Redtoof's Orky Battles

Redtoof

Edit: Some gits pressed da wrong button and most of my pictures disappeared from the internet. In response I started a blog, https://redtoof.blogspot.co.uk/

I'm plannng to post some (fairly lazy) battle reports here. Hopefully they will be in some way educating and/or entertaining. Here is the first one:

2000 points, Orks vs Chaos Space Marines. Me vs two opponents with 1000 each. All still learning the rules.

My list was a Battalion with a spearhead detachment. Warboss Redtoof, big mek Gubbinz, wierdboy Durrork Orkora, nobz, 2 trukks, 70 boyz, tankbustas, lootas, deffdread, kans and kannons. My enemies were 2 daemon princes, 2 defilers, melta havocs in a rhino, contemptor, Leviathan and 2 decimators loaded up with mortal wound guns. The Mission was contact lost, though I think it was mostly forgotten in favour of smashing stuff.

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q565/dan_wellington1/BE86B589-20D8-4B89-B586-9BC3D37CB0AD_zpsptcfw3b5.jpg

Deployment looks like this. Two wedges of stompiness. They went first.

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q565/dan_wellington1/56F73E66-9540-41EB-9383-F9C31F1C3F54_zpspkjskhaf.jpg

Chaos stomp forward. Shooting is not so effective thanks to heavy weapons, apart from my lootas getting mortal wounded to death. The defiler did the Warp time up in my face.

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q565/dan_wellington1/3B468389-86B8-45B2-A611-DA2276B65F9C_zpsdqufevq2.jpg

That defiler charges into the front of my formation. My movement is severely hampered. Feels like this might have been a cunning plan if the defiler wasn't so expensive.

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q565/dan_wellington1/A39E7ACB-AD42-42E7-B1B5-A12E9D84A90A_zpsxx53v8ec.jpg

Redtoof and his Nobz get out. He orders the boyz to get out of the way so the deffdread can get in. (Gubbinz fixed up the damage it took so it was back to full.)

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q565/dan_wellington1/89C44CBF-7E07-4C1A-8A67-9D42CE868006_zps12c1vh8m.jpg

Problem solved.

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q565/dan_wellington1/FDC73D96-9E94-44FB-BD61-93D08430E309_zpsylyawtb7.jpg

The chaos follow the defiler into the meat grinder.

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q565/dan_wellington1/0A4B7F56-6D48-45E3-A5EE-80A11AE16536_zpsq3hrkxw4.jpg

Shooting takes out the dread. The leviathan charges Redtoof after the Nobz are reduced by the defiler. Warlord slain.

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q565/dan_wellington1/ABC65112-0D39-45B2-BEA2-021728DD5925_zps0xeppmjd.jpg

Not in any way motivated by revenge, the tankbustas, kans and my characters converge on the Leviathan.

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q565/dan_wellington1/BBF34CB9-C690-4F70-914F-86DB434680B6_zpscnucwwuj.jpg

Jobs a gud 'un. Tankbustas are tasty.

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q565/dan_wellington1/D9C89C2B-B39C-4047-96AB-B2344C818FEA_zpsqeo0xdry.jpg

Kans and bustas charge the defiler and get a bonus stompy monster kill this turn.

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q565/dan_wellington1/7C5B8AE0-47E1-4420-9D2D-D087640396F2_zpsxionfjlp.jpg

Iron warriors rhino does an admirable impression of a wall and blocks many of my boyz reaching the contemptor who is eating his way through their buddies.

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q565/dan_wellington1/D069D8F9-4B66-47F1-B95A-B744D9C62538_zpsy5w7g83n.jpg

Chaos decide (wisely) that the kans have to go. Between two princes, the Decimator and the havocs, they are wiped out. It's ok, they were only grots.

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q565/dan_wellington1/99777AA6-6C32-4C9A-8390-3817700B8B5E_zpspvkhbhku.jpg

Rhino goes, the boyz get to pile in on that contemptor.

