WAAAAGH GorGak! invades the B&C.

Warhead01

I just missed an auction for 15 Storm Boys yesterday evening haha. They'll stay on my list for later. 30 more is a bit much of an investment right now as I'm stocking my warchest for the codex and new gubbinz. 

Update.

Well yesterday was productive! 18 new 32 MM bases all sorted out and Models glued on. 15 Lootas and 3 Spanners with KMB's. all of these need paint work in some form or other. Most of my lootas are in a bad state right now and I might just part with most of them in the future. I may only keep 25 Lootas in total. 

Update.

Small update with pictures today.

I'm still working on these lootas. Probably over thinking them haha.

med_gallery_3442_13347_34325.jpg

15 of them were rebased and looking better now. Kinda just adding colors to parts of their weapons and cleaning up the skin colors for now.

And not long ago I rebased some metal Nobs. Just got their bases sorted out with a little scrap and painted. The Nobs however, need some repainting.

med_gallery_3442_13347_159231.jpg

I got a little too creative and it don't look so good now. Not worried though a repaint wont take much work, just going to clean up the armoured bitz.

I'm thinking about changing GorGak's head, still have to hit that particular bit first. In around here some where, or I don't have it. We'll see.
And to finish this update.

I just ordered some paint to repaint all the eyes of the Orks! A fellow Mek over at da WAAAAGH forums has this eye color that's just madness for his lads. And I found it on Ebay and it'll be here probably early next month late this month. I'm very excited to kick my Orks up to another level of crazy!

• 4 weeks later...

Heck of a month isn't it.
I kicked off Orktober theright way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxa8LXr3BCg

Having won a battle....  I moved on to painting more mini's.

1009181238b.jpg

I needed another Burna Bomba in my list for our club tournament on the 20th of October...Next saturday.

1009182025.jpg

1009182025a.jpg 1009182025b.jpg

I found 2 more old Metal Burna Boys and got them sorted out as more Kill saw Spanners!

0907181150a.jpg 0907181150b.jpg

This brings my total up to....9 of them! 
I don't expect I will ever need more than that. 

I'm nearly done with a Blitza Bomba as well. Pictures soon-ish and am soon to start yet another Burna Bomba.... 

I've got my list sorted out for the tournament i mentioned. Just about happy with it. But I will probably play it the way I have it now.

Just about sorted. Not very competitive but what ever I guess.

Warboss HWKC kustom shoota 66

Weird boy 62

Weirdboy 62

SAG Mek 80

Pain boy power klaw 53

Tankbustas 8 chinork rattler 218 + 28 points (2 Tank Bustas.)  246

Burna boys 8 chinork rattler 218  -28 points (2 burna boys.)  190

Boys trukk 11 kustom shoota  152

Burna Bomba 132

Burna Bomba 132

Blitxa Bomba 134

Blitza Bomba 134

My goal was to field models I painted over the summer. 

Not the strongest army ever but it should be fun to play.  

I love the style you have in your paint jobs. Like an impressionist or something, works really well for Orks. Do you have any videos or step by step posts on how you do it? I imagine it's a very creative, organic process (at least the end result looks that way).

I love the style you have in your paint jobs. Like an impressionist or something, works really well for Orks. Do you have any videos or step by step posts on how you do it? I imagine it's a very creative, organic process (at least the end result looks that way).

I gave you a like because of my ego. haha :biggrin.: You flatter me. 

Hummm Well I do have a really video I did in 3 parts years ago.. Let me look for it 

However, I don't really do things that way any more.  

It's fairly easy if your not "afraid of making a bit of a mess". 

I can put a small tutorial together I think, not sure how good it will be. 

Simply explained you need a few ragged brushes to get started. A small, medium and large brush. small as in maybe A GW base brush, then move up a size or two to maybe an army painter regiment brush and them a large brush like something cheep for crafts painting, no idea where I got mine, these can be cheep crafts brushes in a pack if you don't have any ragged "nicer brand" brushes around.  

