Thanks gang! He's a good kid, so he deserves it. One of the tacticals is almost done. The plan is to "Detail and decl" tonight, so more Ultrasmurf pictures up soon.  I'm enjoying this little project,but....I feel so..... clean.  *shudder*   I just can't tell you how bad I want to paint something rusty and puss ridden.  I might just have to build those space marine pox walkers I wanted to convert next.... just so I can feel dirty again.

• 3 weeks later...

Its done.  Task Force Jordan is complete and soon to be on the way as a late Christmas present to my 12 year old nephew.

The group shot....

TFJordanFin.jpg

And the tactical squads....

Ultratacticals.jpg

It was a fun project AND its sending a bunch of minis that have been laying around to a good home. Though I think my Nurgly Warpsmith would have loved to got his tentacles on those two Rhino hulls. I'm going back to the warmth of the EYE after this foray into the cold, stark light of the Emperor..... well, for the most part.  I have some Raptors to tweek and find a home for, then I need to figure out what to do with a bunch of other loyalist minis. Hmmmmmmmm.

These look epic and i would loved to have recieved something similar when i was 12. I hope he enjoys them and gets plenty of games played with them! 

I can see him asking you to paint some primaris at some point though ;) 

These look epic and i would loved to have recieved something similar when i was 12. I hope he enjoys them and gets plenty of games played with them! 

I can see him asking you to paint some primaris at some point though :wink:

That's what I'm afraid of. :)  I'm tempted to paint the Primaris from the started set as Ultras just in case. Otherwise, I haven't quite settled on what to do with them. If I was actually playing, rather than now being just a hobbyist, I'd add them to my Raptors army. Which I still might do anyways.  At this point its kind of like I was forced to listen to modern pop music for a month and just need to listen to a lot of loud Metallica and such to clear my head. :)

• 3 months later...

It all begins with a mess like this.....

ETLstart.jpg

All the Primaris from the Dark Imperium set are off to reinforce my Raptors army  - Task Force Ikarius - after its long and costly campaign in the Crixus system.  I'm also building two Land Speeder Storms as well for the challenge.  So here's the Primaris boys, so far.   The Captain, Lieutenants Ancient and two sergeants....

ETLcom1.jpg

The Inceptors....

ETLInc1.jpg

The Hellblasters and Intercessors.....

ETLTroop1.jpg

Still have to put some dirt on the bases, but then its off to priming. :)  AAaaaaaaaand building those two land speeders.

• 2 weeks later...

The painting is underway.  My recipe for my Raptor armor is as follows.....

ETLpaints.jpg

The Charadon Granite is slightly thinned with matte medium and water, that goes over a WW2 infantry brown primer.  Then a heavy drybrush with the P3 Battledress green.  I use the next to colors to drybrush and pick out the edges.  Then its on to GW Shades for the recesses and the armor looks something like this.....

raptLT01.jpg

I'm going to push hard to get most of my basic colors on by months end, because I just found out I'm having surgery in early June which may put my left arm out of commission for a while.  Thank the rotting corpse Emperor and the Old Gods too it wasn't my right shoulder.  If I can hold a miniature with my left, I should be able to paint... but we'll see how much it sets me back.  I should be able to paint, but building is a different story for a few weeks.  Looks like I'll have to get on those speeders in the next few days.

• 3 weeks later...

OK. Surgury is done. Its been a week and I can hold minis long enough to paint them, so I did some bulk drybrushing. I probably should have taken more meaningful breaks (and I'm paying for it a bit today), but all the marines are ready for a wash of Althonian Camoshade, then detailing, decals and weathering and DONE.  A shot of the bunch....

ETLdryb.jpg

And a before and after.......

ETLdryb2.jpg

So... are you going to be ok?

I understand this isn't really the forum for it and that it was your choice to be vague about things, but this seems important.

Also, your toy soldiers are very nice.

(Honestly, I consider your models to be among the best on the Internet. Nevertheless: surgery.)

Loving the Raptors. That green is so nice.

I understand this isn't really the forum for it and that it was your choice to be vague about things, but this seems important.

(Honestly, I consider your models to be among the best on the Internet. Nevertheless: surgery.)

