WAAAAGH GorGak! invades the B&C.

Warhead01

Bases are looking good, the rusted sheet metal especially.

Thank you. These basses are coming together very quickly and I'm very pleased with how they are turning out. I had expected this to take a year but maybe not. 

The rust is easy! I found a huge bottle of rust colored orange acrylic on discount somewhere last year. That and some drybrushing. Other than that it's mostly craft paint and a small wash of P# Pig Iron, comes out a little oily, looks nice.

I've been able to construct between 10 to 16 bases a day so far and am easily past 30 bases now. Only 150 to 180 or more slugga boys and about 90 or 120 shoot boys to go and then we get to everything else! 

Although if I part with 30 slugga boys  that might save a day or two. lol I'm definitely thinning the WAAAAGH this year. 

Funny story, So I've based 90 boys and another 19 Nobs. Those boys were some I thought I was getting rid of. 
Still have 2 more bases I haven't used yet so that's 111 bases in a week. 

I recently subscribed to 6+ Stevo no Youtube. in one of his videos he talks about getting as many command points as possible.  This got me thinking about using Meks and grots to farm Battalions for CP's. But Why Meks you might be thinking.  I haven't looked at their points yet but I know they can get KMB's. And Killsaws.  Just something I started thinking about. Might try to remember that for my next list.

Wierdboyz are another good choice for HQ, cheap and lack any upgrades to inflate their points. Also good for jumping your stoopid grots onto objectives or laying down some smites or just generally being obnoxious.

Wierdboyz are another good choice for HQ, cheap and lack any upgrades to inflate their points. Also good for jumping your stoopid grots onto objectives or laying down some smites or just generally being obnoxious.

Sure. I usually have on or two Weirdboys in my list already.  But I only own 3 of them right now and one I'm still working on, a recycled AoS Ironjaw wizard who's missing his staff.

While da Jump is really strong I've had a lot of trouble recently employing it. My usual Scrumgrod is very mindful of blocking my options. In one game Jumping a unit would have put it further away than it was to begin with.  I thought of the Meks because I have them and because I never use them. I know BS5+ isn't very good but KMB's are much better now as they do not get hot anymore.  It mostly comes down to what are the points costs of the Meks, I still haven't looked but will later today.  What I am interested in is the character rules as well. If I can force my opponent to waste a lot of effort by sticking these Meks in the right spots I am likely protecting something more valuable. there are layers and layers to this game on the table top, positioning is important and something I can control, even if I miss my shot or don't shoot at all. What's more exciting is I can bring those Kill saw Mek's from the first few pages as characters now! Kill saws hit more anyway. 

HoHo! WAAAGH GorGak  raided another wolds of Objective tokens today earning a not win due to quitting before the game was over! My back was hurting and I felt :cussty and called it quits but my usual Scrumgrod suspected I'd have won in the next turn.

Sisters of Battle piss me off a little. Doesn't matter really. It's more my Scrumgrod than his army. We've butted heads of about 17 years now so it is what it is. 
What's actually interesting is that my lists are to some degree working and that's rewarding. 

We played mission number 4 from chapter approved which is what we played last time. But this time we had Hammer and Anvil deployments, the on where it's short edge deployments zones. 
My KMK farm was a bit of a failure my Bubble Chukka came on strong and and cooked out one of his transports I had damaged. I had planned to only target infantry with that but it was really cool that one time!

MY Dakka jet did some damage took a lot of damage and failed to explode. A bit disappointing. 
MY trukk maneuver was o k, not the best but then I haven before today used 4 trukks in a list I had 2 still at the end of the game. He rushed me with a lot of transports to bottle me in but I cracked my way out to  point than had to make the hard call to back off or be gunned down. So I did that. MY war trkks scored me an objective and helped to plink off some of his models but were not very good or bad really. 

Never managed to cast Da Jump, he's paranoid about it and screens his back field, good for him really.  

I'm going to change a few Mek guns around and change my list just a little for next game but I did think it worked well. 

I found points to give my Nobz mob 7 power klaws and that would have worked better if they hadn't all been shot dead in two turns after krunching a transport to bitz. I wanted to feed more of his units to my wood chipper. I'm rethinking that unit as well, 4 Power Klaws is probably enough in the grander scheme of things.

