Couldn't sleep, so I decided to whip up a cool model that's been bouncing around my head since the Primaris marines were first shown. I'm a sucker for cool models, and while it pains me after converting and painting 15 normal wulfen just 4 months ago, the primaris marines are just too awesome. On the plus side, now they fill out a 40mm base, so I won't need to worry about my Wulfen on incorrectly sized bases (nobody has complained, but it's always a concern when I play the army). Also, the actual plastic Wulfen arms fit much MUCH better on the Primaris bodies with only a little putty to fill gaps. Some of the regular sized Wulfen conversions I made used Spellcrow resin arms while some I had to cut down the plastic wulfen arms, neither was ideal. The pose on the new conversion looks much more natural as well since the Primaris models are mostly striding forward, helps give the Wulfen much more of a sense of movement than the old conversions. The Wolf Guard was a test mini, simple headswap (spellcrow resin head) and a plastic SW shoulderpad. Other models going forward I may or may not carve down the imperial eagle on the shin but I'd definitely replace the belt shrine with a wolf tail. Don't want to go overboard, I like my SW looking like grey marines with only the occasional wolf bit  

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p512/Rhelyk/Space%20Wolves/20170629_014535_resized_zpst5hu8fr1.jpg

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p512/Rhelyk/Space%20Wolves/20170629_014542_resized_zps79gstm4c.jpg

They looked so cool until I did a side by side :sad.: Poor little guy's going in the closet very, very soon

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p512/Rhelyk/Space%20Wolves/20170629_014553_resized_zpsnujm6ors.jpg

Primaris Wolf Guard and poor, tiny Ragnar conversion

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p512/Rhelyk/Space%20Wolves/20170629_014628_resized_zpspryflfjy.jpg

Wolf Guard and Ragnar, just because

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p512/Rhelyk/Space%20Wolves/20170629_014643_resized_zpshbqk8htv.jpg

I may be an idiot for thinking this but here it goes anyways.

I always thought the new wulfen looked oversized for what they were. In the fluff they were marines that simply went feral and grew more wolf-like features. I never thought they became significantly larger, but remained relatively the same sized but with increased muscle mass. The old wulfen kind of showed this by being a space marine with these same designs. The new wulfen overshadows normal marines and looked unusual. When they stand next to Primaris it almost feels like this is how large they should have been.

My mind waivers about this, but I wonder if GW did plan on the wulfen being this large, as they knew they would look more appropriate when placed next to a Primaris. More wild speculation is that maybe the Primaris were originally supposed to be just normal true-scaled space marines, but fearing that people would reject and throw tantrums (which has been proven) decided to make a new space marine the "Primaris". Or maybe the new SW Primaris are prone to become wulfen and thus the size is justified. I guess we will never know the truth but I would like to know what they were attempting to do.

These models look great though! This is what I had hoped on doing once multi-part Primaris come out.

Absolutely agreed on the plastic wulfen being too big compared to regular marines. I didn't play 13th company, but I did have quite a few of the models to use for Mark of the Wulfen figures. Part of why I did the older conversions is to match the look of those older metal figures using the plastics. It mostly worked, but because the arms are so long it wasn't a complete success. Also, I probably should have shelled out for assault marine legs, but they were fairly expensive to bitz order enough and I already had plenty of legs, so it was a conscious decision made to balance look and cost. With the Primaris, I don't need to make that choice

As for if GW made them intending to size up against Primaris? Who knows. Even if they are better sized now, it still doesn't make them any less lanky and stupid.

How do they look next to a Primaris? Just as terrible :tongue.: Not actually sure, I don't own any of the plastic Wulfen, just bought the bits I needed from ebay sellers. Got some paint on him and rebased the wolf guard. Still WIP, needs a unit decal and some grass tufts to finish up the base but he's 95%. Speaking of ebay, he'll have some buddies once my order arrives. In the meantime I'm finishing the Grey Hunter squad that the Wolf Guard will be leading

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p512/Rhelyk/Space%20Wolves%20redux/20170702_061427_resized_zpsztk3mrcs.jpg

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p512/Rhelyk/Space%20Wolves%20redux/20170702_061458_resized_zpstt5qnfxf.jpg

Wulfen have always been larger than normal SW as a result of the unchecked muscle growth and transformation. Hell, Redmaw was classed as a Monsteous Creature!

The conversion looks top notch! If he had some Berserker running legs and a scratched out Chaos shoulder pad, he would be a spitting image of the old 13th Co models.

Got some more done up today. For now these guys are just a counts-as chaos (mark of khorne) killteam for Shadow War Armageddon. I ordered some resin Arcadian guardsmen from Victorai Miniatures to represent the "cultists", Wulfen will be a "chaos Spawn" special operative. They'll eventually replace most of my actual wolves too, probably as counts-as truescale grey Hunters and Blood Claws, at least for the time being. We'll se what 8th ed brings to SM and to SW especally as time goes on.

20170702_201402_resized.jpg

20170702_201426_HDR_resized.jpg

I don't think the regular SM arms will look good on Primaris marines, although you can get away with using the hands. Flamer was a Primaris bolt rifle that I cut off of the arm and then cut the grip out of to use the actual Primaris left hand, cut out the bottom tube and a bit of the grip on the flamer itself and slotted in the Primaris grip. Heavy bolter was only slightly more involved, I did have to cut away a large portion of the tigger and main body to fit it over the longer Primaris arm. Cut the ammo belt off the regular SM arm and was able to mostly twist it around the larger figure, there's an ugly join at the bottom I'll hide in some grass tufts and I had to carve out the inside of the belt near the knee to fit it around him, but that allowed me to glue it to the knee for added support. Overall neither conversion was terribly difficult

Thanks guys.

Heads and shoulder pads are the exact same size, and the heads are separate pieces on all the Darl Imperium Priamaris marines. All my bare heads are Spellcrowe resin ones, helmets are regular plastic (I'm a sucker for standard MK7 helmets). Shoulder pads require you to file down the shoulder, or you can obviously just use the same decals. The power packs are essentially the same size but they use a square connection instead of the round and require a minimal cut to round off the nub. Hand are fairly interchangeable as well. Arms, legs and torsos are too far off, they'd require some heavy converting and putty skills