WAAAAGH GorGak! invades the B&C.

Warhead01

Thank you! 

Haha. The Rust. I get asked about that a fair bit  
I base coat the area a dark brown to start with. then either apply the rust or a bolt gun metal with a ragged brush. I just kinda stab it on lightly first one color then the other. After that, I'm usually painting red, I stab on spots of a dark red followed boy a brighter red. then I give it a dark black washing and a brown wash. Sometimes I'll do that with watered down inks or watered down paint. 
Then I paint everything else after the rust is done or nearly done. 
I don't know if I have any kind of a tutorial for how I do it now days. If you look at my blog and follow the art of the ork articles all the way back through , they're mostly just loads of wip pictures, you might see what I mean.  I've thought about doing a tutorial, I have an old one on my youtube channel but it's not really how I do this now I think I have simplified it much more than when I was figuring it out.  (It's not really the same as I do it now, you might just start with the second part.) The thing is it's more like a sponge technique, I think.

The important part though is after you have your rust established you don't use too much solid color. But layer on a color dark then light the second can be quite bright because the wash will sort it out. I use craft paints to prime my models, that same flat black will also be used as my wash. you just have to sort out your consistency, if it's too heavy just wash in more water. I do that directly on the model if I need to.  

If I do a tutorial It will be pictures and text or something very to the point. 
Hope that helps. good luck with your own rust.

I was thinking about a counter to being on the wrong end of a first turn assault. This is what I've come up with so far.
gallery_3442_13347_103396.png

Feel free to chew on this and point out my missteps. I have difficulty knowing if what I describe in text is something others can picture with out a picture.
Just some stuff I've been thinking about.

I was just thinking about using a load of warbikers in my next list. Not sure it'll be a brilliant idea but it could be good. I was thinking of using 10 of them in a unit. that's only a base 270 points. But it's 60 shots at ST5. 
I need to see how many I have painted and how many more I have to paint to field 20 of them. 
Planning my next 2000 point lists. (I'd like to take two lists next time I'm out for a day of games.)

• 2 months later...

Hello again. 
I've had 30K on the brain for a little while and have just come to a stopping point on those projects and as it turns out there's a 1500 point tournament this coming Saturday.

Here's the list I have come up with.

1499/1500 Birgade (12 CP total)

Weirdboy  62  - Da Jump    (Probably the warlord.)

KFF Big Mek 75 points

KFF Big Mek 75 points

Pain boy X1 55

Kommandos X15 135 points

Kommandos X15 135 points

Kommandos X10 90 points

Kommandos X10 90 points

Kommandos X10 90 points

Boys X30 Shootas 180 points

Boys X10 Shootas 60 points

Boys X10 Shootas 60 points

Grots X10 30 points 

Grots X10 30 points

Grots X10 30 points

Storm Boys X6 40 points

Storm Boys X5 40 points

Storm Boys X5  40 points

Lobbas X3  30X3 90 points

KMK X2 42X2 84 points

Smasha Gun X1 41 points

This list has no extra wargear or weapons than listed. 2 KFF's and 1 Kill saw nothing else that isn't mandatory equipment. 

The plan is mob up the 30+10 boys on turn one then jump. Also pop up all of the Kommandos and charge The shoota boys can charge or not they are meant to provide a LD 40 Bubble near all of the action. I'm just planning to rely on weight of dice and a first turn charge to make it happen. I am partially thinking that the Large boys mob should attempt to charge eating overwatch for the Kommandos or something.  Maybe I should restructure the kommandos into all mobs of 10 more chances to assault. And an extra Nob.

I also plan to trail the shoota boys back a bit , probably not all that much to bubble in to the pain boy.  The KFF Meks are to protect the artillery mostly. 

I chose storm boys as my fast attack tax as I wasn't interested very much in fast attack this time but had to fill three slots. Maybe they'll score some objectives or something.

My friend recommended I try the Brigade detachment. 

Arg...I'm going to need to steal first turn! 

