Advice on fleshing out my homegrown chapter

Stewie_Mc

Hi all

I'm new to the lore side of things, 10+ years back I just painted never really played and since getting back in to modelling I've been watch you tube and reading alot about the lore of different races. Marines and alsorts and.has given me a real urge to create a chapter lore an all.

I like the idea of my chapter being fleet based and travelling all over, also.id like them to work with the inquisition namely a group of inquisitors, the relationship is mutually beneficial to a degree, but not always, loyalties and tempers and.tested at times.

Would this be viable as an idea I know typically the sm don't really trust the inquisition but I'm.sure some.chapters will work with them often?

Also I was wondering if any chapter tend to shun the mechanicus like land raiders, bikes,speeders etc preferring to be a more troop based chapter? I like the idea of my chapter not using much machinery except dreadnoughts as the are marines still and drop pods.

Thanks all in advance

If your Marines don't use tanks, what are they using for heavy support and transportation? Drop pod deployment is NOT stealthy, and running on foot is too slow- even for the Astartes. Do they ride animals into battle, like Space Wolves Thunderwolf Cavalry? Do they use aerial gunships in place of self-propelled ordnance weapons?

Moving this thread over to the Liber Astartes.

The Inquisitor idea is certainly workable. By and large, the Inquisition and the Adeptus Astartes as institutions don't necessarily have a lot of trust for each other, but neither side is really known for being very institutionalized in the first place. Likely, this relationship is simply because the Chapter and this group gets along, and only lasts as long as their goals coincide.

As for shunning the Mechanicus and therefore most mechanized forms of warfare, Bjorn brings up a good counterpoint. You can still have an infantry-heavy army though, if that's the main intent you're looking for. Look to the Death Guard and World Eaters as they existed before the Heresy for ideas. You don't need to cut out your vehicles and armor, you can just focus its use to supplement your infantry rather than the other way around.

In terms of shunning the Mechanicum, likely a little too extreme in eschewing the use of vehicles etc for combat. You could possibly stretch it down a Beliefs factor for the Chapter, being that it is a grave insult and dishonour to not die upon the battlefield standing up face to face with the enemy.

I'd be interested in seeing how this goes, it could possibly also go down the route of the Chapter having lost a large amount of their armour from a catastrophic Campaign or the destruction of their homeworld or their home fortress, a'la the Crimson Fists.

Plenty of options to choose from in making the story of why they fight with feet planted firmly to the field of battle.

Cambrius

Edited by Brother Cambrius

You could make you requirements for your armor very specialized, for example the Subjugators (a canon Imperial Fist Successor) only use the Annihilus Pattern Predator and it insulates that they only use the Crusader/redeemer pattern Land Raiders.  I would not make this a major fluff point but flesh it out a little and give it a good reason from their point of view and bam....you got a little depth to your chapters character.