++// AUGUST ARENA 2017 - EVENT THREAD \\++

@ Traitor - really like these, look forward to seeing the backpacks on them. I wouldnt worry about the boltguns covering the gs, they look great and i bet once there painted you will be able to see more of your gs chest plates.

@ BCK - That BT is coming along nicely, the muscle definition is great!

@Brother Khordal - you now have the perfect position for that hammer, that figure looks epic!

@ Brother Kortmer: That looks MUCH better - he looks very stately now! Excelletn repose. :tu:

@ BCK: Nice armour and chainmail there, buddy. Looking extreely good. Are you going to bling up the armour with glass micro beads for rivets and such? That would look amazing! Regarding the arm muscles - I noticed that the deltoids look particularly large in the pictures, especially in relation to the biceps. Is that the angle of the picture or do you agree when looking at the sculpt, as it is? You said before you were going to build more muscle on top of the first layer, but I'd just thought I'd mention it! :tu: :)

Cheers for all the feedback guys! This thread is moving at a great pace and its fantastic to see some really great work come together from everyone!

@the Traitor: Game on :wink: . Have done as you suggested (shown below) and added a second pipe to each of their helmets, whilst also removing the front rails from their bolters! It makes for a serious improvement. I have to say your guys are looking fantastic, am loving the mix between the chaos warrior bitz and chaos space marine bitz. My only suggestion being could you add some piping/tubing to the guys, as it would really help to give them a more power armoured look, which would further differentiate them from their origins once the backpack is added.

@ Brother Kortmer: Your Inquisitor looks positively hard as nails, and the new pose for the hammer is excellent.

@ Brother Cambrius: Really liking the Captain so far, you have a nice looking purple and gold scheme so far!

@BCK: Woooooooooooah, that demon prince/bloodthirster is looking super ripped and badass, particularly liking the sculpted armour!

@mindofmetal: Thats a really promising start to the tattoo, am excited to see more!

Right not much progress on my part, but have added some more tubing to the helmets and do agree it looks much better, and have also primed the sergeant so I can set the colour scheme for these guys before painting the rest of the squad. 

http://i.imgur.com/PCjbboZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cXz3mAY.jpg

And here are the improved bolters, which will be glued on once the chests are done!

http://i.imgur.com/c5R4LOl.jpg

@Kordhal: glad you tried out adding a second tube, it looks great, and about removing the rails of the bolters, I don't know if it looks better, but it certainly looks practical (which is what Astartes were meant to be in the first place, so I guess practical is the way to go). 

Also thanks about your comments on my marines, I see what you mean about adding some cables, once you remove the huge shoulder pads it isn't that recognisable as a power armour, but where do you suggest adding them? They're pretty busy models already for infantry standards, and the magnets make imposible adding cables to the head which would be the most obvious place otherwise... maybe through the arms?

@The Traitor: am glad you like the modifications I made to the intercessors! Hmmm I see what you mean about the difficulty of adding cables, the arms could definitely work but maybe I just need to see them with the backpacks (as they are so iconic) and there won't be any need for extra cabling!

Keep up the great work :)

II

After Kraut's excellent feedback, I decided to keep a few things in line with the original model, and have a few things done differently as you'll see in a future update. For now, I reposed some Mk3 legs from the Prospero set (somewhat frustratingly, they barely look reposed at all - but in their original stance would never have fit the Asterion Moloc basing bits I'm using. Go figure)

I thought soft cabling between the knee and thigh plates would make most sense. At the hip it's smoother in real life than it appears in the picture.

http://i.imgur.com/3jvr51H.jpg

Edited by BrotherCaptainArkhan

Okay. Ive got a small update. Unfortunatelly the progress on my captain goes really slow. Only one layer of paint for today I am afraid. More tommorow i hope.

http://i.imgur.com/cZyGhxk.jpg

Cheers

Varred

@Mind of Metal: Wow that looks real good. I wish at this point I was painting something that was going to be half as good. I have realised now why these guys were stuck on my painting box for almost three years. They Primer I used filled in details, and a number of the parts for the models were second hand.. Currently I am trying to finish my 'Table top Standard' on them. If I can get that done in the next day or so I will be very happy.

Then I will break out the fine detail brush, maybe my sand paper and start to play the game of 'fixing' the models. The reason I want to get the models to tabletop standard first is so i can finish sporting the issues with them so I can go back and fix them one at a time..

This photo makes them look shockly bad... Going to get more sleep and try and fix them.

gallery_63905_13412_1236838.jpg

Some really good stuff coming on in here, its certainly hotting up! 

I'm in need of a bit of assistance with posses now I got 3 to chose from: 

1) 

2) 

3) Yes he's missing an arm, but itll be a lightning claw 

I will be changing out the LC for a warp talons one, as the one i currently have looks a bit to bulky. Also whats the thoughts on the spike? do i keep skulls or try and go for helmets? 

@Sagentus - all good poses. Slight preference for middle one.

@Drac0 - here's my Chaplain so far (assuming you permit a first photo partially started!).

WB Arena

As you can see, he's the kind of Astartes who's got in with the 'wrong crowd', you know the sort - hanging out on street corners, dropping litter, devouring unprotected souls etc.  There is still lots to decide upon:

Weapon: I have plastic heresy plasma pistol, and berserker plasma pistol available, but not totally sure of either.  Maybe volkite better for the smaller games I'm likely to play? The new Anvil Industry pistol could maybe even count as either?  Or could visit bits seller for a volkite serpenta.