No pictures today. I wasn't feeling fantastic and after the sandwich I had for lunch I felt nearly drunk. (I'm known to put down a few beers or what ever and have no problems with it.)  Not going to eat at that place again it messed me up. I think it's called a carb dump. I felt tired and unable to focus, just rotten for an hour.  Meh. I know better now.

As always more mayhem to come!

I've had some time to digest Mondays game. (Joke intended.)

My usual Scrumgrod called to check on me. He also said he thought I would have won by at least 3 points in the next turn, which is nice.

But I've been rethinking my list. 
I had managed to put 7 power Klaws in my Nobz mob but I think that is way too much really. 4 of them should be enough.

5 KMK's was too many point put into weapons I rolled too poorly with, too many eggs in that basket.  I'm thinking 3 is plenty but I want to add in at least one smasha gun, armour is an issue and they've been magic in my lists before.  I am considering a SAG Mek for that sweet 60' range and -4 to save but I plan to pick on static Infantry squads at long range, Kill off some of those troublesome heavy weapons squads. (Could get lucky.)

And lastly for today I am thinking about trying to fit a burna bomba in my list next time as well to drop Mortal wounds on squads and maybe get lucky to bat clean up on squads that have lost a few models. My opponent seemed to be fielding a lot of unit that were only 5 models strong. (Could be good.)

I'm slowing down on the base project 2 more and then I don't know when I'll feel like getting back to it. Lots of stuff going on right now, no big deal. 

Not to derail the thread (which is a fun read), but did you describe how you get that rusty look on your metals somewhere in here? I'm really digging it and would love a quick runthrough if you don't mind. Kepp up the good work!

Haha, no worries. 

As soon as I set up my web cam I'll film a few tutorials or something easy to follow along with.  

I've described it many times here there and everywhere but I think sometimes visualizing what I am saying may be difficult for some people. 

I use a lot of craft paint and raggedy brushes. Somewhere in the first few pages might be a link to some old youtube videos I made where I painted one of my dirty Deff Dreads. 

My current method is a lot more loose and messy now days than back then but it's changed and grown over the years.

I mean, 60” range is nice but I’ve never seen good results from the SAG in 8th. Combo of random shots and poor BS doesn’t do well. Now maybe if they make gitfindas a thing again in the codex...

I know what you mean I've use it just once this edition but it hit me I should try it again after my bubble chukka easily distroyed a 12 wound transport, granted at the time it was down to 8 or 9 but I pumped 10 wounds through. The random nature of the SAG will at least cause worry to my usual Scrumgrod. He's mostly Min/Maxing units to fill out a Brigade, I think. He had 12 CP's from the start so who really knows. 

I needed to punch a whole in his back field and was mostly out of range for a lot of his units. 

I think I'm going to give it a try for a few games and gem my list more..Orky. (for lack of a better word.) I went for some redundancy and that didn't do as well as I had hoped. My dace are for suck so if I have zero expectations maybe they will surprise me?  I'm also going to try to add a unit of lootas and tank bustas to my list but give them small jobs to do to see if that makes them feel like they work better. Maybe 6 or 7 of each. 

He rolled up with 5 transports covered in heavy flamers carrying units with flamers. Ugg. 

Ya know, if it wasn't for that nasty feeling after I ate I may have actually had a really good game. 

What's more funny about these games with him is he's trying to be competitive and my list are a lot less competitive than his. Internet logic say I need a lot more boys than I have been had in my lists. Haha.

I really wish I had also brought my flash gitz but they are so many points. 

Alright I'll see if I can find some of your earlier videos, thanks! I'm in the process of buying some ork stuff to start a kult of speed evil sunz army so I'm thinking rusty metal is a look I can get a lot of milage out of.

Sounds good! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. 

I hope I didn't come off as rude earlier. It is a question I get asked a lot more than I had expected. 

Use what ever colors you like. I use very dark brown paint as a base coat. I found a huge bottle of Orange/rust color on clearance some where a fry years ago and thought I would use it for terrain at the time.  The ruse color can be dabbed on with a spurge or smashed on with an old nasty bristled brush. I do both depending on the surface area I am trying to cover. 

