Top 3 Units for killing screens and onion caps

Sandokann

Hello heretic fellows, just wondering if we could make a ranking of the best units we have for deleting big squats of mass little guys like conscropts, cultist, Astra Militarum, DE birds , gretchings, etc

My concern is to delete in my first tur those big unnits of 30 little guys that are screening my oponent important tanks or squats.

Im looking for something that shoot at at least 36¨ with S 4, AP 0 or -1 and 1W and I need that it kills at least 20 T3 A5 W1 guys a turn.

That way in T1 Ill be able to open a corridor for my big guys, DP, Magnus, Heldrake to get in and get to melee.

I will rank them in terms of points/kill, i dont care their survability as I know my oponent will be shooting all his army to my big guys in the first turns.

I want suggestions from Heretic marines, chaos demons, imperial armor chaos and even Astra militarum renegades and heretics., specially from this 2 last.

Thank you very much for your help... lets make those DP, Tzeench burnig charriots, Magnus, khorne heralds and heldrakes get to combat with real important units.

Death to the false emperor.

quad HB Rapiers put 12 heavy bolter shots per turn for 82 points, plus two bolters frpm the crew. Three syationary at 36 inch range will score on average 16 wounds before saves with ap-1 and damage 1 against enemy units with T4 or less. Two such units should net your requested 20 to 30 kills vs cheap screens 36" distant at a cost of a bit under 500 points.

Renegade & heretic heavy quad launchers at a roughly equivalent price to rapiers are only slightly less efficient (one less hit on average, lower ap), but have longer range and don't require line of sight, so might be an attractive alternative. Edited by malisteen

A fire raptor with quad heavy bolters & balefire missiles, while not at all cheap at near 400 points, will put about 16 wounds on infantry per turn on average before saves, with ap -1 or better, damage 1 or better. A flier wing of 1 such fire raptor plus two drakes should be enough to peal a screen first turn, with the drakes then charging through the gap to tag the units behind. That's around 800 points of your army, though. Edited by malisteen

1. Baledrakes, because nothing says "I hate you" like d6 hits followed by a 1st-turn charge

2. Heavy bolter Havocs

3. CSMs with missile launchers.  No really.  A ten man squad can take TWO missile launchers, providing a maximum of 2d6 frag missile shots, one frag grenade, and fourteen bolters shots.  You have to get a little closer than you might otherwise want to to make that happen, but force the enemy to roll enough saves and they'll fail some.

I'm killing hordes with Noise Marines right now. The Sonic Blaster is Assault 3, S4 and ignores cover, so with a unit of 5 you can deal 12 shots (plus the blastmaster, but I would use those against heavier targets. They might not be the cheapest unit, but they have loads of utility, I really reccomend them! Also the champion can take a combi-bolter in addition to the sonic blaster for even more shots.

I'm killing hordes with Noise Marines right now. The Sonic Blaster is Assault 3, S4 and ignores cover, so with a unit of 5 you can deal 12 shots (plus the blastmaster, but I would use those against heavier targets. They might not be the cheapest unit, but they have loads of utility, I really reccomend them! Also the champion can take a combi-bolter in addition to the sonic blaster for even more shots.

Then have an Emperors Children character near then and Oomph! Things go down!

...Or just throw Khorne Berzerkers at them. 10 dudes with chainaxes is 42 S6 Ap-1 attacks due to fighting twice is bound to do some damage. Keep their chainswords for 20 more at S5.

The point of stripping the screen, though, is to let those berzerkers charge the stuff behind them.  Like, the entire point is to avoid the exact situation of your melee units charging a screen and, whether they kill them or not, getting shot to bits at point blank range in the following turn.

If you don't like to do this,

...Or just throw Khorne Berzerkers at them. 10 dudes with chainaxes is 42 S6 Ap-1 attacks due to fighting twice is bound to do some damage. Keep their chainswords for 20 more at S5.

or this,

Hellforged Derederos with Butcher cannon arrays (heavy 8 Str 8 -1 ap) greater cannon arrays (heavy 3 D3 Str 6 -1 ap)) and twin heavy bolters can throw out some insane amount of dakka to really punish hordes

You can always go with triple hellforged scorpius whirlwind (651 points), and each can spite 3D3 (6D3if didn't move) S6 Ap -2 D2 at 48" shots, you can also purchase a havoc launcher for everyone, to add D6 S5 Ap 0 D1 each, also at 48"

Maybe triple scorpius is a bit overkill but you get the idea :P

Triple scorpius kills 15,999 boyz for 651 points

Triple deredeo kills 17,778 26,667 boyz for 696 points

Edit: corrected numbers since the boyz don't have any armor save.

Edited by Brother Aiwass

2 min havoc sqauds with 4 flamers + combi flamer each

In a rhino with a extra combi flamer is 307 points

It kills about 22 t 3 models with a 5 plus save from the flamers alone.

The threat range is 17+1d6 inches since you can advance and still fire assault weapons.

Sprinkle in a 4 heavy bolter havoc squad for 105 points to finish them off if you like.

Or just spend a tiny 420 points for 4 havoc squads with 4 heavy bolters.

I'm sticking a 4 flamer havoc group in my landraider along with a squad kitted out for assault.

I probably won't be using them to burn down a screen until turn 2 though.

Triple quad heavy bolter kills 71.28 boys for 738 pts.

How are you getting 71 kills with 36 shots? :huh.:

If I did it well, they get 16 kills (36 shots, 24 hits, 16 wounds, no saves).

Scorpius 40 points per wound

Deredeo 25 points per wound

Rapier Quad Bolter 10 points per wound (would be nice if you also explain how do you get 3 quads costing 738 pints)

If you want point efficiency, get rapiers (3 squads of 3 cost 504) which would kill 48 dudes). If you want to wipe whole mobs with cool models, get deredeos.

Cheers.

Edited by Brother Aiwass

Some inspirational quotes:

"ATTACK! BREAK THEIR BAAAAACKS!", "ATTACK! RIP THEM IN HAAAAALF!".

Couldn't you assault the chaff with a rhino?

Also, isn't this the exact situation Raptors and Warp talons are for? Jumping over the punks and stomping the real bad guys?

Edited by Trevak Dal

Triple quad heavy bolter kills 71.28 boys for 738 pts.

How are you getting 71 kills with 36 shots? :huh:

If I did it well, they get 16 kills (36 shots, 24 hits, 16 wounds, no saves).

Scorpius 40 points per wound

Deredeo 25 points per wound

Rapier Quad Bolter 10 points per wound (would be nice if you also explain how do you get 3 quads costing 738 pints)

If you want point efficiency, get rapiers (3 squads of 3 cost 504) which would kill 48 dudes). If you want to wipe whole mobs with cool models, get deredeos.

Cheers.

I was thinking three full squads (9 actual rapiers) and using Battlescribe for the points (silly me) and had forgotten about the wound roll. So a fail all around. Pointswise, if I figure it out myself, I come to 621 points for 3 squads of three. Rapiers are 20 each, crew are 13 each, and guns are 36 each. So (20x9)+(13x9)+(36x9). So you only added the crew once for one gun? Why? I could maybe see only adding it once per unit (13x9), but the rules are a bit unclear to me in this.