Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hybrid Metamorphs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

Sawtooth

Sawtooth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,468 posts

I'd like to know how people equip and run Metamorphs, and if they think they're worth it compared to other choices. They have so many options and I'm totally new to running Genestealers that I feel overwhelmed thinking about how to run these guys.

The man who has nothing can still have faith.

Vel'Cona

Vel'Cona

++ DUCTOR EXSANGUIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,843 posts

Well, in the previous edition the Lash Whips were amazing for the In7, but now they're kind of a joke.  IMO the Claws are best overall to push more wounds on tough targets, though there's an argument to be made for the Talons depending on how your run the army.  For the most part, Acolytes can play a similar role for less points and can splash better high Toughness killing with their Mining Weapons, not to mention how dominant Purestrain Genestealers are from a pure melee perspective (especially alongside the requisite Patriarch).

Seems like these models will never end!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,945 posts

Metamorphs were always a formation tax unit of dubious use and now they've been nerfed into irrelevance. Just ignore them and bring more Acolytes. Since you lose access to rending with them now they're an elite unit that's only good against models without a decent saving throw or only has an invulnerable save. Their only advantage over normal acolytes is that they lose the knives for an extra real attack that can be used with their rending claws but then they have to pay extra to get a different worse weapon.

Even the theoretically best and most unique Metamorph weapon, the claw, only has value against T3 models with bad saves, otherwise you're better off relying on rending claws.

So the actual best metamorph weapon is the whip, because its the cheapest and the only one that doesn't lose its benefit if you want to attack with your rending claw.

Edited by Closet Skeleton, 29 June 2017 - 05:42 PM.

Sawtooth

Sawtooth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,468 posts

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. I was afraid it would turn out that way. It's a shame because the unit concept is interesting. I do love purestrain genestealers but was hoping for another viable elite choice. I hope Aberrants offer something, but I'm not sure about them, either.

The man who has nothing can still have faith.

Vel'Cona

Vel'Cona

++ DUCTOR EXSANGUIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,843 posts

If nothing else, Aberrants are much more durable than before (comparatively) and they're tougher out of ambush, especially with a Character around to bolster them.

Sircyn

Sircyn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 54 posts

My Metamorphs are getting rolled into my Acolyte units as especially gribbly examples thereof. I'm glad I only built up 6 of them before the edition change was announced!

Aothaine

Aothaine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,929 posts

Keep in mind this is just the Index. You guys should focus on building a feedback document you can post on warhammer 40000 facebook. Help them make a better dex for you guys.

Vel'Cona

Vel'Cona

++ DUCTOR EXSANGUIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,843 posts

Yeah that's had some success on the Deathwatch forums, though GW is still slower to react to obvious issues than I'd prefer.  That being said, I think the Metamorph issue will be addressed further in our codex, but who knows how long until that lands, eh?

Aothaine

Aothaine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,929 posts

Yeah that's had some success on the Deathwatch forums, though GW is still slower to react to obvious issues than I'd prefer.  That being said, I think the Metamorph issue will be addressed further in our codex, but who knows how long until that lands, eh?

Never know... I mean.. it could be Decemeber ehhh? ^_^

A D-B

A D-B

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,486 posts

Probably the best models in the range, but damned if I can work out what to do with them. I keep rereading the dataslate and thinking "...I don't understand what you do. Help me understand. Help me to help you."

Note: Everything I say is my own personal opinion as hobbyist, a novelist, and the world's slowest painter. It's not intended to reflect back on Games Workshop in any professional context.

Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Stercus

Stercus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,486 posts
So far what they seem to do is stand there looking achingly cool.

<p>gallery_48988_6285_50857.png
My thread of things:
http://www.bolterand...lds-some-stuff/

WIP Index Astartes Articles:

Gatekeepers: http://www.bolterand...pers/?p=4192488

Harvesters: http://www.bolterand...ters/?p=4192489

Sons of Aetius: http://www.bolterand...tius/?p=4192491

Stercus percussit molendinum ad

Oem

Oem

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21 posts

As some said, for now metamorphs are just filling acolyte squads :P

Raktra

Raktra

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,005 posts

So far what they seem to do is stand there looking achingly cool.

1447262725857.png