8th Edition - Chaplain and Company Veteran Bikers

So I'm building a Marshall and Company Champ and Apothecary all on bikes with a couple of Sword Brothers (veterans) to ride along with them. It's a lot of points with the combis... but they're gonna look crazy cool. With the T5 and lots of attacks should be good.

Just have to decide if I want my Marshall to wield a Thunder Hammer. 4 Attacks with that? Maybe worth the 25 points.

Just have to decide if I want my Marshall to wield a Thunder Hammer. 4 Attacks with that? Maybe worth the 25 points.

Short answer: Yes, the TH is probably in the top 3 best choices for an Astartes character with WS 2+.  Especially the Marshal, who gets the sweet re-rolls on 1s.  The 3 flat damage is incredibly strong for smashing down big beasties/tanks.

Ran my bikes friday against a 1k sons list. they did work, not sure if we are doing smite right. Since technically it's not shooting is he able to target characters even behind other models? Either way the apothecary was a beast and restored 11 wounds over 4 turns. Thunder hammer Marshal doing 12 wounds is also gross.

Short answer: Yes, the TH is probably in the top 3 best choices for an Astartes character with WS 2+. Especially the Marshal, who gets the sweet re-rolls on 1s. The 3 flat damage is incredibly strong for smashing down big beasties/tanks.

Right. That's that then. I was leaning that way and all I needed was a little push. Thanks!

Ran my bikes friday against a 1k sons list. they did work, not sure if we are doing smite right. Since technically it's not shooting is he able to target characters even behind other models? Either way the apothecary was a beast and restored 11 wounds over 4 turns. Thunder hammer Marshal doing 12 wounds is also gross.

I believe that smite power is forced to target the nearest enemy unit within range, character or not

I believe that smite power is forced to target the nearest enemy unit within range, character or not

Correct, you have to target the closest enemy model.

Thunder hammer is great against tough vehicles. My Marshal killed a battlewagon with his hammer in my last game. It exploded, killing 3 out of my 5 terminators, half a crusade squad, a Rhino, left the marshal himself on just 2 wounds... oh, and 3 shoota boyz as well. Note to self: stay away from the battlewagon when it gets low on wounds!

Thunder hammer is great against tough vehicles. My Marshal killed a battlewagon with his hammer in my last game. It exploded, killing 3 out of my 5 terminators, half a crusade squad, a Rhino, left the marshal himself on just 2 wounds... oh, and 3 shoota boyz as well. Note to self: stay away from the battlewagon when it gets low on wounds!

lol - last time i played against night lord. Their greatest terrorweopon was one rhino who expolodes and take my emperors champion 3 wounds, Grimaldus 3 wounds, my crusadersquad 3 wounds, a imperial commander 1 wound, one of my rhinos 1 wound  and at last...

Helbrecht last 3 wounds :teehee:

i swear this must be a greater plan of tzeentch,... he have plans with us.

I think this might be an issue that GW needs to address not just with Space Marines but with gaming balance in general... majority of vehicles explode and cause Mortal Wounds, which in terms of characters and units is a big issue... albeit the chances of exploding isn't much, but the fact that it deals mortal wounds is a huge cause for concern... back in previous editions, vehicles exploding can still be saved by armor, which makes sense since if your armor/force field is sturdy enough to catch a Battlecannon aimed directly at your face, then it should be sturdy enough to block off an explosion happening in your vicinity... I mean, Terminator armor for instance can now shrug off Plasma Cannon blasts, blasts designed to have the heat, force and intensity of a small sun... but a Land Speeder exploding within 3" will kill him with no saves whatsoever... I understand that Mortal Wounds is necessary to demonstrate unbearable forces, or attack that by pass all armor and shielding, but explosions from vehicles that cause mortal wounds, in a warzone full of exploding ordnance that causes NO mortal wounds is dumb rules choice...

Exploding vehicles should have the D3 instant wounding value, but has a -4 or -3 AP instead of bypassing armor...

Some progress:

I have converted the Chaplain by taking each biker leg separately, and carving in between the book and his body. I think it was worth the extra TLC to preserve the Chaplain's detailed crutch guard. A spare pair of biker legs helped me to get the right alignment on pinning the pair of legs.

gallery_23461_6457_281479.jpg

So, mounted on his steed ....

gallery_23461_6457_1004845.jpg

I still need to paint a white Templar cross on the left shoulder/skull ....