I was just thinking about using a load of warbikers in my next list. Not sure it'll be a brilliant idea but it could be good. I was thinking of using 10 of them in a unit. that's only a base 270 points. But it's 60 shots at ST5. 

I need to see how many I have painted and how many more I have to paint to field 20 of them. 

Planning my next 2000 point lists. (I'd like to take two lists next time I'm out for a day of games.)

Ork bikers are what got me into Orks. Its a great kit and such a cool unit. Unfortunately, I cant recommend them. They simply cost too many points. They are hella survivable, but their offensive output isn't enough. In CC, they are just Boyz, and don't offer the numbers necessary to have a real punch. Their shooting weapon is stupendous, but BS5 mitigates it greatly.

Frankly, until the codex comes out, I just can't justify them. If I want a speedy unit, Stormboyz are better.

It's funny you mentioned that post. I had forgotten I had been thinking about that. Just today I counted my bikers and I have 3 mobs of 9 after I finis the last 2 or 3 of them. I thought for some reason I had 30 of them in a box but I guess I was mistaken. 
They do cost a lot. If I could bash a list together I'd field all 27 of them. I've never been into speed freaks style lists, I've always done better on foot. 

I don't even know what kind of list I'd put them in right now. 

It's not looking good. I just don't know. I had briefly tried to think up a list with all 27 of my war bikers. I stuck in 10 war trakks with big shootas and 2 dakka Jets. Still need to put in a HQ or two. Don't know if I have the points for a Biker boss and a Pain boy. Still cooking on it. If I can I'll plop in a KFF Big mek on bike and not a Biker Boss. No troops. Hardly any models. Yuck...

List changes.

So I have decided to find a way to drop the Storm boys. I am trading them out for 3 War trakks with twin Big shootas - 47 points each. 
I spent some time on this yesterday and I really want a massive Kommando element in my list. This has set up two things that are important. The points and the number of deployed units. 

What if I drop everything I can to maintain the brigade but funnel points into kommandos. This means as many large mobs as I can possibly field and grots for troops. 
If I hadn't mentioned the reason, one of the reasons, for this is to speed up my game. If I just pop up all of my kommandos on turn one in charge range that's got to be quicker than moving a whole army ect. I think I just need one full sized mob and one mob 10 strong at the back (15+10 kommandos) to mob up for the LD 25 bubble. 

At any rate it's only 1500 points and I just don't know if this will work very well. 
Notes I am still sorting things out and I think I would prefer 3 Deff Koptas over 3 Wartrakks so I will have to keep plugging away at this over the week. Games on Saturday. (If I can make attendance.)

Kommandos are really cool. Lets compare them to Boyz. Kommandos are 3 points more expensive, can only be in mobs of 15, can deploy anywhere on the board with the exception being 9" away from the enemy and get a +2 bonus from cover instead of +1. Pretty damn good imho.

I think your list has some huge ideas in it. Something I would suggest is that you drop the Kommandos to 4 units of 10. 

Have the two Boyz units one mob of 30 and one mob of 10 like you were wanting to do. Use Da Jump on them to move them up the board and into position for the 40 Ld bubble they provide. Also make the Boyz unit Sluggas and Choppas. Warpath on this unit would be crazy good.

What I would replace the two dropped Kommandos units with is the following

Warboss - Big Choppa & Power Klaw (Take Relic and Might Makes Right warlord trait) 

This makes our Warboss have 4 attacks with the Relic Choppa at S8 -2 D3(I think), or he can opt to use the power klaw at S12

Nobz (10-orks) - With Big Choppas and Sluggas (these guys wreck anything they attack with Big Choppas (S7 -1 D2 with 30 attacks hitting on 3+, or 40 attacks if you take Warpath)

Toss the weird boy, warboss and nobz into a trukk that will race up the board to join your 40 boyz and 40 kommandos. Alternatively you can toss in the painboy with the Nobz and Warboss. 

Your opponent is going to have 80 orks 9" away from his entire army on your first turn. I think only having the one trukk should be okay, even if it gets blown up you can still footslog the Nobz in for some late game punch. 

