WAAAAGH GorGak! invades the B&C.

Warhead01

How do you think youll adjust things with the new codex and new models? Im having a hard time landing something I like and end up making a ton of lists now that battlescribe is updated(mostly). 

My latest thought is lots of Stormboyz and Deff Dreads

Awesome stuff

WAAAGH!

How do you think youll adjust things with the new codex and new models? Im having a hard time landing something I like and end up making a ton of lists now that battlescribe is updated(mostly). 

My latest thought is lots of Stormboyz and Deff Dreads

My advice is fairly generic. If you have the models then just play a game or two with each list or which ever list and see how it does.  It either isn't going to work or it will but don't exclude bad rolls or other things like an overly aggressive opponent. if those kind of things keep the list from leaving the starting gate or crash your game too early, anything before turn 3 I guess, give it another try. 

Another options is to build a list with a specific opposing faction in mind, Orks were a good match against space Marines, for example, so yo know which Ork units are good for that already.  It might sound like list tailoring but I don't think it matter that much when your playing a new/updated faction. 

For new models, I don't know exactly. When I build a more competitive minded list I would use the k.i.s.s. method. This was reinforced by all the horror stories from tournaments about slow playing players trying to exploit large model count armies.  This method let's me spend a lot less time thinking about what a particular unit should do so I can just get on with it. Choppy units just move and charge in the early going shooting units soften up targets but don't need to move at much maybe. and I have a few units to go after objectives or what ever. 

I feel this will easily be applied to the new models. If you've got enough of them then just run wit hit and see what happens.  

My newest list has a little of everything. I don't think it's at all a competitive list but you could make a fun list as a "strong player" and play against players who might be less experienced and have a good time. They may find the mind behind the bad army list more fun that if the army list were stronger. I do this with my most casual 40K friends and it's usually a good time for us. After so many years of Orks just being the npc race where a lot of our units were so difficult to use when 8th rolled around I worried less and less about my choices. Everything was more playable than it ever had been.  My Orks are sorta only playing by appointment now. I don't play pickup games and don't plan to take them to tournaments again. I need to stick with 1 army as my constant so that I can play full games, due to my infrequency of gaming and a bad back.  I doubt my onw thoughts on my lists will be overly helpful past casual play.

I used to field huge armies but I am moving more towards MSU lists to save time and mitigate blast and hopefully morale. 2 battalions could be 12 mobs of boys all running around being productive. 

I'll put some notes into my last army list and repost it, maybe that will help? 

Still it does come back to what your collection is full of. 

Then there's always the other thing, what models do you like the most, put them in a list and don't worry about it? 

Hope this was close to helpful. 

• 4 months later...

Not an update. 
Well, maybe it is and maybe it isn't.. 

I've had Orks on the brain for a few days. I just discovered One page rule Grimdark Furutre. And they have Orc army lists! 
So, I hope to get some of that going in the future. I like the army list for the Orcs it's simple and straight to the point and very approachable. 
Not sure when I'll get to play but I am hopeful. 

Onto the 40K stuff. 
I was remembering meeting Pete Haines in maybe 06's at a Games Day Attlanta. possibly that year or maybe..04'. I'm not sure which year before 06's we went. 
So he was playing Orks and mentioned he's playing lots of Rokkits in his Orks, I was a big fan of Big Shootas at the time. The Big take away about his Orks actually came from the WD some time around then where went on to explain that his whole army hadto fit into one case that he could take anywhere. so it was 90% to100% infantry, boys and what not.
He may have had a Trukk or two, but they were so much smaller back then, not the huge trukks we have now. Some of you may remember. :whistling: Not saying your old or anything...