All I am doing is layering really. I build a rust base with some dark browns, I use craft paint for that because it's used for a lot, base coats and washes. The rusty color is a kind of Orange I got on clearance at a hobby Lobby in a large bottle for almost nothing compared to GW, P3 prices. 

I use a burgundy, also a crafts paint for my red. The thing is a lot of the large areas are done in craft paints. You just kinda stab the lighter colors on to the base brown but don't cover the whole areas like you would 'two thin coats" something. We're not doing that at all.  You can even apply some metallic spots the same way. It should look ragged on the mini. 

Now just build a nasty filth rusty base coat with brown and rusty orange. + or - the metallic color.  

After that pick 3 or 4 brighter colors, your choice. I usually use a fiery Orange, a olive Green, yellow- bright is good., and a bright blue. Just pick a small hand full of colors. thense are to pick out small panels, wire, small details. One trick is if the thing you want to paint, maybe a cable is recessed into a dark area or just under something and not easy to get to/see., Paint that in your brightest color then it will pop because it is so dark around that color. 

If I have any rules that's probably the first or second one. another is don't, if it is avoidable, put the same two colors next to each other! or at least do it as little as possible. So, no bright blue next to another bright blue detail. 

Now you may be thinking I don't want my vehicle to just be rust colored. No problem really. Just pick 2 or 3 colors, two is probably enough, and stab them on in a pattern you like. covering large areas of your rust base. Remember it's layering so dark color first then the next should be one or two shades lighter, how ever you prefer it. 

Last few things. Scratches and dents. I do this with a clean sharp tipped brush. I pick a bright silver color and just draw lines . So they look like glancing hits or scratch damage to the paint think front to back and angular from bottom to top but not up and down think about the direction of travel the vehicle moving forward and the glancing shot scratching at angles along the hull, wings, top, where ever. Or maybe it plowed though something so it can be heavy scratches. You can google forklifts and bulldozer pictures they take the kind of scratches I am referring to, as reference.  You can add more lines near your silver lines in black or dark brown, what ever look best. thing lazer burns and carbon scoring. 

Lastly washes!

Wash them models down with both black and brown but remember you can cover different spots with either or both in any combination you think looks best. Now, I use my craft pains thinned down with water for my washes for these kinds of thing not regular washes but super thin paints and apply them, let them dry then add more if I think it would look right. 

Some areas are nasty from engine smoke or exhaust , those get the super heavy washes.  Ejection ports on Machine guns as well. should look filthy. 

Zounds that's a lot, sorry.

As far as a video tutorial. Well I have time to film and live stream in April next year for two weeks. I know it's a long way off but I'll post a about it again when I am ready. I think that would be best as I wouldn't have to edit anything, just get my camera set up and start painting. 

I think people will find it dull.  If I can get it sorted I'll attempt to shoot a video before then.

In the between time here's that video I did some years ago. I was just figuring it out on the fly back then. I'd painted a Deff Dread and one thing leads to another... :biggrin.: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nGgIJKnw_Q&list=PLZ6wqyrTPjZCk4_5SmAcdIWuiTwRrOc9E

That is brilliant stuff, thanks! My normal style is very neat, smooth & rather retentive so trying something like this will be a good boundary-pushing exercise!

I'm glad you enjoyed it. 

Were you able to see all 4 parts?  

That was how I used to do it but I am more...? free? with how I do it now I painted a Deff dread and was then asked to do a tutorial and just tried to redo what I had done but who knows what happened really. I also use Inks black, dark brown, light to very light brown in spots.

Da%2Bburgundy%2Bbeast%2B1.jpg

Blog post about that Dread.

And to clean things up a little the front end finished.

144_0705.JPG

And a link to that article with all the videos linked in the post.

