Top 3 Units for killing screens and onion caps

Sandokann

There are 2 crewman per gun, no 'up to' on the added crew wording, they come in distinct groups of 2. So (20+13+13+36)x9, which makes 738 the right total for 3 squads of 3 quad heavy rapiers.

Output when stationary at 36" is 108 shots, 72 hits, 48 wounds, 40 average casualties vs W1, T3, Sv5+ models in the open.

On the move, vs the same targets in cover, thats 108 shots, 54 hits, 36 wounds, 24 casualties on average. If the movement brought you within 24" of the crew, thats an extra 4 casualties from their bolters.

There are 2 crewman per gun, no 'up to' on the added crew wording, they come in distinct groups of 2. So (20+13+13+36)x9, which makes 738 the right total for 3 squads of 3 quad heavy rapiers.

Output when stationary at 36" is 108 shots, 72 hits, 48 wounds, 40 average casualties vs W1, T3, Sv5+ models in the open.

On the move, vs the same targets in cover, thats 108 shots, 54 hits, 36 wounds, 24 casualties on average. If the movement brought you within 24" of the crew, thats an extra 4 casualties from their bolters.

40 casualties vs conscripts, yes (at 6+ save). But since I didn't add the point cost (because I'm that brilliant), 738 points equals to 18,45 points per wound, not 10 as I said before.

Very silly to have not mentioned it before, Heldrakes are amazing in being extremely obnoxious against several units. Especially screens and the like. It will go down eventually for sure but it is likely it will grand you that one or two turns you need to set your self up for either point blank shooting or melee combat. 

The Heldrake is quite expensive though so doesn't leave much room for error. Which in essence means, know where you will charge it into and know how much will fight back at it if the opponent Falls back with charged unit X. If possible charge unit X and Y. It's tough enough to risk that lot of Overwatch most of the times.

What about renegades Heavy weapons squats with mortars? At 3 points each creo and 5 points each mortar. You can get 6 mortar for 48 points. X3 youll get 18D6 shoots for 144 points. 7 points per wound again conscripts. And you don need LOS.

What about renegades Heavy weapons squats with mortars? At 3 points each creo and 5 points each mortar. You can get 6 mortar for 48 points. X3 youll get 18D6 shoots for 144 points. 7 points per wound again conscripts. And you don need LOS.

You kill ~14 conscripts (i don't have the index with me, but IIRC is S5 AP0 D1) which gives me 10 ppw. Which is nice but not close enough to neutralize a blob, sadly.

C beam cannons can be quite hilarious as if you kill a model with one ( which if your targeting a large squad your basically guaranteed to kill one since the cannon is pretty much overkill on single wound models :D) the unit suffers an additional 2d6 hits as the first casualty probably explodes rather spectacular :D though what's quite surprising is that they are quite a cheap gun ( cost of 6 melts bombs ) so you can have two on a decimator for 150pts or a raiper platform for 76 with 2 CSM crew members and if you not blasting large squads you can easily target vehicles etc to cause just as much damage :D Edited by Plaguecaster

You kill ~14 conscripts (i don't have the index with me, but IIRC is S5 AP0 D1) which gives me 10 ppw. Which is nice but not close enough to neutralize a blob, sadly.

don't conscripts have a 6+ save?  with ap0, you kill on average 11.66... conscripts.  18d6 averaging 63 shots, 21 hits at the renegade's terrible BS 5+ (despite costing as much as guard heavy weapon teams), 14 wounds before saves, 11.66... wounds after 6+ saves.

What are the thoughts on a Hellforged Predator with every possible flame weapon?

Infernal Flamestorm Cannon, 2 heavy flamers and a combi flamer

4D6 Str 5 Ap -1 auto hits, and D6 S4 auto hits

And unless I'm understanding the new rules wrong, don't flamers auto hit in overwatch?

Plus, if it gets below half wounds, it doesn't look bad (for a tank) at munching things in melee, since it's WS goes up as it dies.

Also seems like a nice distraction to charge it directly at enemy lines.

I haven't played in a while and just thinking about getting back into the game with 8th, but it doesn't seem like a bad choice to me.

don't conscripts have a 6+ save?  with ap0, you kill on average 11.66... conscripts.  18d6 averaging 63 shots, 21 hits at the renegade's terrible BS 5+ (despite costing as much as guard heavy weapon teams), 14 wounds before saves, 11.66... wounds after 6+ saves.

Nope, they have a 5+ flak armor save.

What are the thoughts on a Hellforged Predator with every possible flame weapon?

Infernal Flamestorm Cannon, 2 heavy flamers and a combi flamer

4D6 Str 5 Ap -1 auto hits, and D6 S4 auto hits

And unless I'm understanding the new rules wrong, don't flamers auto hit in overwatch?

Plus, if it gets below half wounds, it doesn't look bad (for a tank) at munching things in melee, since it's WS goes up as it dies.

Also seems like a nice distraction to charge it directly at enemy lines.

I haven't played in a while and just thinking about getting back into the game with 8th, but it doesn't seem like a bad choice to me.

The combi flamer is negligible, the S5 attacks kills 4,667 MEQ or 7,7 GEQ which is pretty low for the points (against GEQ, killing 4,6 MEQ is not bad because forces battleshock).

Flamers auto hit on overwatch if the charging unit is within range before the charge is made.

Maybe it could work as a distraction carnifex :)

even worse then, only looking at about 9.33... average casualties against conscripts from the maxed out mortar squad.  Maybe not completely terrible for the points, but not the best use of a heavy slot in any format that limits maximum detachment count, which in all honestly will probably be pretty much every format.

Edited by malisteen