Today I've built a list in the same theme of infantry only. I'm not sure how it will do. I expect it to get beaten up really badly in a two turns unless I get lucky and can hold out for 4 turns. 
My Usual Skrumgrod runs a list stuffed full of hatful big shootas, I mean heavy Bolters.  A bunch of Nun Bots stomping around at full speed shredding everything with Heavy Bolters, arguably the best weapon in the game when one can roll that many shots with basically full rerolls or other buffs. Simply disgusting! :dry.: 

What I have come up with is a basic collection of near minimal unit sized mobs. I'm not sure about everything, Grots just suck so much now so I really want 3 mobs of 10 in my list?
The rest is meant to move and shoot and try to score objectives from within as much cover as I can use while some other units are dedicated for secondary objectives. Line breaker ROD and a psyker secondary.  I'm not really sure if this would work as a tac list or not at this time. I did try not to Taylor my list towards what my usual Skromgrod usually fields but I think it may have a chance.

And now the list.

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Orks) [93 PL, 12CP, 1,565pts] ++

+ Configuration [12CP] +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)  [12CP]

Clan Kultur: Goffs

Detachment Command Cost

Gametype: Matched

+ HQ [16 PL, 295pts] +

Big Mek w/ Kustom Force Field [5 PL, 85pts]: Choppa, Kustom Force Field, Slugga, Stikkbombs

Big Mek w/ Shokk Attack Gun [6 PL, 110pts]: Shokk Attack Gun, Stikkbombs

Warboss [5 PL, 100pts]: 6. Might is Right, Da Killa Klaw, Kombi-rokkit, Power Klaw [10pts], 2x Slugga, Stikkbombs, Warlord

+ Troops [19 PL, 370pts] +

Boyz [5 PL, 90pts]
. Boss Nob [9pts]: Choppa, Slugga, Stikkbombs
. 9x Ork Boy w/ Slugga & Choppa [81pts]: 9x Choppa, 9x Slugga, 9x Stikkbombs

Boyz [5 PL, 90pts]

Boyz [5 PL, 90pts]

Gretchin [2 PL, 50pts]
. 10x Gretchin [50pts]: 10x Grot Blaster

Gretchin [2 PL, 50pts]

+ Elites [24 PL, 415pts] +

Meganobz [12 PL, 160pts]
. Boss Meganob [40pts]: Kombi-rokkit [5pts], Power Klaw, Stikkbombs
. Meganob [40pts]: Kombi-rokkit [5pts], Power Klaw, Stikkbombs

Tankbustas [4 PL, 85pts]
. 5x Tankbusta [85pts]: 5x Rokkit Launcha

Tankbustas [4 PL, 85pts]

Tankbustas [4 PL, 85pts]

+ Fast Attack [18 PL, 198pts] +

Stormboyz [6 PL, 66pts]
. Boss Nob [11pts]: Choppa, Slugga, Stikkbombs
. 5x Stormboy [55pts]: 5x Choppa, 5x Slugga, 5x Stikkbombs

Stormboyz [6 PL, 66pts]

Stormboyz [6 PL, 66pts]

+ Heavy Support [16 PL, 287pts] +

Lootas [4 PL, 90pts]
. 4x Loota [68pts]: 4x Deffgun, 4x Stikkbombs
. Spanner [22pts]: Rokkit Launcha [5pts], Stikkbombs

Lootas [4 PL, 90pts]

Lootas [8 PL, 107pts]
. 5x Loota [85pts]: 5x Deffgun, 5x Stikkbombs

++ Patrol Detachment -2CP (Orks) [28 PL, -2CP, 435pts] ++

+ Configuration [-2CP] +

Clan Kultur: Goffs

Detachment Command Cost [-2CP]

+ HQ [8 PL, 140pts] +

Weirdboy [4 PL, 70pts]: 2. Warpath, 3. Da Jump, Weirdboy Staff

Weirdboy [4 PL, 70pts]: 4. Fists of Gork, 5. Da Krunch, Weirdboy Staff

+ Troops [12 PL, 230pts] +

Boyz [5 PL, 90pts]

Boyz [5 PL, 90pts]

Gretchin [2 PL, 50pts]

+ Elites [8 PL, 65pts] +

Kommandos [8 PL, 65pts]
. Boss Nob [15pts]: Power Klaw [5pts], Slugga, Stikkbombs
. 5x Kommando [50pts]: 5x Choppa, 5x Slugga, 5x Stikkbombs

++ Total: [121 PL, 10CP, 2,000pts] ++

And in spite of my army building "guidelines" If the Grots are just totally not worth it I am tempted to trade at least tow of the three units out for 2 KMK's stuck into the Patrol detachment. 
I'd really like WAAAAGH GorGak to once again be on the warpath. 
Hopefully this will be a step in the right direction. 

