Imperialis Auxilia Hussars

Hydriatus

(If wrong forum for this, my apologies! First time posting something like this >_<)

So recently, I actually sat down and tried to design a unit for the Horus Heresy as a games design excercise. Here's what I came up - 30k Rough Riders! What do you all think?

KsvGI0y.jpg

GPYEn5x.jpg

Yes, I know they're mostly just more mobile grenadiers, but those seemed like the best "base" to work from thanks to their customisation.

Edited by Hydriatus

Looks like a solid start, id look at trimming out the less cavalry-useful weapon options though, some just seem too bulky to really be useful off a horse for example :) 

Meaning: Lasrifles, Heavy Stubbers, Rotor Cannons and possibly grenade launchers? 

Id probably add in hunting lances too, they are pretty iconic weapons, something like +3pts per model? 

A Unit of three seems like a very odd starting size, id probably start at 5 instead and roll from there.

Lastly, Hussars is an odd choice for a general term but i can see you are trying to get away from Rough rider :) 

Looks like a solid start, id look at trimming out the less cavalry-useful weapon options though, some just seem too bulky to really be useful off a horse for example :smile.: 

Meaning: Lasrifles, Heavy Stubbers, Rotor Cannons and possibly grenade launchers? 

Id probably add in hunting lances too, they are pretty iconic weapons, something like +3pts per model? 

A Unit of three seems like a very odd starting size, id probably start at 5 instead and roll from there.

Lastly, Hussars is an odd choice for a general term but i can see you are trying to get away from Rough rider :smile.:

Thank you for the feedback - I went with three as a start due to them sorta filling in the Ogryn style unit slot in Fast Attack. Will see how it plays by moving them upto five with associated point increase!

Well, I think that was a way to add NOTAttackBikes to Militia since the Hussars fill out a biker slot. However I see your point and will remove them. Hunting lances are iconic indeed, but don't Augmented Weapons fill in well for Hunting Lances as is? Or Power Lances if you want to be a nightmare? :P

Hmm, I think the guns are left over from when I had an option to give them Outflank in addition to Scout, so they wouldn't just come on and die...

Yeah...rough rider is a bit too colloquial I figured :P Now, should provenances affect them like a regular infantry squad or an ogryn squad? Also, if this unit were a thing, would have to add options for HQ/Enforcer/Medic to get a mount too, probably via a special provenance...

(Mostly wanted these so you could field a full feudal army going to war alongside their Knight Household master ;) )

No worries :D Always happy to help :D 

You could use Augmented weapons for lances, i guess im making sure they fit the general Auxilla mould of being able to do eeeeverything through options, Augmented weapons is certainly the obvious HtH option but for a unit to play like Lancers something like the Hunting Lance is fairly unique, IE hit hard on the charge but suck otherwise. :) 

Id definitely use the infantry provenances, perhaps add mounts to the Feral Warriors provenance for any character for +5pts? 

Hey, you know what? These are pretty balanced and fitting the militia theme. I'd say that they are a bit under-powered, even, which is totally ok.

I agree with Noserenda in that you could drop the entire second page and they would still be cool and make sense, but I understand why you included it there (for people who want to run them as a shooty unit). The only change I would make is to drop the cost of special weapons by about 5 points, power weapons to about 10, and grenades to 5. Allow them to pick scout, furious charge, or hit and run at the start of the game would be a cherry on top, but not really a game breaker. They're pretty balanced overall, but those few tweaks would make them go from 'fluffly' to 'not a bad choice'. For some provenances they would even be quite competitive.

Alright so with your suggested changes we have the following:

HORUS HERESY

IMPERIALIS AUXILIA HUSSARS (75 pts)

Fast Attack

Across the Imperium one can find a breath-taking variety of beasts of burden. It is of no surprise then, that many worlds also utilise such creatures as mounts during combat. The ubiquitous horse remains the mount of choice on many less civilized worlds, though some worlds instead make use of more exotic native fauna.

The Principa Bellicosa classifies all mounted military formations as ‘hussars’, even though the actual nature of these mounted units varies wildly. From lightly armed scout units riding skittish avians, to fully armoured shock assault squads astride ill-tempered carnivorous reptiles, one can find all sorts of cavalry across the Imperium.