I just kinda stab on the metallics as well a darkish metal then later a light silverish color. You can always go back and add in more rust or brown in the same manner if there's too much of any one color. I wash my colors down lightly with black paint thinned and again with that same dark brown I use as a base coat. Just let one wash dry mostly before you add the next and just overlap the washing a little let the wash tent the rust and dirty it up. I stab on my reds the same way, you can do these in nearly any order you like based on how it's turning out and if you like it or not. No wrong answers. I tend to go back later with a small brush and add more of my red and layer that in spots with yet another brighter red.

For the underside of vehicles I am currently getting as sloppy as I can with the dark brown and rust and have add a middle brown, this is meant to look like shades of mud as well as rust. I've been painting this way on my Orks for a few years now and there's no one way to do it. 

Oh, I didn't think you came across as rude at all, so no issues there haha. I can imagine plenty of people have asked for your rusty look since it looks better than GW's offical paint jobs in my opinion. I don't think I'd apply it in a lot of places other than the dozer blades of vehicles but I'll certainly try to emulate your look

So he’s a minmaxing neckbeard, rad! If he’s so intent on list tailoring to take out orks maybe try a man wall or dreadmob and see what happens, that’ll show him! And make sure to run KFF biker meks between them for the fixing and invulns for fun/not dying immediately.

:laugh.: Yep.

He's been like this foreva.  He'll never grow out of it at this point.  

After our game he was crying that he needs a mid ranged unit, what ever that means. Maybe a unit of sisters with stormbolters would be that unit.

I said "No, you need an assault unit." Because he needs an assault unit. "But they have a 6+ save!" (Gasp.) 

"Who cares!", said I. They'll be charging, going first and kill what ever they contact! and if your only using one unit your doing it WRONG! 

But then what do I know anyway. 

The thing he needs to do is build a balanced army using a larger variety of units.

I've told him for years until he's wining with Orks I don't care how much he wins. Easy button armies are for chumps. :laugh.:

If he'd build an army and learn to play it instead of changing armies all the time he might actually be really good one day!

But enough about him! 

Update?

I've made a deal to part with a bit of Da WAAAGH  for some cash but we'll see how that goes in a few weeks. It wither will or wont. What ever.  

I'm looking for more Flash Gitz next and maybe a few more Storm Boys.  I pulled a load of boys off their old basses last night so that's 30 more bases to build up and paint.

and something bout a few Meks. I hope they become a squad in the codex. I'd like a Meks mob, that would be really cool.  Imagine a mob full of KMB's and Kill saws running around.. 

Edited by Warhead01

update.

Close to 200 bases done now, well still have to paint the edges but you know what I mean.

Shifting  gesrs slightly. Plan to base several Plastic Mega Nobz next and a few other models to change things up just a little. And now I am wondering should I put my Meks on 32's. They are characters after all. After counting my Storm boys it looks like I need 6 more to hit 60. but it might only be 5. Didn't count them all and I may have made an error. 

This project has been a lot more rewarding than you might think it would be.

Friday my next 10 Flash Gitz should arrive. I plan to get bases made for them as soon as I can and get them built and set aside for next months goings on's. 

I've been having a lot of issues with my army painter dry brush. Have to open a new one. This one hasn't lasted very long it just for ragged really quickly and no amount of cleaning had seemed to matter. 

Update. 

New bases for Mega nobs Nine does, 8 mounted. 1 didn't work out for the MANZ, so I put a KFF Big Mek on it a little worried, it's a metal model so hopefully it stays on. 

These bases really improve the overall look of these models, they look closer to finished, but (spoilers.) we all know they aren't finished lol. Next I have 3 more bases fr the last MANZ, a SAG Mek and the little Kill saw mek, all ready for primer and paint. I'll be pulling the Flash Gitz from their bases today and we'll see how far along we can get. 
I also found 1 more storm boy hiding on my cluttered table so I know I have 24 and 3 set aside as nobs so 1 more box should do it. (for that full 30.)

I'm going to look for oval bases for my war bikers and rebase them on slightly larger bases, like the ones My Bone Splitterz Boar boys are on. Should look much better. 