Hidden Content
gallery_23461_6457_606454.jpg

Meanwhile, a production line of six bikes has been completed in "Sword Brethren" colours for the Ancient, Company Champion and Vets...

Hidden Content
gallery_23461_6457_860396.jpg

Now to decide the weapon load-outs, without changing my mind again ... :whistling:

OK, weapon load outs ..........

These guys are going to be high profile and very conspicuous targets at the start of a game.  Their role is to hit and hinder whatever enemy can hurt or move before the real Black Templar train gets rolling.  Sooooo, survivability and htiing power =>

Characters:

BT Chaplain on bike - just the crozius acainum

Company Ancient on bike - Astartes Banner and chainsword - he is there only for the buff on LD (and last chance hits might be a bonus)

Company Champion on bike - standard m/c power sword, but no options available other than combat shield.

Veterans:

Veteran Sergeant / Sword Brethren on bike - Power Fist and Storm Shield

Veteran no.1 on bike - BT Power Axe and Storm Shield

Additional Veteran no.1 on bike - Power Sword and Storm Shield

Additional Veteran no.2 on bike - BT Power Axe and Storm Shield

.also considering a 3rd Additional Veteran, but I am short of a bike at this time, with Power Sword and Storm Shield.

Feedback welcome (although I have already started the build.:biggrin.: ).

I've run a captain on bike with th And ss. With t5 And 3+\3++ hitting on 2(3 with th) re-rolling 1 is a beast. Also with his aura to re-roll hits on 9"(with relic helmet) And fact he is on bike make him good" buff giver". I thing that with 6" heroic intervention may be good support hard hitting unit. What you guys think? Edited by Aegir_Einarsson

I've held back on an Apothecary conversion for the present.  The only model on the GW webstore is the new Primaris.  I am guessing (well, hoping) that there might be a new model soon.   If not, then it's back to searching the street stores or bits web-stores. 

• 3 weeks later...

Black Templar Company of Bikers:

Here is the completed squad of Company Veteran Bikers with supporting Chaplain, Ancient and Company Champion Characters, at just under 500 points. All the Veterans have Storm Shields and the Company Bodyguard Ability, with should make the squad resilient as well as hard-hitting with power weapons. Their role is to get out early and cause mayhem whilst the Crusade gets into optimal positions, so they should be an early firepower magnet.

Black Templar Chaplain

gallery_23461_6132_571076.jpg

More to follow on separate Post.....

Edited by Psykic_scribe

Continuing:

Company Ancient – brings a Black Templar Pennant as the Astartes Banner as being more suitable to a bike; using a bike mounting enables a power sword or chainsword to be wielded without looking ridiculous.

gallery_23461_6132_732821.jpg

Company Champion – His only “extra” is the combat shield, but I hope he is a good character-killer, with Honour or Death.

gallery_23461_6132_734204.jpg

and finally:

Company of Veteran Bikers - comprises four of the five models for this squad. Most are magnetised for alternative power weapons. I may follow up with an additional biker later, but the Apothecary is probably not worth his points for this squad’s load-out.

Company Sergeant – Sword Brethren – Wields a Power Fist for when a big crunch is needed.

Hidden Content
gallery_23461_6132_430180.jpg

Company Veteran Biker 1 – with Storm Shield and Power Axe. Black Templar Veterans need not be “Sword Brethren” but I have made no distinction on their colours in this squad.

Hidden Content
gallery_23461_6132_756732.jpg

Company Veteran Biker 2 – with Storm Shield and Power Sword or Power Axe. The bike is posed turning left with the aid of some plastic rod and GS.

Hidden Content
gallery_23461_6132_266809.jpg

Company Veteran Biker 3 – with Storm Shield and Power Sword in the left hand. The bike is posed turning right.

Hidden Content
gallery_23461_6132_98777.jpg

Ready for any feedback on the weapon choices and for/against my expectations on their battlefield role.

So I would think that power mauls are actually superior to power axes in most cases. (also 2 damage) Though I haven't done the math, would anyone be willing to argue otherwise?

Power Mauls aren't 2 Damage, they're S+2.

Compared to a Power Axe they're better against T3 (2+ instead of 3+), T5 (3+ instead of 4+), T10 and T11 (5+ instead of 6+).

The big downside of Mauls/Lances is their AP is only -1, making them less effective for MEQ hunting, but great for carving through GEQs.