Primarch Vulkan

Jagus Kumkani

A few times now, I've read forums here that talk about Vulkan in a negative light. The general consensus about him and his sons is that they are compassionate and defend humanity even when it's not favorable. Most people here don't think Vulkan is as exceptional as his brothers, I disagree. Vulkan is a warsmith just like Ferrus and Pertarabo, he understands his place in his Father's plan. Like Ferrus, Vulkan had never looked for affection from his Father and carried out his duties with diligence and righteous fury.

If anything, he like his brother Ferrus are the epitome of what a Primarch is supposed to be.

His compassion and regard for his Father's followers shouldn't be viewed negatively but favorably.

Do the Salamanders and Vulkan need to be expanded upon? Absolutely.

I believe too that everyone has their favorite Primarch, the typical slayer of beasts and for alike. Russ, The Lion, Dorn. "Damn those that aren't like us, the weakness of the shells disgusts me!" Or something along that lines.

In my opinion Vulkan gets mad shade thrown at him for not being like Guilliman or Dorn.

What's are your guys thoughts???

The problem I see is that their compassion, the most notable part of their character, has been overblown. I love Vulkan and the salamanders for it, but if used in a wrong way, you forget that they are compassionate only compared to the other primarchs and legions. They are still genocidal war machines. That fact has to remain in place for the salamanders to have noble hearts without sounding out of place.

For me, their compassion means they see humanity as the object of their efforts. Not glory, not power. We need to see them at their most ruthless, engulfed in flames, purging the ennemy, so we can appreciate what it means to be compassionate in such a setting.

I agree....good point. I think that's the issue with the books written on the Salamanders. Their compassion and regard for humanity, like you said is overblown.

In the Salamanders Trilogy, that part of the Salamander is expanded upon briefly. Not only are the Salamanders worried about the civilians under their charge but they understand that the enemy is more important and they're bred to make war. I think people misinterpret that very aspect and forget they're ruthless killers. I mean, they prefer to burn everything to death for Emperors sake.

I think if my city were under attack, I would want Salamanders around more than anyone else, but that doesn't mean they are any more lenient on heretics and xenos. They are stalwart defenders, holding the line, and master craftsmen. Many legions encourage some connection to humanity, art and craftsmanship from the blood angels, salamanders, and white scars, while the salamanders often live amongst humans as well. I've always loved the Master Artisan and Humanists angle of the Salamanders and Vulkan. They seem like true angels to me, caring for and loving those they defend, burning and destroying their enemies by any reasonable means. Edited by HCMistborn