++// AUGUST ARENA 2017 - EVENT THREAD \\++

Fantastic work as usual guys, its really cool seeing all these projects progressing!

@Brother Kortmer: Cheers am glad you like the head swaps! The colour scheme for these guys can be seen below :smile.:

@the traitor: Not tubing is needed! The addition of the backpacks as BrotherCaptainArkhan said really make them look like traitor astartes, quick question what did you use for the backpacks, I presume a press mould?

Quick update on my end have finished my Intercessor Sergeant, (but not based him):

http://i.imgur.com/hpGMhE7.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VUo4Vas.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/z50dLhz.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZGfskwg.jpg

Will be doing the rest of the squad in the same colours, but any comments or suggestions will be welcomed! Also any ideas for the squad name? As the backstory I have for these guys are that the four wearing breacher helms are actually astartes who got the upgrade and thus are a bit grumpy and arrogant towards regular primaris. The sergeant of this squad is replaced every few years with newly promoted sergeants, to ensure they are suitable for leadership by leading four cantakerous old astartes, and then rotated back to their regular squad.

Edited by Kordhal

@BrotherCaptainArkhan: Thanks, they'll be painted in my usual Harvesters of Souls scheme, which is mostly black with some parts in white and minimal contrast points in bluish-green. All hail Malal!!!

@Kordhal: Thanks brother! Yes, I did press mould them from a converted backpack I did with four vents and two valve thingies. Seeing that most of the different marks of power armours vary in their backpack dessign, I though that it would be fitting for mine to do the same, so I plan to use this for all my 40k marines.

The squad sergeant is looking great, as I've said before, I like a lot your white and black scheme (wonder why would that be ;)). The only nitpick is the II on the backpack, it seems to be a bit lousy and, judging by your previous work or even the freehand on the shoulderpad, you can do much better. But everything else is great in that model, I specially like the skin tone you went for.

As for a name... I don't know if the Void Revenants are based on an specific culture, but maybe "Vetusta Squad" or "The Vetust Shield" could work, them being veteran breachers. However I'm not very good at coming up with names, so I'm sure you'll find a better name if you give it some thought.

@Kordahl - I love the face, can't wait to see the guys with the helms.

@KrautScientist - thanks. I definitely see him as a disciple of Erebus, I was inspired mostly by Xaphen in 'The First Heretic'.

@Drac0 - I will be away for part of this month so had to press on, taking the lead from @Augustus b'Raass.  I went back to Cassius's badges, and of course the chain snapped taking it off the sprue, right in the middle. I thought I might mend it, but one half got blown onto the floor when I was blowing dust of another part (I know, what a noob).  So I took that as a sign the gods wanted something else, hence the berserker elbows hold the parchment, and berserkers also donated the pistol (but I had to replace the clunky hand).  I fixed the crozius chain with some chain from a Dark Vengeance chaos marine.  This is now ridiculously fragile, this chap will never see the table top.  Finally, I absent-mindedly glued on the shoulder pads (meant to leave them off for painting). I'll leave the backpack off for painting so I am calling this fellow 'built'. 

WB Arena front

WB Arena side

Oh I also tried a bit of battle damage - meant to be the @Kizzdougs way, but not sure I have the hang of it yet. More? Different? C&C please.

Some amazing work done in the last few days.

@traitor - they look great with the back packs on. Defo recon I'll be giving press molding a go on the next challenge, have you got any tips?

@ lame beard - that chaplains looking good. The battle damage is nice, shows he's in the middle of a campaign of zealous cleansing of souls for the emperor.

@kordal - that paint scheme is awesome. Really like the idea of your back story too. I like the name squad'adonis'with the versed disgruntaled astartus. Could say they have kept there old squad name and don't like the fact new primarus marines take charge of what was an astartus squad

I have been busy working away at my model this weekend and I think I have it sussed so I primed it. I couldn't find a clenched right lc fist (which annoyed me) so I stuck with the head in his palm idea. I'm only on mobile version while at home so will upload pics tomorrow afternoon :-)

@Sagentus: you should definitely give press molding a try, it allows you to use those awesome rare bits much more often! As for tips I believe there are two fundamental things: make sure it fits (I make a lego mold for this) and press a lot (I sit on it)! If you need any more info simply drop me a PM!

Apologies I'm a little late starting this but here is the pre assembled image of my Primaris Intercessors.

http://i.imgur.com/1WReS4B.jpg

Here's a wip of the sergeant about 5 hours in

http://i.imgur.com/5ntfmb2.jpg

Thanks

Edited by Tankus Wokus

V

http://i.imgur.com/Z34jAT4.jpg

So it looks like this will be my final update before painting! The magnetised battle standard is completed, pending C&C from you guys (very welcome), and now I have to tidy up the model before deciding how to approach painting it.

