Hybrid Metamorphs

Sawtooth

I'd like to know how people equip and run Metamorphs, and if they think they're worth it compared to other choices. They have so many options and I'm totally new to running Genestealers that I feel overwhelmed thinking about how to run these guys.

Well, in the previous edition the Lash Whips were amazing for the In7, but now they're kind of a joke.  IMO the Claws are best overall to push more wounds on tough targets, though there's an argument to be made for the Talons depending on how your run the army.  For the most part, Acolytes can play a similar role for less points and can splash better high Toughness killing with their Mining Weapons, not to mention how dominant Purestrain Genestealers are from a pure melee perspective (especially alongside the requisite Patriarch).

Metamorphs were always a formation tax unit of dubious use and now they've been nerfed into irrelevance. Just ignore them and bring more Acolytes. Since you lose access to rending with them now they're an elite unit that's only good against models without a decent saving throw or only has an invulnerable save. Their only advantage over normal acolytes is that they lose the knives for an extra real attack that can be used with their rending claws but then they have to pay extra to get a different worse weapon.

Even the theoretically best and most unique Metamorph weapon, the claw, only has value against T3 models with bad saves, otherwise you're better off relying on rending claws.

So the actual best metamorph weapon is the whip, because its the cheapest and the only one that doesn't lose its benefit if you want to attack with your rending claw.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. I was afraid it would turn out that way. It's a shame because the unit concept is interesting. I do love purestrain genestealers but was hoping for another viable elite choice. I hope Aberrants offer something, but I'm not sure about them, either.

If nothing else, Aberrants are much more durable than before (comparatively) and they're tougher out of ambush, especially with a Character around to bolster them.

Keep in mind this is just the Index. You guys should focus on building a feedback document you can post on warhammer 40000 facebook. Help them make a better dex for you guys.

Yeah that's had some success on the Deathwatch forums, though GW is still slower to react to obvious issues than I'd prefer.  That being said, I think the Metamorph issue will be addressed further in our codex, but who knows how long until that lands, eh?

Yeah that's had some success on the Deathwatch forums, though GW is still slower to react to obvious issues than I'd prefer.  That being said, I think the Metamorph issue will be addressed further in our codex, but who knows how long until that lands, eh?

Never know... I mean.. it could be Decemeber ehhh? ^_^

• 1 month later...

Probably the best models in the range, but damned if I can work out what to do with them. I keep rereading the dataslate and thinking "...I don't understand what you do. Help me understand. Help me to help you."