Thousand Sons vs. Dark Angels 8th Ed Video Batrep

Archaeinox

Nice, travelling home today from vacation and will check it out tonight. I subscribe to Geek Out Studios after a similar batrep a few months ago. Arch do you go by Phosis on you tune? If so we have exchanged friendly comments there. Small world.

I strongly recommend still image battle reps.  Like, take a bunch of pictures throughout the battle, and take detailed notes of what happens during the game.  Use your notes & photos to write a scripted narrative of the game - focus on being clear & concise, ideally a viewer should be able to follow the game clearly from the scripted audio alone.  Record the audio of your script, and use some simple video editing software to put that together with the still images - including full army lists written out at the start of the video, and a summary of the results at the end.

For an example, look for the old Warhammer Fantasy battle reports by "Lord Tremendous" from back before he quit warhammer over the whole Age of Sigmar thing.  He did video battle reports the best, I've never seen anybody do them half so good.  I think he's still doing videos for 9th Age, though I'm not much for that game and haven't kept track.

It's more work putting the video together, and slows the game a bit more while playing it, but the result is infinitely more legible, more watchable, more engaging, less headache inducing, etc.  I mostly don't/can't watch video battle reports on youtube because almost nobody does it this way.  All the shakey cam hurts my head and and libbed mid-game narration tends to be slow, lacking precision, and result in videos that are just way, waaay too long.  Battle report videos should, imo, aim to be about 30 minutes or less in length.

Even if you never played oldhammer, seriously, watch Tremendous's videos, and try to emulate them.  Even if your results aren't as polished as his, you'll still very quickly be making the best and most watchable 40k battle reports on youtube because nobody does it this way, and the way everybody else does it is bad and terrible.

There is nothing to recommend. Some people prefer full length video batreps, some turn recap video batreps, some written batreps, some narrative batreps. The only recommendation one can give is to do the kind of batreps one is most comfortable with.

The rest is all about the quality of that specific kind of batrep.

I for one prefer full length video batreps and written batreps with plenty pictures. :P

Finally got a chance to watch this morning. I got past the shaky cam and really enjoyed this.

Wow you did a good job of systematically shutting down threats and consolidating your force at the end.

Your SOTs seemed the MVPs wiping out a good part of the enemy. You played them exactly how they should be, utilize shooting and cc for clean up. Glad to see this from SOTs.

Strong psychic phase also with very perils action.

Was the lone tzangoor on an objective? If so he should get honorable mention. That deathwing champ was sure dug in for a while making the deathwing coming in for support scary though you knicked him fight in time.

Flamers doing some work!

Overall really enjoyed it, thanks for sharing.

Beautiful models and terrain make it a pleasure to watch!

From a production standpoint.

Steadier cam (obviously ☺)

Less camera time watching dice rolls, more time on your models.

Edit out dice rolling and just show us models being removed, moving, attacking etc...

That may mean more explanation narrative as well on cues as models are removed. (ex. "Librarian lost his last wound to shooting and the tactical squad lost 4 to inferno bolts".

I have never done a video batrep and expect it is lot of work so its easy for me to say this, please don't take the wrong way as I really enjoyed it.

I really enjoyed it. I think recording these things is time consuming and awkward at the best of times. I'm sure in time they will clean up a bit on their own. 

That poor D.A. player..... lol. He put his Primaris out front...but I am glad to see he brought a Libby. I think they're essential for match ups like this if even just for the defensive measures. 

He did seem very shaky on rules though. I believe a few times he'd roll 2 D6 for moral, then kill '1' of his own guys as a result. (did he ever use TSKNF?) His understanding of retreating from combat (with non-fly) units seemed to get him a few times.

The Tzaangors... how can you not like these guys? 70 points and they're going toe to toe with marines. I keep saying they are the hidden gem of the army and when the 'real' codex comes out they should get Terminator armour and let them loose!!! lol

I think the DA dude is going to give you a better run with some more games under his belt. Their Termies are still very legit too. Looking forward to the rematch. :)

Nice bat rep, beautiful armies!

Couldn't really enjoy it though as the DA player obviously has no experience with 8th edition and his list was quite weak...