Update.

I'm still trying to refine the list and have posted another variation in the army list section.

http://bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_images/carbon_red/icon_share.png

What I realized after building a 1500 point list is my first list, see above, just didn't have enough rokits or punch.
Now I've adjusted it adding 3 more Combi-rokkit Mega Nobs, which I am actually looking forward to fielding. I've had them for years and almost never used them.
At this point I can't decide if I should stick with Goffs or play Deff Skuls with this list. Yes it's a lot of shooting, and that's good for a DeffSkulls clan list. However, what is actually attracting me is the Ojsec for infantry, I think this may also include characters. 
But then do I give up the close combat buff during da WAAAGH! times? Knowing that my usual Skrumgrod is playing about 12 or more T5 walkers and knowing I could charge them and wound them and possibly put a hurtin' on the,. Is it worth trading that for obsec

Any thought on this will be appreciated. 

Update. 
I'm still working on this list. I've changed it to one Battalion featuring 45 stormboys. 
I'm at a bit of a loss though. I feel like rokkits are actually really hard to use because I usually don't roll very well. I do feel they are safer than rushing into combat but I just don't know.
I am partly thinking to drop a unit of MANZ and all the rokkits from every mob to see if I can find the points for more tank bustas. 
This list is meant to be tailored against my usual Skrumgrods "Robo-nun-bots", I believer all of those walkers are vehicles. 

I've downloaded one page rule Grim Dark future and from Dakka Dakka Pro-Hammer. I am in the market for a game of warhammer that I can actually enjoy. 9th has been like chewing on concrete so far.  

Update. 
started to play another solo game at 1500 points per side. Orks vs my Primaris BA's. Managed two turns before I had to stop. Hope to get to replay the game to the finish. Playing Open hostility mission 3 from the min rule book.
Too start with I am working on a set of parameters for solo games. So far I've come up with a modified deployment, steps as follows.
1 Roll a dice for each army, each in a different color and rolled together. the high dice wins deployment. Next roll a d2, (123 = 1) (456 = 2). 1 is left side 2 is right side. so even the deployments are randomly determined. 
2 set up the army that won the roll, all units including Infiltrators*. (* Optional but that's how I am doing it now.) 
Still working on more. But remember your playing against yourself and you want to beat each army into the dirt. So deploy appropriately to maximize what each army will do. 
This also means play fair so not favoritism, as much as I love one army more than the other it will detract from the battle to cheat. 
where it gets fiddly is that if I miss a step I call it a miss and cancel the results.  My SAG Mek rolled number of shots and rolled to hit a unit then I was like, Oh' what's the ST? Rolled a 4 for ST. Rolled to wound wounded maybe once but got turned around and thought should that unit have pulled Transhuman. Decided due to my set of missteps that everything just missed or failed to wound, looking back it would have ben fair to roll the damage for the single intercessor.  But try to keep this sort of thing to the minimum, or just reroll the whole sequence. (I'll reroll in the future. Just don't let things bog down the game. 
Play to character. This, I feel, works well in the open war format, less so in matched play but I could be wrong. 
So, where's the fun? 
For me it's more in looking back at what the units did rather than enjoying the satisfaction in real time. I'm also attempting to take pictures and do a battle report so it's really all about the dice rolls and what each army does. Try not to play like a bone head and no take backs, once a unit has moved it's done moving. No repositioning unless you have to by raw.  So don't accidently block your other unit movement. 

To speed things up I am rolling only one set of dice for both armies, I was amazed that I rolled average for a change. 
I'm still working on stratagems but I feel I will play from a tight list and possible limit them to once per battle to or a set of possible stats per turn to keep the options just limited enough to keep the game moving. 
Use loads of terrain. I've been watching some 40K in 40 Minuets and I try to use as much terrain. (or more?) 