I'm not really sure how I would apply this to other armies like Space Marines but I guess it would work but I think there should be more undamaged, unruined spots of color for Space Marines and their vehicles. I use a different Technique for Space Marines, Look up the 7 day army tutorial by Grey Matter studio. He uses a bit of liquid latex and sponges and it works quite well. You can look through the Massive Voodoo blog and youtube channel for the hairspray and salt tutorial they did. Those guys are amazing.  Both of those are very good techniques for rusty messy stuff. 

All this talk about pushing boundaries and me thinking about Ultra Marines and I really don't want to collect any more Space Marines....  

Thanks for your interest I will try to find the time for another tutorial, hopefully it'll be better than my last one. :biggrin.:

Orktober continues!

Update.

Wip Burna Bomba. 

1017180903.jpg

1017180903a.jpg

Just a bit more to do! I'm going to go back to the first Burna Bomba and add a flame job as well, because why not!  
Our Tournament on Saturday has oped up 2 more spots, up to 24 spots now.  I'm in the second to last spot now! 

Some solid work since I last checked on this thread, I'm liking that Dread. Nice write-up of the tournament, sounds like those Bombas did some work!

What are your thoughts on the new Ork kits, going to be adding some Speed Freeks?

Thank you. Ha, that dread is from way back, maybe 01' or 11'. It was a lot of fun to paint too. 

Those bombas. Man they almost worked exactly as I had planned. They were a hit as well. Lots of people had to come over an look at them. Love it! 

I'm not sure about the new Kits just yet I'm really just looking forward to the new codex and will look for some of those new models in a while.  I may even have a painting commission coming up, so i'll be able to fill my warchest!  

But looking at them the Rat Rod, is the one I like the look of the most. 

we'll just have to see what happens. lol

Well if you do go for the new kits, I reckon they'll look great in your colours.

Fingers crossed on the commission; I'd love to have the skills for the hobby to start paying for itself. It's a great reason to paint new and different kits too.

Well if you do go for the new kits, I reckon they'll look great in your colours.

Fingers crossed on the commission; I'd love to have the skills for the hobby to start paying for itself. It's a great reason to paint new and different kits too.

From what I've seen the stats on the new vehicles are very interesting for sure. However, I can't bring myself to buy that game for 2 models I would like and more that I have no use for. I have lots and lots of bikers already.  I'm sure I'll find the new vehicles and get them one at a time or something so I can manage the costs.  Looking at what GW has done with them I just see lost opportunity, their paint jobs re kinda , well the seem flat to me. 

The commission thing. So I may have a client from the game shop set for next year and I'll cut him a savage deal. Likely let him get me some of those new vehicles from the shop. 

And I spoke with another painter up there who wanted to talk to me about commission painting and I sent him some pictures and stuff. He said he may have a client for me that contacted him over ...Ebay.  Strange but interesting. Have to see if anything happens or not.  Kinda neat though.  He says the "client" wants Dark Angels.  I need to get my air brush ready for some work.

From what I've seen the stats on the new vehicles are very interesting for sure. However, I can't bring myself to buy that game for 2 models I would like and more that I have no use for. I have lots and lots of bikers already.  I'm sure I'll find the new vehicles and get them one at a time or something so I can manage the costs.  Looking at what GW has done with them I just see lost opportunity, their paint jobs re kinda , well the seem flat to me. 

The commission thing. So I may have a client from the game shop set for next year and I'll cut him a savage deal. Likely let him get me some of those new vehicles from the shop. 

And I spoke with another painter up there who wanted to talk to me about commission painting and I sent him some pictures and stuff. He said he may have a client for me that contacted him over ...Ebay.  Strange but interesting. Have to see if anything happens or not.  Kinda neat though.  He says the "client" wants Dark Angels.  I need to get my air brush ready for some work.

Lots of commission painters work over ebay. They have a buy it now option for model or models, and you select what chapter.

