Sandbagged vehicles in 40k?

Alright so my shadowsword generally sits still in many games, I want to add a more fortified feel to it because its generally so immobile in my games. I considered sandbags, but would we have sand bags in the 40,000 millenium? If we don't have sandbags then I cant think of a good alternative to bulking my shadowsword with more cosmetic defence. Thoughts?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/dancap3286/shermansandbag.jpg

I can't see why not, many tankers covered their vehicles in sandbags, extra metal plates, bed frames, and spare track links during World War II. But, well, if you have the level of protection offered by a shadowsword, I don't think the sandbags would help at all.

I will go for it then! Even if minuscule in realistic terms, I think it would greatly help the crew have their minds at ease to know they have that little extra defence during battle. Not to mention the end product will hopefully look great and better than any extra armour plating ever would. Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated :happy.:

There might be a weakness in the armour and the sandbags are there to disguise where it is and make the crew feel a little better mentally? Edited by SW1

Sandbags absolutely exist. All you really need are some bags and dirt from whatever world you happen to be fighting on.

Plus, if you want to go for hyper realism, you could model a couple Guardsmen filling sandbags as punishment for irritating their officer.

Although a sandbag should be a horrible anachronism and utterly useless against weapons 40,000 years into the future, it certain does fit the Imperial aesthetic.

If you were going to make sandbags out of green stuff, that'd take quite a long time to bulk out a Shadowsword.  I've found, however, that a lot of the pre-made hobby sandbags are just always off scale for 40k.  The ones from Pegasus Hobbies are the best scale-wise, in my experience, although they're totally inflexible and are flat on one side, so getting glue to stick to them so you can stack them is problematic.

Otherwise, if you really wanted to go all out, you could create some sort of spaced armor out of plasticard.  Now that would be a chore!

One completely untested idea:

I don't know that you need to make individual bags if you're (very?) good at sculpting. Put a large blob of GS where you want it, and sculpt the surface to look like many stacked bags (with perhaps a few single bags to add here and there).

What about using chew pouches? Here is a brief tut: http://40khobbyblog.blogspot.com/2016/03/easy-28mm-sandbags-out-of-chew-pouches.html

I would personally want to dry them out as much as possible and then seal them really good (the tut mentions dipping them in glue, but I would want at least one poly or future coat over them before paint. Just an idea.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Brother-Chaplain Kage, July 20, 2017 - double post
Hidden by Brother-Chaplain Kage, July 20, 2017 - double post

++ Dang it++

double post , due to super slow computer and super fast button clicking ... :sweat:

Mithril

Edited by mithrilforge
  • 4 weeks later...

When I used to build armor models, we'd cut rectangular shapes from a roll of putty, flatten them somewhat, press a rough fabric (like actual burlap) over the surface for texture and then pinch the edges with a sculpting tool.  Place it on your tank before it dries and press it into shape.

Much easier than sculpting the putty while it's on the tank.