In my two turns I was blown away by Tank bustas, 10 D3 even needing 5's or 6's was devastating. My Storm Boys launched a clean charge with their reroll and nearly wiped a unit of Intercessors. However my BA's hit back really hard. 1 unit of flamer Aggressors nearly wiped out a unit of 3 Mega Nobs in shooting. 3 Inceptors with assault bolters killed 9 out of 10 Tank bustas easily.  My assault Intercessors were ready to charge a mob of Storm boys but I had to stop. I think they would have done really well, had to tell. 

This game was an attempt at test of concept as well as to roll some dice. I'm 9 games into 9th and so far behind the power curve it's ridiculous. 
I'm hopeful I can set up 3 or 4 preset army list for each of my armies, ie 4 armies 1 list each if that wasn't clear. I have a friend who occasionally drops by, maybe 4 times a year, and I'd like for him to be able to jump into a game with out having to stress about his own army, unless he want's to play his own. 
We usually just have a hobby day where i build his models for him like some kind of model grot.... 

Lastly for today, I am in the process of cleaning up my current Ork list after seeing how things were going yesterday. And I may have found a clever way to use grots. 
I had a Mega Nob unit deepstrike in and set them back just far enough to leave room for a unit of grots to be Da Jumped in front of them and most of my other units walking up the table. a clever way to use grots for a grot screen? And after the beating my Megan Nobs took I am thinking to drop a mob, add a mega Nob to the remaining mob, giving me more dice for their rokkits. 

WAAAAAAGH! the failed attempt at a game! WAAAGH! at least I tried! WAAAGH! 

Edited by Warhead01

Update.

Had a lot of good progress today. I super glued 100 Orks to the 32mm base extenders I bought earlier this year. Didn't expect I'd ever do that but I am kinda glad I did. I may buy 100 more extenders next year, well see. I just don't know if I would ever want to field that many Ork boys in modern warhammer. the points are just too hight for me to imagine that list just now.

And that's not all.

gallery_3442_13347_15704.jpg

This evening I sculped rucksacks and sock hats on 8 "Kommandos". I may try to sculpt sleeves and cargo pockets on them tomorrow. That might make them look like a weird version of the ancient 2nd edition Ork Kommandos, which were really cool. I'm putting primer on the green stuff later tonight.

Update.
So far I have added sleeves and a cargo pocket to 4 of the 8 Kommandos! 4 more to go.
I'm going to look for more bitz and junk to add to them. I like how they are turning out so far, nightvission goggles would be cool as well I think I can do that with a bit of work. 

Here's another version of my list. I know these probably suck but I kinda like how they are turning out and I look forward to playing this. I got a bit of feedback from the clubs FB group and started making adjustments. The principal here is this list is two 1000 point detachments. (Or there abouts.) Maybe not the best but it feels like are a reasonable start. I've selected to play Defskulls for matched play and maybe play this as Goffs for open war. (with out needing a list change. )

Anywhoo, Here's the list.

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Orks) [53 PL, 12CP, 1,000pts] ++
+ Configuration [12CP] +
Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)  [12CP]
Clan Kultur: Deathskulls
Detachment Command Cost

+ HQ [10 PL, 185pts] +

Big Mek w/ Kustom Force Field [5 PL, 85pts]: Choppa, Kustom Force Field, Slugga, Stikkbombs

Warboss [5 PL, 100pts]: 6. Might is Right, Da Killa Klaw, Kombi-skorcha, Power Klaw [10pts], 2x Slugga, Stikkbombs, Warlord

+ Troops [19 PL, 400pts] +

Boyz [5 PL, 100pts]
. Boss Nob [14pts]: Big Choppa [5pts], Choppa, Stikkbombs
. Ork Boy w/ 'Eavy Weapon [14pts]: Big Shoota [5pts], Stikkbombs
. 8x Ork Boy w/ Slugga & Choppa [72pts]: 8x Choppa, 8x Slugga, 8x Stikkbombs

