++// AUGUST ARENA 2017 - EVENT THREAD \\++

I, Brother Argent, accept the challenge set to me by Grotsmasha, and step into the Arena, where we shall build, paint and base a Character on Foot. I shall bring forth either a small scale daemon prince or a Primaris Captain in Indomnitus armour before the deadline of August 31st, 2017. If they complete their challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02.

Welcome Andrew Christlieb and Dosjetka (what's up with everyone having ranks in their names all of a sudden?:huh:)!! 

Guys if you haven't found a challenge-partner yet, I suggest just going out, and PMing a frater that inspires you. Bring the challenge to them!

@ BCK: I mean this with O-legs. But it doens't matter, because I saw pics in your thread that showed me you already fixed it :tu:

@ Andrew Christlieb: Not sure what you mean there, as the rules are quite clear, no? If you found a mistake, please show me where, so I can fix it - as I don't see it! :tu:

Read the dates for Phase 2, it reads August 1st to July 31st, instead of August 1st to August 31st ;)

So it begins.

I, Brother Kortmer, challenge the unworthy Tangamarine to step into the Arena with me, where we shall both build, paint, and base a unit of infantry. I shall bring forth a 250-points Heralds of Ruin Kill Team of the Holy Inquisition, with paladins of the Red Hunters, before the deadline of August 31st, 2017. If they accept and complete the challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they accept and fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02.

Pictures of the partly half-built squad, as discussed via PM, to follow in the next couple of days.

I, Tangamarine, accept the challenge set to me by Brother Kortmer, and step into the Arena, where we shall build, paint and base a general infantry unit. I shall bring forth an ordo xenos kill team before the deadline of August 31st, 2017. If they complete their challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02. Edited by Tangamarine

And here he is, held together with blu-tack.

http://i.imgur.com/7Oe7scO.jpg

Experimenting by using a Hail Caesar head on him. Will probably replace the lightning claw arm with Geigor Fellhand's one, if I can find the damned thing.

Looks like an excellent and characterful start! What backpack will you put on him? Interesting aggressive pose too, with Geigor Fell-Hand's arm, it'll certainly alter the model's silhouette a little with the arm swinging inwards.

With the bolter arm, have you thought about adding a scope on the top to add some ornateness or maybe cutting the hand and twisting it slightly to add to the dynamic pose of charging movement?

Excellent start all in all Ashenwhyte! I got myself a challenge indeed against you. Now I beed to get to work on mine, need to find my sprues, which are scattered in the flat I will soon be moving in. :lol:

Cambrius

Thanks, Cambrius! 

I have, however, decided to go for a different approach to the model, with a more calm and stately pose rather than the dynamic pose with Geigor Fellhand's legs. Which model do you prefer?

Before assembly: 

http://i.imgur.com/V5VLe4Y.jpg

And mockup: 

http://i.imgur.com/xVuQoEH.jpg

I look forward to seeing your model. :) 

Cheers. 

I, MindOfMetal, challenge Warsmith Uveron to step into the Arena with me, where we shall both build, paint, and base an infantry unit (minimum size 5). I shall bring forth a Legio Custodes Hetaeron Guard Squad  before the deadline of August 31st, 2017. If they accept and complete the challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they accept and fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02

Thanks, Cambrius!

I have, however, decided to go for a different approach to the model, with a more calm and stately pose rather than the dynamic pose with Geigor Fellhand's legs. Which model do you prefer?

*snip!*

I look forward to seeing your model. :smile.:

Cheers.

Not bad at all, a much more commanding pose with the static legs and inclusion of the axe (which is an ideal weapon for a Son of Horus to my knowledge).

One thing to maybe adjust on the pose is the head's direction. If you turned it to look in the direction his claw is pointing, it would look as if he is challenging an enemy combatant to a duel to prove his own worth and appease the Dark Gods/break the enemy's morale. The claw's the perfect shape for it.

And it's about time I made my pledge properly:

I, Brother Cambrius, accept the challenge set to me by Ashenwhyte, and step into the Arena, where we shall build, paint and base a Character on Foot. I shall bring forth an Adeptus Astartes Captain of the Vanquishers' 4th 'Resilient' Company before the deadline of August 31st, 2017. If they complete their challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02.

And here are the bitz used to make Captain Elias Draeg, Master of the Fleet:

med_gallery_26154_4148_222488.jpg

med_gallery_26154_4148_20165.jpg med_gallery_26154_4148_29581.jpg

med_gallery_26154_4148_9025.jpg

Bonus points for anyone who recognises where the helmet and left arm come from.

He's now been base sprayed and I will deal with adding the base paints to him in the coming days/weeks. :smile.:

Cambrius

Edited by Brother Cambrius

He looks fantastic! The helmet and left arm are from the 25th anniversary miniature that resembles the original Rogue Trader box art. :) Banner is from Pedro Kantor. Where's the shoulder guard bit on the assembled mini?