Only thing I wish Kommandos had access to was better Anti-tank. Something like a Tankhammer would be awesome on these guys. But they are still amazing.

Edited by Aothaine

Do you think 80 models is enough? Maybe I should bring another 30+10 for the second turn? 
I'll run some points and cook this over. 
As far as Anti-Tank. I was just planning to beat them to death with boys. Not really a solid plan I know but I don't know. Kill all the infantry as fast as I can surround everything in place and just beat on it a lot.  

What about the Brigade detachment? Is it worth it? would I do better with a Battalion and a ?is it the Vanguard? or Spear head. the one with all the elites. That would let me cut some of th fat out maybe.

Do you think 80 models is enough? Maybe I should bring another 30+10 for the second turn? 

I'll run some points and cook this over. 

As far as Anti-Tank. I was just planning to beat them to death with boys. Not really a solid plan I know but I don't know. Kill all the infantry as fast as I can surround everything in place and just beat on it a lot.  

What about the Brigade detachment? Is it worth it? would I do better with a Battalion and a ?is it the Vanguard? or Spear head. the one with all the elites. That would let me cut some of th fat out maybe.

Running a brigade is kind of difficult at 1500. I'd drop it back to a Battalion + another detatachment. Having the extra command points for the brigade is nice but not really optimal at this points level. 

80 models should be enough. Something to consider here is that your opponent might focus the 10-man squads to get some early kill points.

And yeah.. Green Tide is a popular list. When building a list I like to usually place 40% of my total points in troops. They are very handy and are quite awesome for Orks.

Edited by Aothaine

I get what your saying but I don't know if that's the direction I want to go, with the Nobs and Warboss. I can see adding them in the next 500 points.

I had another idea this morning.  What if instead of War trakks I keep the Storm boys and see if I can add more of them to my list. I'm thinking of another wave on turn two. I'm not 100% on the idea, I still have to run the numbers. The only other thing I am planning to do is find points for the Painboy to put him on a bike. this will let him, hopefully, get into range on turn one for the FNP for the 40 boys to help with the over watch. 
I have not really found the Warboss to be important in my lists last year. I hard use him any more. Except when I'm just messing around with friends, we play multi players FFA's some times. Over all he's never been all that important on his own. But I like the wargear you are recommending. and am starting to come up with another GorGak rebuild plan. But I will probably wait until the codex comes out. 

What I'd really like is to have the points for 20 MANZ and jump them in on turn one instead of 40 boys.Sadly I think that costs roughly the same as 100 boys. (something like that.)  And I think the boys would live longer... 

Fair enough. In the end it is your army and you should play it how you enjoy to play it. ^_^ 

Please let us know how the battle turns out for sure though. 

And about the warboss. I just like him to much. He is a beatstick but is really squishy. I imagine when our codex drops he will only get better. I can't imagine him not having a really cool aura ability outside of the bash heads to keep the smaller ones in line.

And about the warboss. I just like him to much. He is a beatstick but is really squishy. I imagine when our codex drops he will only get better. I can't imagine him not having a really cool aura ability outside of the bash heads to keep the smaller ones in line.

I agree he seems so much better than last edition. Down right hard to kill with so many wounds now. 

I know it's just me. I have never in 22 years of playing 40K felt I could rely on a character/Hero/what ever on their own my dice have always found a way to make that a bad idea. 

I put stock into large full units, the Warboss used to be a can opener and the boys my sledge hammer.  In fairness I may have played only 15 games last year so I know things are different than I remember them from the edition before. 

For my stronger lists I have been looking for characters that will buff units more than those that stand on their own. AoS put that in my mentality and it's worked fairly well. 

I should have my list wrapped up tonight or tomorrow! And then we'll see what's what on Saturday!    

After two days of out doors works and general maintenance around the house my hands are swollen. Saturdays up in the air now. I'm going to see if I can set up something for Monday if Saturday falls through. 