Boyz [5 PL, 100pts]

Boyz [5 PL, 100pts]

Gretchin [2 PL, 50pts]

Gretchin [2 PL, 50pts]

+ Elites [24 PL, 415pts] +

Meganobz [12 PL, 160pts]
. Boss Meganob [40pts]: Kombi-rokkit [5pts], Power Klaw, Stikkbombs

Tankbustas [4 PL, 85pts]

Tankbustas [4 PL, 85pts]

Tankbustas [4 PL, 85pts]

++ Battalion Detachment -3CP (Orks) [64 PL, -6CP, 998pts] ++

+ Configuration [-3CP] +

Detachment Command Cost [-3CP]

+ HQ [11 PL, -3CP, 195pts] +

Big Mek w/ Shokk Attack Gun [7 PL, -2CP, 125pts]: 4. Brutal but Kunnin, Enhanced Runt-sucker [1 PL, 15pts], Shokk Attack Gun, Stikkbombs, Stratagem: Big Boss [-1CP], Stratagem: Extra Gubbinz [-1CP], Super Cybork Body

Weirdboy [4 PL, -1CP, 70pts]: 2. Warpath, 3. Da Jump, Scorched Gitbonez, Stratagem: Extra Gubbinz [-1CP], Weirdboy Staff

+ Troops [9 PL, 195pts] +

Boyz [5 PL, 95pts]
. Boss Nob [9pts]: Choppa, Choppa, Stikkbombs

Gretchin [2 PL, 50pts]

Gretchin [2 PL, 50pts]

+ Elites [12 PL, 140pts] +

Kommandos [8 PL, 65pts]
. Boss Nob [15pts]: Power Klaw [5pts], Slugga, Stikkbombs
. 5x Kommando [50pts]: 5x Choppa, 5x Slugga, 5x Stikkbombs

Painboy [4 PL, 75pts]: 'Urty Syringe, Grot Orderly [5pts], Power Klaw

+ Fast Attack [21 PL, 283pts] +

Stormboyz [9 PL, 131pts]
. Boss Nob [21pts]: Power Klaw [10pts], Slugga, Stikkbombs
. 10x Stormboy [110pts]: 10x Choppa, 10x Slugga, 10x Stikkbombs

Stormboyz [6 PL, 76pts]

Stormboyz [6 PL, 76pts]

+ Heavy Support [11 PL, 185pts] +

Lootas [5 PL, 95pts]: Zzapkrumpaz [1 PL, 10pts]
. Spanner [17pts]: Big Shoota, Stikkbombs

Mek Gunz [3 PL, 45pts]
. Mek Gun [3 PL, 45pts]: Kustom Mega Kannon

Mek Gunz [3 PL, 45pts]
. Mek Gun [3 PL, 45pts]: Kustom Mega Kannon

++ Total: [117 PL, 6CP, 1,998pts] ++

I had Burna boys in place of my small unit of Kommandos, they cost like 1 more point as Pyromaniaks but I got thinking again about scoring objectives and secondaries.
I know Kommandos work differently now than they did so I don't know which unit I would rather have just now. 

Edited by Warhead01

Zounds! 2d3! HOLY CATS! (My friend says that., he's a goofball.) 
I am starting to rethink a lot of things. We'll get back to that later after I've spent some energy on them.

Update.
The Kommandos are being painted. Pavement grey "uniforms" with some country grey lines for the camo, not anything amazing yet I am going with a less is more camo, this was all given a Burnt umber ink wash, early steps in my fooling arounds. I have to go back over all the boots and straps ect. re-dot the eyes the Florescent Orange/red. I've found some gear from the storm boys kit I will add to them, pistols, choppas and stickbombs. 

I rediscovered Gearguts Mekshop. And while tempted to buy a Mega Mega boss from him... I kept thinking about how I would change things and add to the massive Boss. 
So, I won't be buying one. I've pulled out a pile of bits, magic sculpt and plasticard. 
Now, if the greenskinded godz let it happen I think it will be very proppa. 