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q565/dan_wellington1/8ED4BA68-4D02-4682-8D8D-EB59E38E45FB_zpslyfxyjy6.jpg

So my last two tankbustas in melee with the prince happened to have rokkit pistols. They finished it off in the shooting phase, allowing my two remaining Nobz along with Gubbinz and Durrork to pile into the second prince, killing him as well. I also throw buckets of dice at the contemptor and finally kill it. With the leaders gone, the last few turns were just mopping up Havocs then claiming some token objectives while the last Decimator back-pedalled into his deployment zone. In the end a solid victory 15-4.

Learning points:

Tankbustas are good took out the first Decimator so fast I didn't catch it in the report :p

Kans are good. Try a big unit with a wierdboy casting Warpath on them for 5 attacks each.

Wierdboy is quite good at bashing stuff.

Lootas probably need a battlewagon to hide in because they are super vulnerable.

A big unit of orks can grind down a dread over a few turns.

Rolling lots of dice is still fun. :)

Edited by Redtoof

Thnaks for the battle report.

Sorry to see the lootas so fragile. A battlewagon is a bit steep to stand around baby-sitting lootas. Maybe a trukk as a stop gap? They could have at least a couple of turns worth of shooting before taking casulaties. or am I thinking too big?

Did you have any Powerklaws in there? If so, how did they perform?

Thnaks for the battle report.

Sorry to see the lootas so fragile. A battlewagon is a bit steep to stand around baby-sitting lootas. Maybe a trukk as a stop gap? They could have at least a couple of turns worth of shooting before taking casulaties. or am I thinking too big?

Did you have any Powerklaws in there? If so, how did they perform?

Yeah, to be fair anything is vulnerable to Decimators with soul burners, but the lootas feel like if they get shot, they die. I suspect a truck could work, just don't move until near the end if it's still alive, then you can grab some objectives.

Had a few klaws, they are still good for taking chunks out of dreads. The killsaws are also nice, probably a worthy upgrade for a few more points than the klaw. Rokkits are probably still better if you can put a lot of them on a target. Hence tankbustas good.

• 1 month later...
Recently had the displeasure of trying to stem the " tide" .My buddy ran in our first game Boyz mob(30) Warboss+Painboy on bikes 2_ herds of Gretchin and lootas in a truck.In the second game it was 2- DefDreads,A Battlewagon w Mek,10 Lootas and a squad of Meganobz. My take away was Lootas if kept outta harms way can rain hot death on your enemies but they need at the very least a truck(Battlewagon!) as I discovered like you they maybe Orks but they do not Cope well w/ Frontline duties!

• 1 month later...

I did another Orky battle!

This time it was just against regular opponent John and his Emperors Children. We played 2000 points and a random eternal war mission (it was the one with 4 objectives, no funny business) in preparation for John going to play a tournament at Warhammer world. His army featured 2 lords on steeds, 2 cultist squads, noise marine squad, 2 Contemptors, 2 regular dreads, 2 Decimators and a Leviathan. I went for a 12 command point brigade with Warboss, Big Mek, Wierdboy, 6 units of boyz of various sizes, Mad Doc, Painboy, Waaagh banner, 3 individual Deffkopters, 2 individual Kans, a Dread and 2 Trukks for my smallest boyz mobs.

IMG_1750.jpg

I deployed in a big bubble around the mek and doks, with a trukk on each flank to be annoying/grab objectives. John deployed his forces split to hold the objectives on one side of the table and advance to the ones on the other.

Unsurprisingly he went first. Most of his right flank was unable to target my main blob so advanced with some limited shooting. The nasty dreads on the left destroyed my dread and a kan, as well as killing some boyz here and there.

IMG_1751.jpg

My forces advance to my right, where there are two objectives and a load of dreads. The koptas come on and don't do much. The truck on my left flank hides behind a building with an objective on it. It does this for basically the whole game.

I use Da Jump to get a slugga mob up close and charge a screening unit of cultists, piling in on the Decimator, sadly not reaching the Leviathan.

IMG_1753.jpg

Decimator disengages, Leviathan uses Fire Frenzy (I assumed this was ok since it has the Helbrute key word in the FAQ). Slugga boyz disappear.