Chest: turning the purity seal into an oath paper - do I add the other one for symmetry and to get the chain across the top?  Not sure how to replace Cassius's ultima and inquisition badges yet - will be fiddly.  You can't quite see in the photo but for the purity seal on the leg I shaved off the top and resculpted to look like a paper pinned on.  Not sure if that will work on the chest.

Left Arm: need to repair broken chain (hidden behind crozius).

@everyone else - you're all welcome to comment, but Drac0 (and m'lord b'Raass of course) will have final say!

Edited by LameBeard

@ Sagentus: That's pretty tough, actually, because they are all looking great! If pressed, I rather like number two, but number three might also be a winner, depending on which claw you end up using. But overall, it really looks like you cannot go wrong here. The trophy on the backpack works really well, too.

@ LameBeard: Excellent chaplain! I am getting such an Erebus vibe from him :)

@ lamebeard - cheers, no2 is looking like the one ill go for

@ kraut - no2 is looking like the best choice atm. Ill get the warp talons LCs out tonight and get pics with them. Hopefully should look better and give me more of an idea for the finished model. Once I've got the pose sussed I need to start the gs work lol 

@ lamebeard - cheers, no2 is looking like the one ill go for

@ kraut - no2 is looking like the best choice atm. Ill get the warp talons LCs out tonight and get pics with them. Hopefully should look better and give me more of an idea for the finished model. Once I've got the pose sussed I need to start the gs work lol 

I'm a fan of #2 as well.

Wow, everyone! This event is really getting on a roll! Well done everyone with the progress!

I started constructing the jaws of the head of my Nurgle DP, using the bear trap bit from a Ogre Kingdoms set, which I got from KrautScientist a couple weeks back. 

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Death%20Guard/temporary_zpsvnrbr11s.jpg

@ LameBeard: that's a cool start of the conversion. I'm for keeping the symmetry and adding the other purity seal. You could dremel the ultima symbol away, and maybe even cut off the inquisitrial =][= and replace with a blod of greenstuff to act as wax. As for the chain, you could also cut/dremel it away and replace it wit actual jewelers chain? I did a similar conversion recently, perhaps you can find inspiration there?

@Augustus b'Raass: Aaarrgghh! If I'd have known about your Chaplain I wouldn't have enterered mine to this event - it won't hold a candle to yours!

I was thinking of replacing the ultima and Inq symbol with the spiky elbow joints from berserker arms. Thought it might look brutal. But might look like Madonna's bra?

I know I should take the plunge and buy a dremel...

Don't worry about comparisons. Make your own and own it! :tu: Besides, you're not in a challenge with me! 

That berzerker spikes idea is a really good one. I don't think it'd look like Madonna's bra, as they would be quite a bit higher than nipples are on the chest. ;) Buying a dremel is always a good idea. And they're quite cheap, too, so no worries there. Check out eBay for them, I belive there's one for less than 15 squid.

III

So, I couldn't resist and tonight made some serious progress on this guy. Here's where we stand, for now.

http://i.imgur.com/qfuF37X.jpg

Following Kraut's advice, I thought long and hard about the crest, and decided that on every model I've ever seen with the Enkomi helm, it looks just like that - 'the Chaplain Enkomi helm'. Everyone sees it and immediately goes 'oh, that's the Minotaurs character'. I knew I had to do something to alter the helm's profile just to make it stand out. Plus, when the inspiration is this guy, a transverse crest really was in order.

Otherwise, I kept the same cloak as the former version of this Captain in the end, as well as the same torso. I love the torso for its sculpted Romanesque feel and the cloak just fits that torso really well in my opinion. I tried using a Mk3 backpack from the Suzerains kit, but found that visually it wasn't as pleasing as the MkIV pack. Also, with the wider cape, it gives the illusion of broader shoulders.

Finally, I went with the arm from the Herald / Captain Venatus kit as it was crying out to be used, plus a gladius from the new Ultramarines breacher set. It fits the source of inspiration very well I think and the 'IV' designation on the bracer adds a little extra. The last touch was to rework the join between shoulder and torso so that the entire arm is magnetised. The plan is to magnetise both arms and be able to switch between power gladius, thunder hammer, shield, Legion standard and maybe something else too.

That's the idea anyway. The overall pose so far is more subdued than the old model, but I wonder if it doesn't actually look better this way - more menacing and less heroic. This guy's not a hero and he is a leader only by necessity. I thought it fit that look, but I'd love to hear feedback either way.

@ Brother Captain Arkhan: Oh, that's very promising indeed! In hindsight, I applaud you for ignoring my naysaying and going for the transverse crest, after all ;)

Could we get a lower angle, so as to be better able to get an idea of the model's height and look "from the ground level", as it were? Right now my only gripe with him is that he seems to lack some of the bulk and oomph of the older version, but maybe that's just the angle of the photo?!

@Sagentus: The model is looking great, nice seeing the old Khorne Berserker head there too! I think a rebreather head could look nice as well.

@Augustus: Wow those teeth would look cool on the Nurgle DP! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

@BrotherCaptainArkhan: That captain is phenomenal, can't wait to see more!

Finally my week of hell is over and majority of my assignments for the semester have been completed! I managed to squeeze in some hobby time today to work a bit on my Wolf Lord:

http://i.imgur.com/omvXC2p.jpg

Finally my week of hell is over and majority of my assignments for the semester have been completed! I managed to squeeze in some hobby time today to work a bit on my Wolf Lord:

Now this is a good Start and now I know how to change mk3 for truscsle. Belief me or not...my approach for the torso would have Bern totally different and stupid^^