I've asked around about size comparison and I may turn some Ogre Kingdome Ogres into fat Orks as counts as Snagga boys. I don't know yet but I'd love to do that at some point. I did up about 5 several years back, some time before 05' , as proxies for Cyborks. I still have one I was using as a runtherd years later.  

Feeling positive about Orks and making army lists and painting them has put me in a good mood.  

Update.

Project Mega Boss is well underway. I've built a torso and a massive power klaw. I'm working as best I can from the cover art of codex Armageddon. I know that version of Ghaz isn't overly exotic. My main worry now is that this Boss is going to be too large. I solved the 80MM base issue. The base I am going to use is just a little bit smaller than the 80MM base Nu-Ghaz comes with. 
The torso is as tall as a contemptor Dreadnaught. Not sure how I could slim it down or even if I should, Probably will have to figure that out. So far this is being constructed from 1/8" inch plastic basing that comes with Perry Miniatures. So it's hefty. 

Well. this Mega Boss project is a complete bust. I did a few things I like but the scale is way off, far too big. I'll try again next year some time. I think the best thing, the easiest and most practical thing I can do is find an over sized Ork that I can bulk out instead of ty to build from complete scratch. I've seen some youtube videos of that sort of Mega Boss builds so I'll do some digging and who knows. 

I've dug up my Deff Koptas. several of them I had choppd the rokkits off and set up big shootas, so now I am rounding up extra rokkits to rearm them.  

And I'm already trying to set up my next game. 

I still own pictures of my "Kommandos". I might turn the rest of the mob I took them from into Kommandos as well. Have to look at the max mob size for Kommandos, it's either 10 or 15. Tempted to try fielding 3 full mobs with choppas, just for fun...

Will do!

I did play out a full 5 turn solo* game on X-mass eve. Orks V Primaris BA's. 
It was baffling, My dice were so poor I thought there was no way either army could actually win. Sadly the BA's out maneuvered the Orks and sat on more Objectives for 5 full turns. The Orks meanwhile were wrecked. 6 Orks left standing on turn 5. Very sad. 
I did learn a few things but I'm still not playing a proper game of matched play. (Obviously.)
Neither army used any Strats. I'm hopeful to try yet again tomorrow if possible. I have bumped both armies up to 2000 points. 
For the Orks I am taking what I was and making slight adjustments. The BA's infiltrators were a solid unit and a bit frustrating some of my Mega Nobs got into combat with them but wiffed just enough, getting one wound through when all the dice were rolled only to have their damage dropped to ZERO! 
YATTS! But hat was odd and frustrating. Gorgak on the other hand charged 3 flamer Aggressors and wiped them all out in one go no problem! Those same Aggressors had fried 15 Storm boys including the nob with out even trying. Yikes! 
The Runt Sucker for the SAG Mek was very very impressive but the ST rolls were ...2, 3, 4 ... Just horrible! 
Hopefully I learned a few things. Which is part of the point.
In the next game I am adding in 5 Strats per army that ill be once per game plays. I have to keep things very simple playing solo.  

As for the next "real" game, we're still figuring that out. I have a memorial to try to attend for a friend who passed on the 20th. (A friend of like 20 years.) 
Hopefully that doesn't take my free day or maybe I can turn it into a game day as well. The Memorial is at the game shop. My Friend was one of the other founding members of our club.
And a long time friend of the shop owner. 
If my usual Skrumgrod is available that day then maybe we can have that game. Other wise, well it gives me more time to craft those Kommandos. 
Oh, Game or not I will get some pictures of these Kommandos tomorrow! Look for them on Monday.  

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season. 

* Hooper! Hooper! stop playing with your self! 
Jaws jokes. 

Game status has changed a little. I will be attempting a small game of Grimdark Futures today as I have a household task that needs doing. But I will use my extra time to set the armies out and pick the stratagems as I mentioned above.  I found spending time ahead for prep made the last game run in only about 3 hours! I'll also pick the mission and change up the secondaries a little and scribble all that down as another player aid. 

