Ferrus Manus: Gorgon of Medusa

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Ferrus_Manus:_The_Gorgon_of_Medusa_(Novel)

According to this and a summary on Simon and Schuster, it will involve Gardinaal. So everyone who wanted Titans vs AT-ATs in the Great Crusade, commence drooling.

I've heard Guymer praised but don't know anything he's written. Can someone recommend me any of his work?

I haven't read it but Eye of Medusa would be the obvious choice as it's the start of what's supposed to be an Iron Hands trilogy. Other than that he's written two books in TBA and a bunch of stuff in fantasy, Gotrek and Felix and Skaven mostly.

Its a pity that reviewers of Eye of Medusa have said its garbage though.

Saying that I will still give it a bash.

Eh, it wasn't bad. Not great but decent and interesting. I put down some notes here but overall I thought plot went off the rails a little towards the end and the most curious threads didn't get resolved at all, though I didn't know it was the first part of a trilogy. The action was a touch dull, even for fill-in-the-blanks space marine fighting, but there's good character work and Guymer definitely put a lot of care into fleshing out the IH and their internal politics/culture.

There were also some interesting structural things Guymer did with how he retold it. They ended up being connected to some specific elements of the plot but it was still playing around with different voices in a way that I haven't seen with any other BL writer.

I wasn't bothered with getting Ferrus Manus before Eye of Medusa but now I'll give it a shot. Guymer's old WHFB stuff was good too but he's clearly not just writing some IH stuff to get it out of the way and move onto the next thing, if you get me.

Edited by Sandlemad

According to this and a summary on Simon and Schuster, it will involve Gardinaal. So everyone who wanted Titans vs AT-ATs in the Great Crusade, commence drooling.

I've heard Guymer praised but don't know anything he's written. Can someone recommend me any of his work?

Gardinaal and Great Crusade made my interest. Maybe it will be better than the dreadful Eye of Medusa.

It's exactly what Sandlemad   said:

'Eh, it wasn't bad. Not great but decent and interesting. I put down some notes here but overall I thought plot went off the rails a little towards the end and the most curious threads didn't get resolved at all, though I didn't know it was the first part of a trilogy. The action was a touch dull, even for fill-in-the-blanks space marine fighting, but there's good character work and Guymer definitely put a lot of care into fleshing out the IH and their internal politics/culture.'

Gotrek & Felix final duology, 2-3 of the The Beast Arises books, 4 of the AoS audio dramas, and some more.

I really do not like that front cover for Ferrus Manus: Gorgon of Medusa the whole back pack thing does not work for me. In my eyes Ferrus was a warlord who was also pretty darn good with using the right tools for the right job, not carrying a back pack full of them :wacko.:

However, love the plot line for this, really looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

Now I have read Eye of Medusa and thought that his version of the iron hands culturally was second to none. He gave them more depth and history than we have ever seen in any BL publication. In my eyes the Iron Hands are quiet simply the toughest bastards out there and in the novel Eye of Medusa that really comes across. The story however could of been a bit tighter in its narrative and momentum but overall I enjoyed it and look forward to his next book in the series.

Edited by Pariah32

I know he is a Primarch and it wouldn't matter that much... but if I was a superhuman warrior with lust for victory that is like a itch you can't scratch I'd think I'd leave the bulky backpack behind.

Is there any information on it? Is it some archaeo-tech? It looks like he's bringing his lab set mountain climbing.

Although I like the face. Ugly but almost Noble.

Edited by Augustus

Gotrek & Felix final duology, 2-3 of the The Beast Arises books, 4 of the AoS audio dramas, and some more.

His Gotrek duology - yes. Last Son of Dorn and AoS - yes. But his other beast arises novel was dreadful, but not as dreadful as the Eye of Medusa.

I know he is a Primarch and it wouldn't matter that much... but if I was a superhuman warrior with lust for victory that is like a itch you can't scratch I'd think I'd leave the bulky backpack behind.

Is there any information on it? Is it some archaeo-tech? It looks like he's bringing his lab set mountain climbing.

Although I like the face. Ugly but almost Noble.

Almost Noble - haha :teehee:

HeritorA you are right and wrong... Guymer did write one of the worst TBA books (Echoes of The Long War) but he also wrote one of the best (The Last Son of Dorn) so at present my views on him are mixed.

