++// AUGUST ARENA 2017 - EVENT THREAD \\++

Just realised this was happening, anyone still looking for a challenge?

I'll be painting Black Templars, so you can pick pretty much anything from the codex, infantry, HQ, Dreadnought, bikes.

P.S - I know I'm a last minute participant, but if there's anyone around like me let me know.

POINT OF ORDER - Slight Event Rules Adjustment

A friendly PM from a friendly frater reminded me that some units have a smaller minimum unit size than five - Bloodcrushers, Centurion squads, etc. For that reason, I'm altering the Unit Size restriction for the Unit of Infantry Event Category to "legal minimum size". :thumbsup:

This disqualifies my entry.... And I don't think I have time to put together 5 more iron warriors bloodletters to the standard of the first 5 right now.

POINT OF ORDER - Slight Event Rules Adjustment

A friendly PM from a friendly frater reminded me that some units have a smaller minimum unit size than five - Bloodcrushers, Centurion squads, etc. For that reason, I'm altering the Unit Size restriction for the Unit of Infantry Event Category to "legal minimum size". :thumbsup:

This disqualifies my entry.... And I don't think I have time to put together 5 more iron warriors bloodletters to the standard of the first 5 right now.

I am sure that since you have already submitted your entry, you should be fine and not have to worry about it. :)

Cambrius

Just realised this was happening, anyone still looking for a challenge?

I'll be painting Black Templars, so you can pick pretty much anything from the codex, infantry, HQ, Dreadnought, bikes.

P.S - I know I'm a last minute participant, but if there's anyone around like me let me know.

If I read the rules right, the deadline is any minute, so I'll challenge you - you are free to decline of course, if you have a better offer.

I, LameBeard, challenge Drac0 to step into the Arena with me, where we shall both build, paint, and base a character on foot. I shall bring forth a HH Legion Astartes Centurion/Consul before the deadline of August 31st, 2017. If they accept and complete the challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they accept and fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02.

Edited by LameBeard

Hey guys!

@ GreyRavenC: that model is really nice cant wait to see it painted!

So here are some guns i try to put on my lizard:
http://i.imgur.com/KGK2cRj.jpg?1

Let me know what you guys think.

I hope the admins still accept my reply, as the challenge was issued in time, so here it goes:

I, Drac0, accept the challenge set to me by  LameBeard, and step into the Arena, where we shall build, paint and base a HQ character. I shall bring forth a Black Templar Chaplain  before the deadline of August 31st, 2017. If they complete their challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02.

Hey guys!

@ GreyRavenC: that model is really nice cant wait to see it painted!

So here are some guns i try to put on my lizard:

Hidden Content

http://i.imgur.com/KGK2cRj.jpg?1

Let me know what you guys think.

Guns look good, but the neck looks two thin with them on, I would add some armor up the neck and back of the lizard.

@ BubblesMcBub: I hope that dino has some harcore earprotection, he'll be deaf from the first shots! I'll echo Teetengee, the neck could use some more bulk.

@ Glowshark: Can you shorten than quote a bit, mate?

Edited by GreyRavenC

Now this should be quite something! Really looking forwards to seeing the model take shape! As for my two cents on your questions...

• I love transverse style crests but cannot shake the feeling that it would be kinda pointless in this case, when this particular head has such a meticulously formed crest. I'd either leave it as it is or switch in a different head.
  • I'd keep the round shield, both because it looked excellent on the first version and because it's something we don't see nearly enough of in XIII legion armies :smile.:
  • I got nothing on the magnetising question: It would probably make lots of sense from a flexibility perspective, although I will say that, speaking from a purely visual perspective, characters informed by their narrative usually profit from being envisioned with one particular equipment option. The gladius seems closer to the feeling you are trying to evoke.
  • I rather like the Ivanus Enkomi cape and backpack, but I'd also love to see you mockup that tattered cloak, so yeah...

That guy at the bottom is from Ryse: Son of Rome, isn't he?

Hope this helps! :smile.:

Just to say, that was really useful feedback to hear, so thanks a bunch Kraut. Taken on board for the next time I get to sit down and work on this guy (hopefully tonight).

UPDATED TO THIS POINT

Welcome to last minute participants Drac0 and LameBeard!

@ Teetengee: that's a good point! I altered it again to say "minimum unit size of 5, unless the minimum unit size determined by Codex/Index is less than 5, in which case the codex minimum applies" 

Finished my dude, looking not alike as his official counterpart. I can't deny that the look of GW's Enginseer is badass, but I never liked the look of those servoharnesses. And this guy is going to be used with my force of Guardmen in Shadow War, so I can't embarrass my forces with a 'mechanic' that is better armoured than them. His ragtag appearance fits right in with my sniperteam, who walk around in tattered cloaks as well. They favor these kind of clothing so they can blend in better with the general population of hive. If things go sour, they drop their gear and blend in with the crowd.

The camera washed some colour away, he looks better irl.

gallery_92826_13460_145728.jpg

Time to show him his rival, Varred! Pick up the pace! :biggrin.:

@ GreyRavenC: DUDE! That was fast! ALso, I like that guy very much!

@ BCK: Thanks for the slap in the face. I've taken a bit of a break, to allow my hobby juices to start flowing again. I'll begin working on his new head by the end of the week, while I wait for the bits order. :)

We've all been there, brother. I've had some very quiet panic attacks in my head whenever I think about what I've gotten myself into with such a huge sculpting project that also needs to be painted and based in a MONTH, but I keep soldiering on and making progress. 

Speaking of which - how's his back? 

TICK TOCK :wink:

But seriously - have you made any progress? The speed at which you did that frontal torso was amazing and made me go "awww, he's got this!"

Edited by WarriorFish
You should know better

I've been dealing with some life stuff involving a friend the last two days but I did get some work done on the shoulder and started constructing the axes. The back is going to be the last thing I do because I'd prefer not to attach the wings before painting and I'm having trouble figuring out how to do it.

KBA, nice 30k and Primairis mix. Is that a jawbone as a collar on the sergeant?

BubblesMcBub, I like the guns on the mount, but maybe they would work better underslung or over the head rather than at the sided.

GreyRavenC, that was fast. He looks really good.

In the meantime these Warriors crawled out of the vat this afternoon and a ready to be primed. I know there are a few small blotches of paint left on some but after multiple soakings, lots of scrubbing and picking at it they did not want to budge. they are mostly in the deep recesses and not covering any details so acceptable.

gallery_29932_13461_11587.jpg

Edit: helps if I actually add the picture.

Edited by Trokair

To show that I'm still working on this guy, the shoulders have been mostly finished, more work done to the eyes, the arms positioned and the axes are roughly constructed.

http://i.imgur.com/UZedFnt.png

Every pic I took from the right side showing the other axe came out blurry so I'll try again later.

A slight change in direction, Sagentus (and gang)  after my first 8th edition game, I find a need a plaguecaster more than a jump sorceror, so I cobbed this guy together from various kits.  I'll be doing some sculpting and still have to pick out a head and 40k him up.  Progress will be on my Templars of DOOooom thread.....  http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/253344-the-templars-of-dooooom-august-arena-challenge/

plaguecaster02.jpg

@ BCK: I hope your friend is ok. That being sais, your update looks like it's living up to expectations. Nicely proportioned, now. BTW I'm curious why you prefer the wings to be unattached when starting painting - when I did mine, they weren't in the way at all - for drybrushing or for airbrushing. 

@ rednekkboss: Nice start, buddy. What's that banner/bell bit he's carrying?