FW units, winners and losers

m0nolith

I thought Id create a thread discussing the differences between FW units now in 8th vs their 7th ed counterparts. 

Which ones won out and why, and which ones are worse than they used to be.

When it comes to SM IMO;

Winners;

Achilles: nearly the wounds of a Spartan, not to mention the 4++ save it has now, its a tough one to take down.

Falchion: Although the LoW relic rule is a pain, the fact that this gun is so brutal now also might make up for it.

Damocles Command Rhino: +1 Command Point every turn is not a bad thing at all. Also that Orbital Strike :blink.:

Xiphon: The Hull Point to wounds conversion ratio on this one is quite high, considering the fact it sat on only 2 HP before.

Losers;

Spartan: Being made a Relic tank and being moved to a LoW slot and the fact that it dosent have a Invulnerable save make this a hard one to recommend. At least in 7th it could take Armoured Ceramite to help with melta :dry.:. Here its as fragile as any other LR.

Fellblade: As powerful as it is, the number of wounds to HP conversion seems very low when you look at the fact it used to have 12 whole Hull Points in 7th.

Lucius DDP: Just a drop pod now, no extra rules.

Edited by m0nolith

Man, the Land Speeder Tempest is a mixed bag for me.  150 points.  Although it has 2x salvo launcher, it's a wee bit better than the Assault Cannon.  I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I do not think a random amount of shots was one of them.  It's 1 inch slower than a standard LS but has T6 and explodes 6 inch radius.  Ramjet Thrusters gives it a HUGE envelope and adds -1 to-hit against if when used (which makes sense).

I think this was a sensible adjustment from FW, but I'm not convinced (on paper) it was a "better" alternative to other FA options.

If I was forced to pick a side, then the Ramjet Thrusters and T6 makes it a winner I suppose.

I wouldn't call the lucius pod a loser exactly. Yes, it lost the rule of keeping the doors shut, but you don't need that anymore because you can charge right away. Additionally look at the transport capacity, the vehicle just needs the dreadnought keyword, no other restrictions. That means it can carry a leviathan and other oversized dreads. I'm pretty sure that wasn't possible previously.

Agreed with Quixus for sure. Dropped a lucius with an Axe Dread into the back line of advancing tyranids and it was awesome. Charge sniped a tyranid prime, stopped the advance of his center, and scored LB with the pod in the end.

10/10, would drop again.

I wouldn't call the lucius pod a loser exactly. Yes, it lost the rule of keeping the doors shut, but you don't need that anymore because you can charge right away. Additionally look at the transport capacity, the vehicle just needs the dreadnought keyword, no other restrictions. That means it can carry a leviathan and other oversized dreads. I'm pretty sure that wasn't possible previously.
You could always carry a Levithan, and many did.

The ability to stay in the pod, the ability to have the pod take shots first, the fact that it had a 5++ on the turn it came in on, the fact it couldn't get charged on the turn it came in on, the fact that now it has to deploy 9 inches away, no, the Lucius got nerfed.

Good luck making that 9 inch charge, odds are you're not going to make it.

To be fair, compared to the GW version, the Lucius may have been too good.  So, when GW wants to restrict the Drop Pods capability (related to the previous edition), FW may have agreed to match such restrictions while keeping their product active.

Frankly, I'm not surprised with what it can do now.  It's still in the loser column because of the changes, but it gets closer to the line because all of us are still able to DP a Dread, which is a win.

double stormcannon on the leviathan is nuts. 20 -2 rend shots at 2 damage per hit is bound to give some good results even for those who suck at rolling dice. another candidate that i would like to put forward for a winner is the storm eagle roc pattern gunship. good transport capacity, powerful weapons, POTMS and costs in the same region of points as the stormraven. unfortunately it cannot carry dreads or put out as many shots as the stormaven but the roc is better against tanks and monstrous creatures and also has two more wounds. 

Hi all, can I take a Chaplain Dreadnought with Ultras? What is its cost and what weapons can it take, ie a rifleman? Any body know what the rules are for 8th edition?

Korvydae for the RG is missing as well, yet the model can still be sold. There may be other examples. A dude in the RG forum received an email from FW declaring they were looking into the oversight (paraphrased).

Rapier Quad Mortar is completely gone from 40k and i bought 3 just a year ago for my Dark Angels . So yes im quite pissed.

Use them as Thunderfire Cannon instead. That's what I will do until they receive 40k rules again.

Korvydae for the RG is missing as well, yet the model can still be sold. There may be other examples. A dude in the RG forum received an email from FW declaring they were looking into the oversight (paraphrased).

I feel like Korvydae is basically in OOP status, except you can actually still buy him. He hasn't received any support since 5E. He wasn't even updated for 6E like everyone else, so his exclusion doesn't surprise me.

It sucks, but with the Raven Guard's organizational shuffling due to Severax's untimely demise and the fact that Korvydae wouldn't even be able to make jump infantry troops anymore, it's not the hugest deal. He would probably be exactly the same as a standard jump pack Thunder Hammer Captain, maybe with a 5-10 point discount or something.

I feel like Korvydae is basically in OOP status, except you can actually still buy him. He hasn't received any support since 5E. He wasn't even updated for 6E like everyone else, so his exclusion doesn't surprise me.

It sucks, but with the Raven Guard's organizational shuffling due to Severax's untimely demise and the fact that Korvydae wouldn't even be able to make jump infantry troops anymore, it's not the hugest deal. He would probably be exactly the same as a standard jump pack Thunder Hammer Captain, maybe with a 5-10 point discount or something.

They're not going to stop selling him because it's such a great model, but my guess he doesn't sell well enough to warrant rules. Edited by m0nolith

Eldar titans have lost out. If you go second there's a good chance they'll take a hammering (you needed to move for their Shields to work...)

Combine this with Macro weaponry and something like a laser blaster with instagib them.

Tau Ax-1 (I think... Whatever their Titan Hunter flyer). Macro gun, on a flyer with minimum movement value, and no titanic rule.

So it's main gun can't fire. Hahahahahahahaha.