[table]

[td][/td]

[td]WS[/td]

[td]BS[/td]

[td]S[/td]

[td]T[/td]

[td]W[/td]

[td]I[/td]

[td]A[/td]

[td]Ld[/td]

[td]SV[/td]

[td]Hussar Sergeant[/td]

[td]3[/td]

[td]3[/td]

[td]3[/td]

[td]4[/td]

[td]2[/td]

[td]3[/td]

[td]2[/td]

[td]7[/td]

[td]5+[/td]

[td]Hussar[/td]

[td]3[/td]

[td]3[/td]

[td]3[/td]

[td]4[/td]

[td]2[/td]

[td]3[/td]

[td]1[/td]

[td]6[/td]

[td]5+[/td]

[td]Special Weapon Hussar[/td]

[td]3[/td]

[td]3[/td]

[td]3[/td]

[td]4[/td]

[td]2[/td]

[td]3[/td]

[td]1[/td]

[td]6[/td]

[td]5+[/td]

[/table]

Unit Composition

• 1 Hussar Sergeant
  • 4 Hussars
Unit Type
  • Hussar Sergeant: Cavalry (Character)
  • Hussar: Cavalry
  • Special Weapon Hussar: Cavalry
Wargear
  • Close combat weapon
  • Auxilia pistol
  • Flak Armour
  • Frag grenades
Special Rules
  • Very Bulky
  • Provenance of War
  • Skilled Rider
Options
  • The squad may include:
    • Up to five additional Hussars (+15pts each)
  • The Hussar Sergeant may take meltabombs (+5pts)
  • The Hussar Sergeant may exchange their auxilia pistol and/or close combat weapon for one of the following:
    • Bolt Pistol (+2pts)
    • Hand Flamer (+10pts)
    • Blast Pistol (+5pts)
    • Augmented Weapon (+2pts)
    • Power Weapon (+5pts)
  • One Hussar may carry a Vexilla (+10pts)
  • The entire squad may replace their close combat weapons with:
    • Auxilia rifles (free)
    • Shotguns (+10pts per squad)
    • Lascarbines or autoguns (+10pts per squad)
    • Laslocks (+15pts per squad)
    • Lasrifles (+15pts per squad)
    • Augmented weapons (+15pts per squad)
  • The squad may include up to two additional Special Weapon Hussars, each with one of the following weapons:
    • Special weapon hussar with power weapon (+15pts per model)
    • Special weapon hussar with heavy stubber (+15pts per model)
    • Special weapon hussar with rotor cannon (+15pts per model)
    • Special weapon hussar with flamer (+15pts per model)
    • Special weapon hussar with meltagun (+20pts per model)
    • Special weapon hussar with plasma gun (+20pts per model)
    • Special weapon hussar with grenade launcher (frag & krak) (+20pts per model)
  • The entire squad may be given krak grenades (+5pts)
  • The entire squad may be given one of the following special rules:
    • Scout (10pts)
    • Furious Charge (10pts)
    • Hit and Run (10pts)
NOTE: Any Independent Character with the Feral Warriors Provenance may be mounted on a Hussar Steed for +5pts. This changes their unit type to Independent Character (Cavalry), they become Very Bulky and gain Skilled Rider. Enforcers and Medics mounted in this way can join Hussar units. 

How's that?

EDIT: I have no idea how BBCode tables work >_> Stats remain unchanged.

Edited by Hydriatus

Looking pretty spot on tbh, though i think the Power Weapon in the special weapon slot should be 10pts?

Keep in mind in Auxilia army you dont buy a special weapon, you buy a special weapon TROOPER. You aren't replacing a Hussar's weapon, you're buying an extra hussar - so surely he can't cost LESS than a regular soldier when having a special weapon?

:cuss, I missed that detail. In that case the prices before were well balanced. The new ones make them a more attractive choice, but they're not super strong unless you build specifically around them. Honestly this is probably one of the best homebrewed units I've seen on the forums and I'm probably going to run some with your rules :smile.: Good job.