Just be careful your friend isnt a middle man advertising your work, passing the client to you then skimming off the top ;)

Lots of commission painters work over ebay. They have a buy it now option for model or models, and you select what chapter.

Just be careful your friend isnt a middle man advertising your work, passing the client to you then skimming off the top :wink:

That's a good point. I have seen that over Ebay on model listings and never given it much thought. I've put up fully finished armies or just stuff to sell but never tried to advertise like that.  Also a good point again. I wont be pimped out. In conversation with him I even talked about turning down jobs to protect my client, my self and my accessibility.  I'm not going to take ever little job and or work for peanuts. 

But who knows what will happen. I couldn't quote any kind of prices as I tend to set a price on every job so they aren't ever just fixed, and long ago I was told to charge no less than $10.00 usd per infantry model.  so I at least have a way to set a good and hopefully fair price. 

But it was a good warning and I hadn't thought about that before. Thank you! 

"Tournament after party."

My Usual Scrumgrod just called this morning, said he had been sulking over the loss all day yesterday!  :facepalm: :laugh.: 

He had also told me he was actually 100 points over as well. which he had told me but I didn't recall, right after the tournament.  No one seemed to notice his mistake and he didn't place very high so I guess it's what ever.  He knows he should have checked his list better. No reason to beat on him for it. In a normal game I wouldn't really care too much and have myself put together sloppy lists in the past. It happens some times. 

Also, he says I killed about 700 points of his army in the first turn. he had expected about 300 points. He's a computer brain kinda guy so... 

If I would have changed anything, I would have brought more tank bustas and maybe dropped the pain boy and S.A.G.Mek.  55+80 points more stuff. 135 is yet another bomba or a dakka jet to back them up. I would need to round up just a few extra points for that, maybe drop the rattler kannons or something.  I think I needed something to hang back behind the aircraft a bit to play the midfield. but it's not important anymore really, I hope I remember this list again to check the points changes and push it up to 2000 point in the new codex. 

From the index that might be 2 Wazz bomb blast jets...or what ever they're called! :teehee:

I've started looking at the datta sheet for the Wazbomb Blast jet and it seems to be missing the twin big shootas.  Was that faq'd ? 
I've partly been thinking about how to put more flyers into that 1750 list to bring it up to 2000 points. 

Update. 

As tempting as it is I think 3 Burna Bombas is enough this gives me 5 Bombas for a full air wing.  And 1 Dakka jet. 
I need to sort out my last 3 Flyers and I really should part with the rest of them and I know 2 people who are interested in them. Maybe that's my in for some of those cool new vehicles. Sounds like the start of a plan anyway.

And here you are.

1026180745.jpg  1026180745a.jpg  1026180745b.jpg

I know there's more I'd like to do but if I force it I will fail. That's just how it seems to go. 

My next goal is to have a look at my ard' boys and see what happens. At some point I'll be back to bases but no real plans about when just now. 

Looking at the current information on the points costs of these new vehicles ( rumors ) The one I like seems to cost a load of points, for those points I almost would rather get a Bomba.
Kinda sad about that but well see how it goes. 
Funny thin is the ones I like the least seem to be the better of the lot of them. I'm not a fan of that war trike but its one I know I would only want 1 of so I may order that even though I see it as the least practical for my style of play but if I do stuff all my war bikers into that outriders detachment they will need an HQ to go with them. So I guess it's the safest purchase to start with. (Most practical?) 

Update.

My orders placed. Kinda unsure about one of the models I know I will have a use for it but am irked that it has set weapons, being an HQ.
That snagga Klaw is a huge let down as far as what it looks like. The boss on that war trike must have sunk all his cash into the flashy bike and none into cool weapons. It's going to be a project that's for sure. But we'll see when the codex gets here.

I tried to get some pictures todau but they didn't all turn out, I guess the lighting wasn't right for it.
This one thought.

med_gallery_3442_13347_152556.jpg

Love those eyes.