MY list is as ready as it will ever be and my models are in the car. 
Snikrot made the list. My list sets up 8 units on the table and 8 in sneaky mode. I'll win or lose quickly. But I expect if I win it will be in the first round before everyone has a chance to chat and sort me out...  I think 115 models in the other armies face turn one will at the very least get their attention. I kinda think that the terror that brings will see me through the first and maybe second game.  

I'll keep this list and add 500 points for the next larger game.

I'll take notes for a report.

OH good lord, what a day.  
Long story short I came in somewhere at the bottom...rock bottom. 
These are the tables I was on.

Game 1

0224181056b.jpg

Game 2

0224181057.jpg

Game 3

0224181056.jpg

I faced Custodies, AM and then Space Marines. 

Custodies are dead ard' and super killy. His army was very small with maybe 4 or 5 squads, 3 models strong each and 4 characters. They hit like a truck. He is a good payer and plays far more than I do, he was aware of where his models were on the board. My Orks were easily slaughtered and he took 3 of the 4 objectives, first blood and line breaker. He killed of 1300 points of my army. And it felt there was nothing I could do about it. My dice were once again unkind and that was the first game of the year for me... Oh well maybe next round. 

0224181128.jpg  0224181228.jpg 0224181228a.jpg0224181228b.jpg

They just came through as if I wasn't there at all. Wow. I'm not even mad about it. haha.

Game 2

My usual scrumgrods AM army. 
Not really as fun as the first game. It was a real drag. He has a high model count, just like I do. However he has loads and loads of things 'to do" which really slows things down. We manages 2 turns in 2 hours and I called it when his second tun wasn't even over and they said 15 minuets left. We both took a tie but it was meaningless. 

I will say that IG is a fair bit better than the last time I faced them.  I played very stupidly as well. MY list was meant to do or die, meaning I must gt all of my units into close combat on turn one. I forgot to set up all of my Kommandos and jumped my mob of 40 boys up before I remembered the proper sequence and that was that.  Briefly at the end I had forgotten I had gone first and began to think I could steal the relic and a win...my plans were taken away from me by reality. His turns were just that long. 

0224181405.jpg 0224181424.jpg 0224181424a.jpg

0224181535.jpg 0224181535a.jpg 0224181535b.jpg

0224181535c.jpg

Game 3.

Emi, the T.O. was the extra player and hadn't won all day either. We haven't played a game in a long time it might have been in 02' the last time we played 40K.

He brought Blood Angel Terminators. His army looks amazing. 

This mission was supply drop. and deployment was Hammer and Anvil.

This time around I was going second, he asked me if I wanted to steal first turn but I declined. haha. No good would have come of that.

He scored first blood destroying one of my Mek Gunz. 

This time my Kommandos were ready for first turn deployment and a charge. My huge mob easily jumped as well. 

I charged with everything and had only one unit of Kommandos fail their charge, the boys mob also made their charge.
We were stuck in and fighting! 
In this game my Kannons were better than my KMK's as both were destroyed... But also because the Kannons killed several Terminators.

I used the Interrupt stratagem a few times, 2 times I think. Which I had forgotten was a thing.... 
I also used Mob Up 3 times. MY Kommandos  becoming a fairly large blob at the end. I kept my largest mob with in range and the Kommandos Mob covered LD for the mobs too far away from the boys. Worked like I wanted.

0224181734.jpg 0224181736.jpg 0224181744.jpg

0224181744a.jpg 0224181807.jpg 0224181807a.jpg

0224181807b.jpg 0224181911.jpg 0224181911a.jpg

0224181911b.jpg

The Orks would finally win a game! He couldn't reach his objective I had mine. I made several attempts on his warlords life but he was resilient and had an Apothecary near by.

Mean while My on characters hit in the back and watch the fight from a safe distance.

I have a few list changes in mind that I will work on. I think I like the Kannons a lot more than the more costly KMK's. I think I need Lobbas as well. 
I should have played more aggressively even at the cost of a loss which I would end up taking for playing more "conservatively".