Update.

Here's a link to several picture. I posted on my blog to save a lot of time.

Here's a quick look.
0424181334.jpg

These are looking fantastic. I'm taking a bit of a pause to build some models for my First Legion project, you can find that in the AoD. 

Then it'll be back to the bases and Vow season is coming.

ELT post.

I'm going to post my first ETL vow here then just move it to where ever it is that it needs to be.

I Vow to paint.

3 Ork War Trukks

10 Flash Gits

Kappin Badrukk 

I will be finished no later than 1 August, Or live in shame out in da drops with only a one eyed grot with a peg leg and hooks for hands to kick around having lost my pride, and my teff on a bad bet on a ruckus weekend drunk. (Replace all of that with proppa language...)

Still need to add points.

ETL Update.

Just easy work so far. Nearly finished priming the trukks. Some parts still needed primer as did that one trukk. I'll be base coating them next. After that I'll probably move on to begin assembly on the Flash Gitz. I expect that'll be something in the evenings. Hope to get them built quickly, I don't really enjoy assembling models any more. 

Update (regular update not ETL related.)

I just fount my Mega Armoured Big mek's KMB. No kill saw for him. Kill Saws are more or less unimpressive to me. I don't like only 2 damage weapons really.  Still haven't found the Tellyporta blasta. I can't recall the last place I saw it but it will be found. 

I prefer damage 2 weapons to d3 damage. It's not just that i feel I roll a lot of 1s, but also that there are enough things with two wounds, for whom rolling a 1 or 3 is both inefficient. I like the steadiness of damage 2.

I still have about 3 Mega Nobs with Kill saws but I feel that should be dedicated to killing things like 2 wound models or maybe transports as a secondary roll.  I prefer Power klaws for killing vehicles and large models with lots of wounds.  Thing is I feel I need 4 or 5 of them in a unit to do anything productive. I wont bother with one in a boys mob any more. 

For 2 damage I almost feel like the AP-4 is wasted on only 2 damage. Might as well just take big choppas, hit more and hope for the best. lol.  

MY next list will be featuring 2 or 3 nobs mobs 3 strong with big choppas in a trukk. (all in the same trukk.) Well, that's something I'm cooking up right now anyway. 

ETL Update.

trukks base coated brown and rust color stuck on. 

ETL Update.

One trukk close to done  and that's about it for this week. Likely post a picture Monday morning. Mondays are probably going to be picture days. So there's a little something to look forward to. lol.

MY usual Scrumgrod called, he's driving up north looking for games. He told me all about his new nasty list but it all seemed like gibberish to me, seems he's still fixated on our last game...last month. Sounds like he's bringing more tanks next time and more of them are transports and bringing more guard again. The new Ork codex can't get here fast enough. 

In the end it seems trying to play a smart game is confusing to the Cheese Monger. 
So think about that even a less than overly competitive list can laugh in the face of the competitive types. (Another reason I am enjoying 8th edition. )

Looks like it will be a rainy evening and Sunday as well. So I should have time to get to some painting. 

I'm rethinking my Burna boys for my next list. 2 mobs of 6 3 Spannas with KMB's in each mob. Just to see what happens. Plan to target tanks and transports. Or single out lone characters if the opportunity presents itself. 

Thinking about maxed out boys mobs. 180 point flat. What's roughly 2 Bubble Chukkas 2 KMK's. 

Just something I was thinking about.  
Looking for a way to do that and stick in Deff Dreads, trukks more boys and some extra fast stuff. It's still in early brain work stage right now. Nothing on paper yet.

ETL Update. 

Well, I am sick of looking at these trukks. The crews probably need a little more work but I'm sick of them right now. 
Never did rain today... 

I did put  just a little time in with da Kappin. But nothing of note so far. 
Out of town tomorrow most of the day. Not expecting to get anything done. (Aside from stopping at the liquor store for a bottle of bourbon. ) 
Hope to have a little more time with da Kappin tomorrow evening. 

Notes for the future. 
Next time pledge just a single model that I can get finished in the first few days, just for the impact on week one completed vow. Next year, maybe I'll remember or reread this post.

I'll post some poor pictures in the morning as promised.