IMG_1754.jpg

Noise marines and dreads continue to advance, cutting into my blob from the other side. I suffer appreciable losses.

IMG_1755.jpg

Using the Warboss ability another unit of boyz advances out in front to make a charge. They aim to tie up the Leviathan and kill the remaining cultists. I made the mistake of declaring a multi charge which cost me plenty of boyz to overwatch. The cultists were destroyed at least, and I stopped those butcher cannons for a turn.

IMG_1756.jpg

Leviathan disengages and the combined firepower of the other walkers removes the boyz. One of the Decimators uses it's long legs to zoom up and threaten my characters.

IMG_1758.jpg

The steady Contemptor/Noise marine march starts getting perilously close. They notice my hidden truck. The Decimator kills my Big mek, and I really don't have many boyz left.

IMG_1759.jpg

Mad Dok, Painboy with killsaw and Waaagh Nob have a go at bringing the Decimator down. The wierdboy cast Da Jump on the Warboss, who goes for glory in charging the other Decimator.

IMG_1762.jpg

The boyz from the right flank trukk make into combat as well, killing one of the dreads and piling in to another. The Warboss takes an unfortunate amount of overwatch damage, but does kill off the Decimator, dealing the last wound with his attack Squig! He piles in to the Leviathan.

In other news the second Decimator is brought down by the docs and the nob, with the last wounds coming from the Waaagh Banner itself.

IMG_1763.jpg

Steed lord and Contemptors close in on my remaining characters and few boyz. I drop the lord to a single wound with Smite, but my main forces are wiped out. The Warboss gets stomped on by the Leviathan, while the rest of he boyz are killed off.

IMG_1764.jpg

My little boyz mob on the left flank tries in vain to hold on to a token objective, but they are gunned down and the last few boyz fall to morale.

Emperor's Children are victorious.

I'm relearning the same lessons I learnt from my Tyranids battles - a big, relatively slow, melee swarm doesn't really work. Suffering 2-3 turns of firepower without being able to answer back is brutal. For all the talk of melee and hordes being strong in this edition, I'm finding out this doesn't seem to be the case - at least not without significant firepower or speed.

In hindsight this army had too many support elements and not enough ability to actually hurt my opponent. I really missed tankbustas in this one. Extra command points are nice, but they are not worth sacrificing the balance of your army for. In the early games of 8th I was finding I was losing games more to tactical errors than list building - but now we have been playing for some time I'm finding list building is more and more important, perhaps more so than ever before.

To make me feel a bit better about it, John went to the tournament and came second overall, tabling 2 opponents and reducing the other to 1 model. He also picked up best army and best vehicle for his Leviathan, which my iPad camera simply will not do justice to.

• 1 month later...

Hello, back again for another bat rep. Orks against Emperor's Children again. It's been a little while since I played this one so the derails are a bit hazy, but no matter...

I took what I considered to be a very fluffy Snakebite list. Warboss on bike (boar), painboy on bike/boar, force field mek, wierdboy, Nob bikers/boarboyz, regular bikers/boarboyz, 2 mobs of 20 slugga boyz, some Gretchen, burna boyz, tankbustas, 3 kannons and Nipper, the Gargantuan Squiggoth. Nipper had up to this point not played an 8th ed game. He has also never survived a game of 40k.

John prepared a 'not that nasty' list, containing 2 lords on steeds, 2 squads of noise marines, 2 squads of cultists, 2 contemptors, a big blob of spawn, a Leviathan loaded up with butcher cannons and a helforged whirlwind scorpius.

I think we both had 7 command points. We played a maelstrom mission, though I can't remember which one, as it was largely irrelevant.

IMG_1959.jpg

Snakebites set up. Boars and boys either side of Nipper, with the burnas and tankbustas riding on the howda. Big mek hiding next to him rather than on top as, since Nipper is not a vehicle, his force field wouldn't work while embarked. I was looking forward to the Squiggoth, it has some weird rules but has loads of wounds and is relatively cheap for a super heavy.