I, KBA, challenge Soldier of Dorn to step into the Arena with me, where we shall both build, paint, and base a Unit of Infantry. I shall bring forth a unit of Omega Hound Intercessors before the deadline of July 31st, 2017. If they accept and complete the challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they accept and fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02.

He looks fantastic! The helmet and left arm are from the 25th anniversary miniature that resembles the original Rogue Trader box art. :smile.: Banner is from Pedro Kantor. Where's the shoulder guard bit on the assembled mini?

Yep all correct! The shoulder guard is just a basic metal moulded Fist one I got ages ago. Didn't fit on its original model so it was removed and has been gathering dust in the bitz box with the 25th Anniversary arm and helmet. Now I realised looking at him base sprayed, that I gotta pull him apart at the waist to paint the cloak of office effectively and the back of the legs. Oops. :wacko.:

Wouldn't be a challenge if it were easy, though. Dorn approves. ;)

Cambrius

I, KBA, challenge Soldier of Dorn to step into the Arena with me, where we shall both build, paint, and base a Unit of Infantry. I shall bring forth a unit of Omega Hound Intercessors before the deadline of July 31st, 2017. If they accept and complete the challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they accept and fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02.

I, Soldier of Dorn, accept the challenge set to me by KBA, and step into the Arena, where we shall both build, paint and base a Unit of Infantry. I shall bring forth a unit of Raptors Intercessors before the deadline of July 31st, 2017. If we complete our challenges, eternal glory will be ours. But if we fail, we shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02.

I think I would like to take part in this, however despite having been here for a long time I don’t feel like I know any Frater well enough to challenge him or her as my forum attendance is variable.

As I am currently taking part in A tale of Hobbyists I am also somewhat time limited in hobby time but I expect that a side project would be nice so as to add some variance in what I am working on.

Earlier this year I found my old 2nd edition Necrons and decided that they could do with a better paint job then they had. I started to strip them (need to buy more acetone first though) and doing up test model/unit would be ideal.

If anybody would like to challenge me to a similar restoration of old models project that would be great.

Edited by Trokair

I think I would like to take part in this, however despite having been here for a long time I don’t feel like I know any Frater well enough to challenge him or her as my forum attendance is variable.

As I am currently taking part in A tale of Hobbyists I am also somewhat time limited in hobby time but I expect that a side project would be nice so as to add some variance in what I am working on.

Earlier this year I found my old 2nd edition Necrons and decided that they could do with a better paint job then they had. I started to strip them (need to buy more acetone first though) and doing up test model/unit would be ideal.

If anybody would like to challenge me to a similar restoration of old models project that would be great.

Damnit this would have been ideal for me to resurrect Operation Reclamation. I recently received a box of my friends' old chapter of marines that deserve to be repaired, painted and reclaimed to glories anew.

Cambrius

I, Brother Argent, accept the challenge set to me by Grotsmasha, and step into the Arena, where we shall build, paint and base a Character on Foot. I shall bring forth either a small scale daemon prince or a Primaris Captain in Indomnitus armour before the deadline of August 31st, 2017. If they complete their challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02.

Woop Woop !!!!

Here is a my starting pic....

gallery_48988_6285_3185.jpg

I sent you a PM.

med_gallery_26154_4148_20165.jpg med_gallery_26154_4148_29581.jpg

med_gallery_26154_4148_9025.jpg

Bonus points for anyone who recognises where the helmet and left arm come from.

He's now been base sprayed and I will deal with adding the base paints to him in the coming days/weeks. :smile.:

Cambrius

Very nice! He certainly looks the part of a Master of the Fleet and he'll look great with some paint on him.

I , the One and Only Rednekkboss, challenge the equally unique Sagentus to step into the Arena with me, where we shall both build, paint, and base a Character model/champion. I shall bring forth a Sorceror of Chaos before the deadline of August 31st, 2017. If they accept and complete the challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they accept and fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02.

I accept your challenge ;) 

I , the One and Only Rednekkboss, challenge the equally unique Sagentus to step into the Arena with me, where we shall both build, paint, and base a Character model/champion. I shall bring forth a Sorceror of Chaos before the deadline of August 31st, 2017. If they accept and complete the challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they accept and fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02.

I accept your challenge :wink:

EXcellent!  I'll throw a photo on here. But if anyone wants to follow my full work in progress, it'll be here -->   http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/253344-the-templars-of-dooooom-august-arena-challenge/  

..... as well as my hobby blog.  I'm actually playing the game later today, so I'll get started later tonight. :)  Looking forward to seeing what you come up with Sagentus!

Here's my Ordo Malleus Inquisition and GK (actually Red Hunters, count-as GK, but whatever). Inquisitor and two veteran acolytes almost built, two Blu-Tacked GK in the background, the third's still on sprue - in picture.

gallery_80057_10843_978023.jpg

The Inquisitor is magnetized on the base for easier transportation, daemon hammer arm magnetized as well. Backpack and head are still to be glued on, at the moment they're just Blu-Tacked. I'm feeling a bit unsure about his head. I don't seem to find an angle or orientation that 'feels right'? I'm wondering if that's telling me I should use a different head? - Thoughts?