Deathworld Tyranids

Schlitzaf

No biovore, zoanthropes, tyrant guard, toxicrene, or swarmlord, as these all came into existence after eating the species from the 40k galaxy.

That 3rd ed fluff concept about biovores, Zoanthropes and Tyrant Guard can be pretty easily discounted and was tied to design features present only in long out of production models.

The Swarmlord is a Hive Tyrant, an immortal division of the Hive Mind that can be incarnated by any Hive fleet at any time. It doesn't care about DNA from any individual galaxy.

I didn't get that White Dwarf so have no ideas about Toxicrenes.

No biovore, zoanthropes, tyrant guard, toxicrene, or swarmlord, as these all came into existence after eating the species from the 40k galaxy.

That 3rd ed fluff concept about biovores, Zoanthropes and Tyrant Guard can be pretty easily discounted and was tied to design features present only in long out of production models.

OOP models? Look at the current range:

Biovore: long arms, short legs, underbite, ranged weapon suited to keep enemies at range

Zoanthrope: pointy head, smug grin, psychic.

Tyrant guard: I'll give you that, they never did a good job of showing the fused rib cage on the models. 

I think the index xenos states toxicrenes are a relatively new addition to the hive fleets - but seem more an adaptation than an evolution based on consumed DNA.

Never really understood the idea that the ranged artillery unit would use Ork DNA of all things.

You could use whatever units you want it you convert them anyway. A deathworld army would have evolved on their own into terrors like the catachan devil. (I think would make a good Trygon perhaps?)

Never really understood the idea that the ranged artillery unit would use Ork DNA of all things.

I think the idea was that they used the DNA and found the weaknesses - when they bred a new strain to exploit the weakness of a species, it took on some characteristics of that species. Kind of like how Kroot literally are what they eat. 

Death world stuff would generally have been seeded before imperial colonisation, so resistance would have been low, I'd expect close combat strains would be more abundant, not having to deal with ranged warfare.

Screamer killers, hormagaunts, shrikes, gargoyles, terms, etc.

OOP models? Look at the current range:

Biovore: long arms, short legs, underbite, ranged weapon suited to keep enemies at range

Zoanthrope: pointy head, smug grin, psychic.

Tyrant guard: I'll give you that, they never did a good job of showing the fused rib cage on the models. 

I think the index xenos states toxicrenes are a relatively new addition to the hive fleets - but seem more an adaptation than an evolution based on consumed DNA.

I remember the 3rd ed Biovore looking way orkier but to be honest after checking its just that it has a happier grin so I see your point.

Zoanthropes look like Eldar helmets, that never made any sense 'DNA' wise. The 4th and 6th edition ones definitely did backtrack from the outright Farseer look on the 3rd ed one. Strangely I feel that the Zoanthrope is the one 3rd ed design that actually holds up against the newer one. The bulky spines on the 4th and 6th ed ones work so much better on Venomthropes and the 3rd ed one has this great embryo inspired appearance that the added bulk on the latter iterations destroyed.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

Zoanthropes look like Eldar helmets, that never made any sense 'DNA' wise. The 4th and 6th edition ones definitely did backtrack from the outright Farseer look on the 3rd ed one. Strangely I feel that the Zoanthrope is the one 3rd ed design that actually holds up against the newer one. The bulky spines on the 4th and 6th ed ones work so much better on Venomthropes and the 3rd ed one has this great embryo inspired appearance that the added bulk on the latter iterations destroyed.

I agree with that, I love my 3rd ed Zoeys, the newer ones don't have the same charm.

So synapseless Tyranids is the way to go? Now then for full disclosure. The list intention is that the Feral "Tyranids" were coopted by a radical Xenos Inquistor (using either Stealer Cult HQ or Company Command (yes I realize for Company Commander I need a Stealer Cult anyways). And she is using her powers (enhanced in some manner) to act and take control of the Death World's Proto-Tyranids. And the specific Death World is gonna be Phyrr (from Dark Heresy). I also intend to look through the old Amphelion Project for further inspiration.

With that all in mind, any further ideas or restrictions I can follow?

Edited by Schlitzaf