Primaris Captain and Librarian in DW now [Reivers too]

Irbis

Deep strike is not that great considering they only have 6" move unless there is good cover within 9". I'm assuming no one is going to drop them out in the open. Same deal with 6" range grenades. If they do manage to catch up without getting shot down, they will be good against hordes, but only hordes. This is because they likely won't get different weapon options as Primaris have been extremely limited, but I do agree they will get some form of deep strike.

They're comparable to Vanguards. +3 points for better pistol, +6" move, and fly, but -1W. Every other stat is the same; I'll ignore leadership since it's not a major issue with DW. Until Reivers get something that increases their mobility (transport or extra advance rules), they are mediocre.

Except we already know they do get other weapon options, and at least sarge should get option of different melee in multi-part box, seeing even scouts do get one.

That 1W is actually crucial - they get 10 wounds for 90 points. In pure DW list, that is by far cheapest option to increase durability of your army. And yeah, not in the open, but still, drop them out of LoS turn 1 and enemy actually has to devote a lot of firepower to kill them, reposition, or face pretty annoying unit picking off something at the rear. Seeing DW actually want target saturation and something moving pressure off kill teams, I can already see Reivers being pretty useful.

If they can fit in a transport of some sort and take power weapons, I would definitely take them over melee Veterans or Vanguards. I'm a part of the tin foil community that believes GW purposely made Primaris only OK for now so they can curb the outrage and slowly make them OP to replace old SM, so that's entirely possible.

Right now, based on what is confirmed, they best serve as a support unit that won't be a game changer.

Except A ) DW models are head taller than other marines, so in out case it's non-issue compared to regular SM, and B ) giving SM unit that actually lets them perform role they are supposed to perform in the first place (surgical strikes), doubly so in case of DW seeing they double down on the surgical kill team thing in fluff, is bad lore now? :biggrin.:

Don't mind me, I'll be in corner enjoying my perfectly fluffy power armoured scouts that actually can do something against hordes, perfect both fluff and crunch addition to SM/DW :rolleyes:

Well, I like to mix and match my Imperial forces so if I added Primaris to my Deathwatch, they'd soon enough be standing shoulder to shoulder with regular Astartes and Guardsmen. The scale is just too off for me to find that tolerable.

And lore-wise, it's not the inclusion in the DW that I dislike, it's the Primaris lore in general. The whole "And then, right at the most desperate hour, The Once and Future King returns! And he brings with him 100,000 Marines that were totally in development for ten millenia, but just no one knew about them! Oh, and they're bigger than your marines! And stronger! Yay!"

It's just such a hamfisted plot development that I can't bring myself to use the models. Same as I'll never use Centurions. They're just lame.

From what I've seen of the Reiver Datasheet, they have the Primaris keyword and so will not fit in Rhinos/Razorbacks/Land Raiders/Corvus Blackstar since those explicitly say they cannot carry Primaris models, FTR.

Really not a fan of the half masks. They look like Duke Nukem rejects. Hopefully they have full helmet with skull masks for all. If we do, I would take a unit of them to replace a Vanguard unit.

Since it seems quite literally every SM unit is getting replaced a Primaris version, I wonder what type of vehicle-riding infantry unit the Primaris will get later.

Grappling hooks! They never have to charge ever again! Instead, if you successfully hit within the 6 inch range, you pull the targeted model toward your reviers! Any units out of coherency are instantly destroyed. BOOM.

lol i totally made that up, nobody freak out..

Curious about the centurions 2.0 though. Heavy bolters? Autocannons maybe? Looks like the spawn of a cataphractii termie and then centurion.

Reivers look really good to me. The idea of being a specialized terror, shock type unit seems very fitting to me. The price per wound is also attractive. If they can get in deep and nerf long range shooting while harassing a different unit in close combat, then I feel like that would help a major issue I have with Deathwatch right now.

Hopefully they have full helmet with skull masks for all.

I hope so too, but GW really sold me on them after I saw unit in black:

RGChapterFocusImage1.jpg

This not only looks perfect for DW, I no longer mind masks, even. Pick some subdued, dark metal colour for left arm and they will be perfect :biggrin.:

Indeed, the only problem with this spoiler is that it makes RG 10x better than DW in general, especially since SIA won't apply to the Reivers' heavy bolt pistols, unless GW erratas it.

Eh, dunno if I agree about that. Their bonus works 12 inches away or more, so essentially Reivers never get it. Salamanders, though, or Ultramarines do have a tactics that would be excellent with DW and primaris units, if Grey Knights got Codex so soon (mostly thanks to no new models, which should also apply to DW seeing line is brand new) maybe DW will get one with tactics too...?

Yea universal reroll on 1's to wound, would probably be way to good for Deathwatch. Also very unusual to get re-rolls on wounds (instead of hits), so would be even more bananas seeing as we can mix it with our Watch Masters :tongue.: 

(But that should be discussed in another thread I think ;D )

Edited by Nurgleprobe

So, maybe they will be fine even without those Transports? :wink: 

Grapnel Launcher: When models with grapnel launchers move do not count any vertical distance they move against the total they can move that turn. In addition, during deployment you can set up this unit if it is equipped with grapnel launchers behing enemy lines instead of placing it on the battlefield. At the the end of your movement phase this unit can join the battle. Set it up within 6" of a battlefield edge of your choice and more than 9" away from any enemy models. 

Edited by Nurgleprobe

We all assumed they'd get some form of deep strike, but this is just an even more restrictive form of deep strike. Makes the issues with movement and grenade range even worse.

So they'd be ok as a distraction, but they still need a transport to maximize their potential (overwatch denial). Their bolt pistols won't be a massive threat to anything, so hopefully they can take different loadouts.

This brings up some interesting questions...

I assume that the Primaris Captain & Librarian will be getting more options in the Space Marine codex...will DW have access to that equipment as well?  Or will we be stuck with what was explicitly stated in the datasheets released on-line as a "get you by" set of rules?  Same with the Reivers?  And on that same note, will we get access to the rest of the new Primaris units, or will we be stuck with those 3?

The latest rule-set always replaces the oldest one. So when it says we can use a unit, we will use the latest official printing of that unit. So whatever it says in the SM codex. Interesting tho: I don't think we will use the equipment points there for our units? Becuase it was stated that as long as you don't have a codex for your army you use the points that are in your index, but.. alot of our points are connected to the Space Marine index. Guess they will just have to clarify if we use that or any new (if any) points the SM codex have.

CONFIRMED: https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads/K3ns3JDOGE2asjf/Primaris-week-3/239fhfght_ENG_Primaris_Marines_Release_03_July_22nd.pdf

So it looks like Deathwatch gets access to all the new Primaris stuff (not sure how Special Issue Ammo interacts with all the new  bolt weapons...my guess is not at all).

Still though, this is good news...and bodes well for the Repulsor :)

Guess i have to get me one of those Primaris Dreadnought, cause daaaaamn that assault cannon looks good. And do I understand this right. DW can take the Primiris models aswell as any other chapter? that would be freaking awesome. Imagine a Primiris Dread in the DW colors....ohhh my lord!!!! even the Aggressors

Edited by Jegind

Oh dude...you are absolutely right! I thought he was death company or something at first by that is definitely an I on his forehead and a silver shoulder pad on the left. Good catch!

I wonder how much the redemptor is going to cost. 20 pts per Reiver makes me a bit more hesitant, but will have to see how they perform. I kind of wish they'd let us go Carbine + knife though. I prefer the carbine over the pistol for the extra range and dakka.