I may also be able to get some army pictures is I have the extra time today. 

Update.

Struggled through another solo game. I had meant to actually use cp and strats during the game but once everything got moving it was throw out the window.
Here's the best picture from the game.

med_gallery_3442_16212_399092.jpg

The dice were over all fair to me for all the rolls all game I rolled my B&C dice instead of my crappy old red ones. it saved a fair amount of time again rolling everything in one :cuss, hits, wounds and saves. The Orks managed to dominate the table some how though they bleed models. T5 was noticeably good as well. and with average rolls balanced against all that Space Marine AP.
There were four objective markers and the Orks took the one on their left immediately and in force on turn 1. The Deff Koptas lasted a single turn but set the Orks up to push a flank really well. the Left side looked more difficult but it ended up collapsing back into the Blood Angels deployment zone over the length of the game.
I'm not sure the exact final score but I figure the Orks won by at least 10. Really need to get the scoring sorted out. Once a few Key Blood Angels units were destroyed the Orks made a strong push up the right side with boys, tank bustas a weird boy and a KFF Mek, that Mek is kinda fighty with his choppa. But the focus was to gain a 3 to 1 numerical advantage to ensure both victory in the fight as well as holding power for the objective. The did it! The Storm boys mobs both failed their charges after arriving on turn 3 but I had several other asaults that turn, the one mentioned just above and one on the BA's right side. The one on that right side pushed on deep into the center of the BA's deployment zone and it briefly looked like the Orks would take that home objective from the BA's but there was a bit of a last ditched effort to take it back and in the end the BA's managed to win it back by the numbers game, they had more than the remaining Orks. It was a solid fight.

Both armies used the mission secondary objective and the Ork took the one for table quarters and raising banners
The BA's took assassinate and table quarters. (I think?)
I really wish 9th came with a set of secondary objective cards. all this book keeping and flipping pages is such a time sink for me.

Final thoughts.
I just don't enjoy 9th edition playing these games, solo games, is important because I need repetition but it also illustrates just how overly complex 9th is.
Here's the fun bit. I moved both armies up 500 points from 1500 to 2000. the few extra units available, 3 for the Blood Angels and maybe 4 or 5 more for the Orks, I used a different list not just a list upgrade, didn't feel like it was overwhelming as far as models and time needed for dice rolls. My largest issue was flipping through books and trying to remember game conditions, objective control, cp/strats what ever. At the end I wasn't sure if it was turn 5 or turn 4.
Repetition will smooth some or most of that out. I am seriously considering butchering my codex so I can have right on hand just the pages I want and need and pitch the rest.
(Or a massive pile of bookmarks?)

When I attempt another game I hope to spend at least 2 days for prep before I try to play. I've saved loads of time already by just having the armies out on a tray and ready to deploy.

Alright, that's it.

HoHo! Looks like I have that first game of 22' lined up! My good friend is driving up for a game. Looks like it's next Tuesday. 
I'm building both army lists and providing both armies which I am actually excited about. Neither list will be optimal but should play against each other fairly well. 
The Okr list is featuring a few mobs of 20 and a few mobs in trukks so it should be able to run around and fight as well as get objectives. 
The theme of both armies is something I believe would resemble a 2nd edition army. Still using 9th edition army construction and points, not that it matters a whole lot. 
The Orks are brining 3 deff dreads and 2 KMK's along with 3 trukks and 3 Deffkoptas, the rest either walk, rides or rokkit packs around. No Weirdboy this time, ran out of points and slots. 
all that stuffed into a Battalion. 
The BA's ended up with more teeth than I had planned but it should be fine. I think the orks can have a good go at the Ba's and likely beat them. 

This evening I am sticking rokkits back on to deff Koptas that I had previously set up with Big Shootas. I'm going to try to get the primer on and maybe put some paint on them this week. 

I hope to turn this game into a decent battle report with pictures ect. I'm really looking forward to getting a game in. (with another player!)  

Ork list.

