Unit of the Week: Terminators

Acebaur

I would like to add Deathwatch Terminators into the mix. You aren't obligated to buy powerfists at 20 pts a pop, you can take power weapons at 4 or 5 pts, significantly reducing pts cost. On top of that take 3 heavy weapons in a 5 man squad.

I think a 10 man squad is better with the teleport homer too. It gets removed when you use it, so if you combat squad be aware that only one of them will be able to shunt. Not a problem of you bring 2 separate squads as they each get a teleport homer, but elite slots are fairly precious for astartes.

I jumped out of combat with the homer on launch day and the guy I was in combat with was fine with it, and we were at a GW store so since the manager didn't intervene I think it's fine. May need an FAQ but it kept my squad from getting wiped. It's good, no doubt about it. Also it's free, so there's literally no reason not to take it. 100% would recommend. :tu:

Question coming from back in the day playing (1st-3rd) to the current edition.

What "time period" are the tartars, cataphractii, and I guess, Indomi pattern terminator armors? When I played there was only one type of terminator armor. When I look at games-workshop the basic armor doesn't have a name attached, for example it's "assault terminators".

30K?

40K?

Anyway, thanks!

Question coming from back in the day playing (1st-3rd) to the current edition.

What "time period" are the tartars, cataphractii, and I guess, Indomi pattern terminator armors? When I played there was only one type of terminator armor. When I look at games-workshop the basic armor doesn't have a name attached, for example it's "assault terminators".

30K?

40K?

Anyway, thanks!

All three are 30K. I think Cataphractii is considered a bit older as it was the prototype and was slower and heavier until they learned to make it lighter (sort of like Mk III armor), and Tartaros is a bit newer as it's more advanced than the other two, but generally all three are equally ancient.

If GW rules don't mention the pattern, it's most likely referring to Indomitus since the rules for Cataphractii and Tartaros are relatively new and have their own unique rules and addendums.

In terms of models, Indomitus is the oldest, then Tartaros came out around 2011, then Cataphractii came out with the 30K game in 2012, and 40K didn't get the rules for Cataphractii and Tartaros until Betrayal at Calth and Burning of Prospero came out 1-2 years ago.

Edited by Tyberos the Red Wake

Also worth mentioning:

Cataphractii are from some ancient John Blanche artwork from RT times. Long before FW started the whole 30k thing, say 10–15 years ago, if you were building a 30k army for fun, you made your terminators into Cataphractii because they were seen as the the most ancient and extinct ones.

Tartaros are supposedly just invented by some sculptor, never seen them before they appeared on GW website.

Tartaros have been around for FW longer than GW. Yet, if the Tartaros suits came from another source than FW, I'd be very interested to see that.

Maybe it was the FW website then. ^^

Card game:

Oh, good tip. Could be an artwork source, too.

Now as we, as owners of the unit, decide which models to remove as casualties is it better to put chainfists on the same models that have assault cannons (and remove them last of all)? If you've got a squad of five that leaves three bullet-sponges before you get to the sergeant and heavy-weapons marine.

Having built my current squad under seventh edition rules I put the chainfist and assault cannon on different models for 'safety'. Next squad I might put both on the one marine.

Now as we, as owners of the unit, decide which models to remove as casualties is it better to put chainfists on the same models that have assault cannons (and remove them last of all)? If you've got a squad of five that leaves three bullet-sponges before you get to the sergeant and heavy-weapons marine.

Having built my current squad under seventh edition rules I put the chainfist and assault cannon on different models for 'safety'. Next squad I might put both on the one marine.

This is my view on things, my Tartaros Sergeant has plasma blaster, chain fist and grenade harness, my autocannon guy has chainfist also haha. All dakka and chop in one basket

Big fan of them all this edition now.

My only gripe is that they suffer the -1 to shooting heavy weapons on the move, which goes against the whole ultra-stable and inbuilt targetters part of the fluff.

Drop down a sensible 12" away and blast someone apart with some reroll support then again on overwatch etc. You can go for the 9.1" if you're feeling lucky with charge rolls though.

Concerning teleporting out of close combat, from the new FAQs:

Q. Can abilities that are used ‘instead of shooting’, such as
Smoke Launchers, be used if the model using them has Fallen
Back, Advanced or has enemy models within 1" of it?

A. Yes. A model can use such an ability so long as it does
not shoot – it does not matter whether this is because the
model cannot shoot or it chooses not to.

Not exactly the same, but a similar “instead” effect.

So it is safe to assume that the terminators can, in Indo get a reason to take, at least the shooty variant.

I must've missed something with the Homers - I thought they blew up forever if an enemy ever got within 9". So if your Terminators port in and shoot someone up, they can remove our only escape route by simply running within 9" of the unit. Having the Homer as an option to try and escape an assault should not work as far as I can tell.

The home is placed somewhere where no enemy wants to come close. Not in the obvious enemy deepstrike location.

Terminators can do whatever they want in the meantime.

But don't you need a homer on each side - both terminator and target? And don't you lose the ability completely if one of your two homers gets within 9"?

Ah ha, I misread the rules - "if a unit has a Teleport Homer, place it" - I took "it" to mean the unit, as in they have to carry the homer around. Thanks for setting me straight!