This army is still a little slow as I am in no way proficient with it yet. I think I may be ready to try Nobz and drop the million Boys from the next list maybe drop 10 boys and 15 Kommandos, see what the points look like. 
The second game was just frustrating and to me represented everything I actively avoid in my own lists. a large army needs to be easy to play to make time and not be a bad game for both players. 

I don't want to be too critical of the day over all, I had a good time and even bumped into so other friends that I haven seen in a very long time. 

Oh, and I won a prize through a random draw. haha A bit of store credit! 
Looks like I had a little luck after all.

I've been brainworking these games for a few days now. 
Well, mostly I've been fuming over game two, my mistake and my friends issues with his army and how it all went down.

So, My friend playing IG conceded his first game after he had a melt down, we called the second a draw and by game three he and another IG player manages a full 4 turns. 
When I say fuming I mean I feel a bit cheated. I can accept a loss but not playing more than two rounds in 2 hours is beyond my. 
After thinking on it I have a solution that I wish I had in mind at the time that might well have won me the game as he ran out the clock. 
I had, I think, all the tools needed. My answer is.... Why didn't Snikrot sneak off with the objective while the IG spent their time in frustration shooting Orks. I had all the tools to do that. 
Once Snikrot has the relic and moves off with it I just have to keep him surrounded by units so he can't be targeted. 

I've spoken to my friend about his list and he's still trying to sort it out. He is planning to add vehicles and Sisters of Battle to his army. That will be an even tougher army to "deal with". 
He's said he was learning his army during the first two games. I nearly went home after our game. 
I really did like my list but I will be making a few changes as I know once he adds his vehicles I won't have nearly enough chopping power I feel like my list only has the one trick it can use. But it was kinda fun. 

Lastly, if only Orks had a sniper or a unit of snipers. 

My usual Scrumgrod called yesterday to set up a game for this coming Sunday. a rematch of sorts but at 2000 points, He's changed his list a bit for sure. Fate it seems has chosen Sunday to challenge WAAAAAGH GorGak's mastery of this planet.. A challenge GorGak gladly accepts.  
Time to make a list .  
Seriously, I am looking forward to this game. It sounds like he's taken what I have said and made constructive changes to his army.  We are going to play from the ITC missions as far as I know. I'll have to download them and review before Sunday. I'll see what I can do about more pictures as well. 

New list for a 2000 point game Tomorrow 

Weirdboy  62  - Da Jump    

KFF Big Mek 75 points

Boss snikrot 69 points*

Pain boy X1 55

Kommandos X15 135 points *

Kommandos X15 135 points*

Kommandos X10 90 points*

Kommandos X5 45 points*

Boys X30 Shootas 180 points

Grots X20 60 points 

Grots X10 30 points

Deff Kopta KMB 64 points

Deff Kopta KMB 64 points

Lobbas X34 30X3 1200 points

Kannons X2  21X3 42 points

WarBoss  Relic Choppa Power Klaw 75 points (Probably the warlord.) X

War Bikers X5 135                          X

Wartrukk 82 points - big shoota

60 points left over. going to drop a grot. and buy another weird boys with Eadbanger. He's got an army full of T3 and T4 models. I'd love to drop that on a certain Commissar :biggrin.:

* Elite detachment

X Fst attack detachment

8 CP 1999 points

Edited by Warhead01

Thank you. I think it should be fun. 
I've sorted and packed all the mini's for tomorrow just have to stick that in the car in the morning.

In other news I just today ordered a nice web cam for hobby related video and hopefully stills. It shoots in 1080p. 
I've been thinking about reviving my channel which I am not very active on. Mostly I plan to drop any hobby or painting videos in my several ongoing threads. Just quick an to the point videos unless I do a tutorial or something like that. 

Today's game was much better than last Saturdays game. I nearly won. I'll post pictures and some notes this week. 
My usual Scrumgrod brought mostly sisters of battle supported by storm troopers and tanks. I had been a bit unnerved by what I saw before me but the reality wasn't nearly as bad as I has thought it would be.

Edited by Warhead01