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Orks) [117 PL, 10CP, 1,999pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points) 

Detachment Command Cost

+ HQ +

Big Mek w/ Kustom Force Field [5 PL, -1CP, 85pts]: 3. 'Ard as Nails, Stratagem: Big Boss

Big Mek w/ Shokk Attack Gun [7 PL, -1CP, 125pts]: Enhanced Runt-sucker, Stratagem: Extra Gubbinz, Super Cybork Body

Warboss [5 PL, 105pts]: 6. Might is Right, Attack Squig, Da Killa Klaw, Kombi-skorcha, Power Klaw, Warlord

+ Troops +

Boyz [10 PL, 190pts]
. Boss Nob: Choppa, Slugga
. Ork Boy w/ 'Eavy Weapon: Big Shoota
. 17x Ork Boy w/ Slugga & Choppa: 17x Choppa, 17x Slugga, 17x Stikkbombs

Boyz [10 PL, 190pts]
. Boss Nob: Choppa, Slugga
. 17x Ork Boy w/ Slugga & Choppa: 17x Choppa, 17x Slugga, 17x Stikkbombs

Boyz [10 PL, 99pts]
. Boss Nob: Choppa, Choppa
. 10x Ork Boy w/ Slugga & Choppa: 10x Choppa, 10x Slugga, 10x Stikkbombs

Gretchin [4 PL, 85pts]
. 17x Gretchin: 17x Grot Blaster

+ Elites +

Burna Boyz [6 PL, 120pts]
. 8x Burna Boy: 8x Burna, 8x Stikkbombs
. Spanner: Kustom Mega-Blasta
. Spanner: Kustom Mega-Blasta

Nobz [6 PL, 105pts]
. Boss Nob: Big Choppa, Slugga
. Nob: Big Choppa, Slugga

Painboy [4 PL, 70pts]

+ Fast Attack +

DeffKoptas [8 PL, 150pts]: Boom Boyz
. DeffKopta
. DeffKopta
. DeffKopta

Stormboyz [6 PL, 120pts]
. Boss Nob: Power Klaw
. 9x Stormboy: 9x Choppa, 9x Slugga, 9x Stikkbombs

+ Heavy Support +

Deff Dreads [18 PL, 255pts]
. Deff Dread: Big Shoota, Big Shoota, Dread Klaw, Dread Klaw

Mek Gunz [6 PL, 90pts]
. Mek Gun: Kustom Mega Kannon
. Mek Gun: Smasha Gun

+ Dedicated Transport +

Trukk [4 PL, 70pts]

Trukk [4 PL, 70pts]

Trukk [4 PL, 70pts]

++ Total: [117 PL, 10CP, 1,999pts] ++

Boys, Burna Boys and Nobs mob ride in the trukks along with the Warboss. KFF Mek wonders around with the Boys on foot and dreads. Storm boys Deepstrike or don't. 
Over all a basic list, easy to play. 
These grots could go or stay. 85 poimts could be a lootas mob. Easy swap. 
I should make sure the Marines they are going to fight are a good match, I feel I am there but one or two things about that list are bugging me still. 

Update. 
A few things. First the game day had been put on pause my friend has to be on stand by for his family's transportation needs for a little while but we are trying to reschedule. He lives like 2 or 3 hours travel away so it is what it is. 
Second thing. I was looking at the army list I made for him and decided to give a few of his boss nobs power klaws. I figure a few extra points per list wont matter my BA list ended up like 2 points over so no harm in giving him a few upgrades and maybe a few more grot to round the mob size up to 20. 
With a delay of game I will use this time to look at the missions and maybe the open war cards as well. I want us to have a proper game er... a really good time! 
So I will look for at least 2 different ways to play or we can come up with something on the fly. I'm even considering playing a simple second edition mission. as far as determining the winner, I think we can figure that out with out counting loads and loads of points, we've got maybe 40 years of 40K experience between the two of us so it'll be fine. 
Other than that I am planning a solo game to fill that game day we're missing if all goes to plan. 

Not much else to mention.