IMG_1960.jpg

Emperor's Children line up. Note the large space in front of them with no Orks in it.

IMG_1963.jpg

Orks move up. Everything moves forward or advances, apart from the gross who sit at the back ready to claim an objective. The Nob Boars move next to the watch tower to claim an objective.

IMG_1965.jpg

Wierdboy casts 'Da jump' and shifts the pink mob (appropriately) into the chaos lines. We joke that they have changed sides. In shooting I eventually kill off one of the cultist units with a lot of very bad shooting from the nobs, kannons and eventually the Squiggoth's shootas. The Big Lobba and tankbustas knock out a few noise marines. Sadly the Pink Boyz fail their charge.

IMG_1968.jpg

The noise marines bunch up to eliminate the boyz. They do such a good job that the second unit turns to fire elsewhere.

IMG_1969.jpg

The rest of the noise marines plus the contemptors remove my Nobz. Elsewhere the Scorpius kills off most of my other Boar boyz that were hiding behind a building, (that thing is super nasty!) and the Leviathan cuts a chunk out of the Squiggoth. To add insult to injury the cultists use the Tide of Traitors stratagem to jump into the board behind my grots and kill them. Not a great turn for me but Nipper still lives.

IMG_1971.jpg

Again, Nipper moves forwards. Other units move up to get to objectives, but I'm suddenly a bit thin on the ground. Those marines are still far away. In the shooting phase my tankbustas try to deal with the Scorpius, but John passes most of his saves and I only inflict 3 damage. I discover that Nipper doesn't have an 'ignore the -1 for heavy weapons' rules, making him worse than I thought. His shooting is ineffective. In other news the Wierdboy gets a max damage Smite to gut the cultist squad that snuck up behind him, reducing himself to 1 wound in the process. Worth it!

IMG_1972.jpg

Nipper is the primary target. Leviathan and Whirlwind pound away at him, leaving him bloodied but still standing. A contemptors closes the gap to finish the job.

IMG_1974.jpg

And he does. Burnas and Bustas disembark to get some revenge, but things are looking bleak. The spawn wobble up on the flank to butcher my last boyz unit who were trying to defend an objective.

IMG_1977.jpg

Tankbustas and kannons finish the contemptor, and thanks to the enforced disembarkation last turn the Burnas actually manage to defend an objective for me this turn. The Warboss charges in to try and do something, targetting one of the Lords. However he comes up short.

IMG_1979.jpg

The Emperor's Children move up to take objectives and finish every off. With most of his force still alive, John clears the board over the next couple of turns.

Well, it's a familiar story for me. Melee army gets shot up on the way in by shooting army, return fire ineffective, close combat with the survivors ineffective, followed by tabling. I think I managed to score a respectable number of victory points in this once, which was quite nice, but so far I'm finding that with my Orks and Nids they just aren't tough or fast enough to reach the enemy with enough models to be a real threat. In addition, Nipper still looks overcosted in this edition, which is a shame because he's so pretty. It's funny, I've been watching some Tabletop Tactics battle reports recently from early in 8th edition, and they keep saying how Orks and Nids look competitive now. Gave me a little giggle.

Hopefully codexes/points changes will give the boyz the boost they need, but I think even with cheaper or tougher combat elements some reliable fire support is essential. The Kannons were nice but the Squiggoth guns were a big disappointment. Tankbustas still good but hideously vulnerable outside of a transport, so not a cheap option. (At least, not yet...)

Ah, another Redtoof report!

John prepared a 'not that nasty' list, containing 2 lords on steeds, 2 squads of noise marines, 2 squads of cultists, 2 contemptors, a big blob of spawn, a Leviathan loaded up with butcher cannons and a helforged whirlwind scorpius.

That sounds... pretty nasty still. Scorpius hurt, haha!

Sorry to hear about the squiggoth. Those behemoths suffer from a schizophrenic design (kind of like the defiler) where it wants to move up the field and is capable of good damage in close quarters, but is severely punished for moving and doing so renders it largely incapable of doing anything. C'est la vie.