He mentioned it more in the The Cults of DOOooom thread. Shoulder surgery

Awwww thanks !  yeah, torn tendon and some rotator cuff repair. I actually damaged it last fall, carrying sand bags DURING the hurricane. (that was a whole different kind of fun) Totally screwing my summer up, but now that I can hold minis, I can get some painting done. Once the Physical Therapy begins and I can lift my arm better, I can probably get back to building and sculpting.  Going to be home the bulk of the summer, so should get lots of hobby time, though I have lots of art work to do to make up the grocery money I'm losing not working my part time job. :)

Probably get some of the washes going tonight and I can post what the end result should look like.  Still have 2 scout speeders to build and paint for the challenge, but won't get to them for another week or so.  Even typing with both hands for too long is a bit much right now.

The lads (all drybrushed with Screaming Skull/Bleached Bone) looking on at what just dropped in......

ETLwash2.jpg

The top of the pic below is the before and after of the overall wash and the bottom is the end goal for the armor, with some additional shading of Althonian Camoshade mixed with Druchii Purple in some of the deeper recesse (along armor plates,etc)

ETLwash1.jpg

The LTs pouches and chest eagle (grey) are also done.  All that is left for him are details- eye lenses, dirt,armor chipping, etc. and finish up his base.  So the next update will have some finished guys. Hopefully, within a week my arm will feel up to doing some building (and sculpting on another more gribbly project) and I can get the speeders underway.

Thanks, Dr.Clock!  I wish I had done that on purpose. It was really more of a color choice and a bit of an homage to WW2 Allied infantry. Plus its a great base color to add camo too for the dusty bases I do. I figured the olive would pop. Always liked the Raptors because of their use of camo and sensible colors, though the original blue and yellow from the Rogue Trade days wasn't what I'd call sensible. :)

Working hard on the tedious batch painting and details. I can only paint for a couple hours at a time since the surgery, but its getting better. So more pics (hopefully of finished Raptors) soon.  I still have two speeders to build. :)

I love the drybrushed screaming skull/bleached bone on the marines. It looks like they have been fighting through some dust covered wasteland. That wash following that really makes the green stand out beautifully. Excited to see the next post with some pictures!

Edited by hushrong

Some progress. With the arm being a bit more useful I was able to get both the Landspeeder Storms built and primed.  Eventually, I'll build another scout squad out of the passengers, but for now I already have 15 scouts that can always use a lift.

LSStorm01.jpg

The Inceptor Squad is finished- minus decals and bases. I'll likely do most or all of the decalling on the same night for the whole group.  Same with painting the bases.  But here they are after the details and shading were done.

IncETL03.jpg

IncETL02.jpg

IncETL04.jpg

That's it for now.  Heading out for a short R&R, so I'll get back at these guys after that.  I'm thinking I might just finish on time after all. :)

Thanks, man! Usually I just do it with turquois and white, but I used some thinned Nihilakh Oxide and liked the effect.

Regrettably , no fishing. I still can't really drive without messing up my shoulder, so I'll be taking it easy. But I am working on some 40 comics and fluff for my Chaos armies, so lots of hobby fun ahead since I have another month (at least) at home.

Making a mental note as I may have to copy that in the future! It's got a nice glow and I don't think I am using this word right but the 'grit' of it makes it look like hot air. Which is a nice effect around a rocket meant to launch a tank-armored superhuman. 

Many sucks to hear about the lack of fishing or driving for that matter. Again, hoping for a swift recovery. Looking forward to the goodies you do churn out for your CSM on your down time.

Thanks for the great comments, ya'll. I'm celebrating my country's birthday with the in-laws, but should be back at it this weekend.  I'm enjoying these Raptors, but I want to get them done. Not just to fullfill my vow, but the call back to Chaos is STRONG. Looks like we are definitely planning a move for next year, so now I have to start thinking about culling the miniature herd. (my wife would like me to cut it down to one army,because I rarely play anymore.... but, uh... that's not likely to happen)  The upside is that it looks like the area we are going to move to has a bit better warhammer community.

Here's another shot with some different lighting. I think the other shot shows the olive better, but this one has some great detail, especially with the grey chest eagles. 

IncETL01.jpg