And I said the same actually, lol 'But his other beast arises novel was dreadful' - I meant Echoes of The Long War exclusevely. :wink:

But 'Eye of Medusa' issss mucccchhhh worse than anything else (in my humble opinion) - it's exactly as Sandlemad said

You got ForgeWorld to thank for that backpack. The cover for Fulgrim didn't have it either (though it was still bulky). It is one of the things that FW thinks they need to add or change while doing their thing, producing inconsistencies or cliched characters.

Maybe he had a couple backpacks and ....you know....picked whichever one he thought was needed? The daytripper, the weekender, the weeklong vacation, and the "screw you dad, i'm not coming back!" one.

Pariah32

'However, love the plot line for this, really looking forward to seeing how this plays out' - you mean Gardinaal or Eye of Medusa?.

'His version of the iron hands culturally was second to none'

- right, cause we have so much novels about IH to date.

How about Wraight's 'Wrath of Iron'? In my humble opinion in all my sincerety I can't fathom how readers can like 'Eye of Medusa' more than 'Wrath of Iron'.

'The story however could of been a bit tighter in its narrative and momentum' -  on that I totally agree.

Anyway even if Guymer's HH Iron Hands would be the same as in the 'Eye of Medusa' - I do hope that narrative will save it, cause it will include Gardinaal and apocalypse class warfare

• 6 months later...

Haven't seen anything floating around yet but Track of Words did this interview with Guymer: https://www.trackofwords.com/2018/01/20/rapid-fire-david-guymer-talks-ferrus-manus-gorgon-of-medusa/

The sense of it being set in a particular time sounds interesting. It seems to be set as things are shifting from 'early great crusade with a strong Terran/core worlds influence ' to something that would end up at the heresy's outset

"It’s set at the height of the Great Crusade, many years before Ullanor. It’s a time when everything is going right for the Imperium (on the surface at least!), but also one of great change. Primarchs are still being rediscovered, the Fist of Iron is still shiny and new, Mars is slowly supplanting Luna and the Urals as the engine of the Imperium, and within the Legion Medusans are starting to displace Terrans. It struck me as the perfect moment in time to show Ferrus Manus at the height of his powers."

Forgot there was EC involvement. Characters are promising, and I like that they're drawn from the EC tertiary cast.

Add the sentiment about his next Primarch and I'm properly intrigued.

Edited by bluntblade

That's the thing, the FW book displays a fascinating battle pulling in Iron Hands, Thousand Sons, Emperor's Children and hungry-for-redemption Ultramarines. It really highlighted Ferrus's status as 'senior primarch' and reminds you that he was one of the commanders of hosts in the early great crusade, leading the third great prong of the crusade while Horus and the Emperor led the other two.

The tricky thing with such a multi-legion cast is writing characters from each legion and not having them revert to the stereotype/archtype of that legion, a la Battle of the Abyss. It's reasonable in a sense because those inyer-legion/chapter dynamics are easy and fun to work through, as anyone who's played the Deathwatch RPG can confirm. It would be simple just to have a snooty EC who will contrast well with the stern IH but I feel that'd miss out on the chance to get some interesting characters in an interesting situation. Here's hoping Guymer lands it.

I’m hopeful this novel makes the Ferrus Manus character for me. He has been woefully unrepresented and uninteresting throughout the whole HH so far alongside being a giant hot head that fails at nearly everything. I will be most pleased if he is at the very least shown to be a competent leader with some form of personality other than a bland “person what works with metal”.

The blurb for the book on the BL website said something about Ferrus working to prove he’s the best choice... for Warmaster? Where did This come from? He led an arm of the Great Crusade?!

Ugh, see this is why I want this book so badly. I know almost nothing of Ferrus as a person, or a leader, or a brother. This may be the only book I ever get that delves into his character (barring the SHEER HERESY of a 40k resurrection ala some form of madness), and I really want it to be good. I’ll buy it regardless, because I’m not a major shareholder of GW and can’t force them to make what I want.

*fingers crossed* Everyone who’s been reading the Primarchs series has been saying that every book in it has been better than the last. Here’s hoping that’s not just fanboys salivating and that the trend continues.

FW delves into it. He's the third Primarch found, so it stands to reason. Pity BL didn't work harder on the Iron Hands prior to Isstvan before now. I certainly wouldn't say no to a Ferrus cameo in another book; I'd love to see him interact with Horus, Angron, Russ or Sanguinius.

Cheers for the quote, Sandlemad. Although it leaves me curious as to the timeline placement. The BL blurb makes it sound like it's late in the Crusade, with considerations of a Primarch becoming Warmaster coming up, while Guymer's quote sounds like something earlier to me.