paladin model from a Terminator one?

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/catalog/product/600x620/99120107001_PaladinsSquadNEW01.jpg

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/catalog/product/600x620/99120107001_TerminatorsNEW01.jpg

It's the book icons on the backs, and the scalloped helms.

Those book icons on their backs break off way too easily, so I stopped using those at all right away. In previous editions, the only difference between my GKT units and Paladin units was loadouts: Paladins could have the Apothecary, Standard, and two Heavy weapons in a squad, so that was how you could distinguish them. Now that Aothecaries and Ancients have been pulled out as separate Character units, and it isn't really worth the investment to buy the Heavy weapons, my Paladins and GKT would be identical.

Yeh I agree those icons snap off too easy!

Ill he trying to distinguish them now by having as a "cleaner" shinier models than my GKTs.

There is some distinguishment in the helmets but TBH that's super subtle for most people.

If you come up with a more interesting and thematic way of doing it I would certainly be interested to hear / see!

In fact, the helmet thing is not mandatory either. There's pictures in the GW books with mixed helmets in the same unit.

In practice, there's absolutely no difference between the models, unless you want them to be. Some people just use more accessories on the paladins or paint them differently, but that's a matter of taste. I don't like using too many accessories in general (and also agree on the icons, I find them ugly too) and all my miniatures are well painted, so in my case there's no difference  between terminators and paladins.

I use the tilt shields for squad differentiation (all the same shape on a squad, sword icon on one combat squad with no icon on the other), and the flat helms for my GKT. Never actually bothered to make Paladins, just used my old metal GKT as such. However, my Mordrak's Ghostly Bodyguard use the round helms and book iconography, which in my mind are how GK Paladins should look in older armor with more honors.

SJ

Honestly I recommend using some specific base work for the easiest differentiation. As Val said, those books break off too easy. I do have mine done that way but if I were starting over I'd just do fancy bases.