I do have a couple questions for you guys:

• Is it worth sculpting a fur mount to cover the shoulders and the top of the cloak? The old version of this guy had it, but I'm not sure if it's necessary here. It might really increase his tabletop presence or it might be too much.
  • Some people I've shown the model to didn't like the standard because they felt it was too big. I personally don't see it, but I'd be curious what the general reaction is.
  • The overall pose and angle of the miniature. I've tried to set him up so he looks at rest, almost melancholic, maybe post-battle. Does this come across?

Any other comments or criticism very welcome!

Arkhan

@ Brother Captain Arkhan: I just left you a rambling - and probably not all that helpful - comment over at your thread, so let's try to be a bit more constructive this time around:

• I do think he needs the fur, if only to bring back some of the raggedness that made the original version so excellent.
  • the banner arm is looking great (some trailing, torn scraps of cloth might be a cool additon)
  • the shield arm doesn't work nearly as well as it did on the original model, though. Maybe it's the fact that the pistol held in his left hand is so visible -- I've always found that a fairly strange setup, to be honest, even if it probably makes perfect sense in Space Marine logic ;)

Holy crap - tons of great updates all around! I can't comment to everyone, but I will give it a shot:

@ GrotSmasha: DUUUDE that thing is huuuge. I love the checker pattern on his kneepad - but it seems to me that could be done a little neater. Have you tried sing masking tape? :tu:

@ Trokair: great seeing those ancient necrons get some love. I'm a bit surprised though that you're doing them in a way that differs from the rest of your necrons. Why? :smile.:

@ The Traitor: Dude, you did a fantastic job 40k-ifying those Chaos Warriors. The only thing I can think of to improve them is perhaps add some cabling here and there? Otherwise, they seem to be ready for paint!

@ MikhalLeNoir: I can't tell if you're serious or not - perhaps something is lost in translation? I don;t understand how your believing you're being hacked relates to what has been said. What I (and Vairocanum) meant is: I will only record all WIP posts in this thread. I will not record everyone's WIPs posted in their own threads, because that's neigh impossible to keep track of. 

@ Kordhal: Great paint job - I do recommend using trasnfers for the roman numerals. They're small enough to not be bothered by any curvature of the miniatures. If you need any tips&tricsk concerning transfers, I can do a tutorial. Let me know!

@ Lamebeard: you did a fantastic job with that Apostle, buddy. The pins of the oaths of moment/impurity seals looks great - and I love that you replaced the crozius with that of Kurtha Sedd. :thumbsup:

@ Tankus Wokus: YES! Welcome to the thunderdome, buddy. God to see you started your project!

@ BrotherCaptainArkhan: Great work on the vexillarius - to answer your questions: 1. Yes it is definitely worth it, just make sure it covers his shoulders, because as Teetengee said here above, it'd look weird if you'd not. 2. I love the standard but it looks too big for that pose: even with his super human strength, he wouldn't be able to hold the standard at that angle - therefore: 3. I'd alter the angle of his left arm so that the standard is held vertically. That'll give him the realistic melancholy you're looking for. Also, your latest update says 'V', but I've recorded it as the 4th - am I missing something?

Huff huff :wink:

In my news: I'm still waiting for bits for my Nurgle Daemon Prince, from no less than three sources! The jump pack bits come from the USA, the giant censer he'll be swinging fromt the UK, and the ogre face he'll be sporting from within the Netherlands. Tick tock!

Cheers!

UPDATED TO THIS POINT

The event is well under way now, and we're seeing some excellent progress! 

It seems that only four frater still need to actually start their progress: Brother Argent, Drac0, Soldier of Dorn, and GreyravenC - I suggest that their challengers (Grotsmasha, LameBeard, KBA, and Varred, respectively) contact these frater through PM, to ask what's going on and if they need any support, feedback, or encouragement :yes: - the time is ticking away, and we have only 12 days to go!

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

@ traitor - Defo have to give it a go next month, do you have any good tips or youtube demo's ?

I have some pics of Urmak, he is now primed but I'm not happy with how uneven my gs work looks once undercoated. Does anyone have any good tips for getting gs to look smooth?

gallery_95896_12723_48060.jpg
Managed to carve a khorne symbol on the LC (took ages!)
gallery_95896_12723_891865.jpg
Also made a combi-plasma, what do people think ?
gallery_95896_12723_601153.jpg
With the help of Aug i managed to get bigger pics :D
Edited by Sagentus

@ Sagentus: He's looking pretty excellent. I kinda wish you'd left off the rather clunky combi-weapon, though. I get that it probably makes sense from a rules standpoint, but the smaller pistols you had on there before worked far better from a visual standpoint.

@Trokair The base color you have down there looks really good. I had to reread what you said, because it looks like they're still unpainted factory metal! (A complement for Necrons I'm sure :wink:)

Tombworld fresh as they say. How are your marines coming along?

Arkham, can the banner be completely upright? That might make it seem less top heavy and awkward. Can we have a look at him from the shield side as right now edge on it is hard to see how well it looks in reality.

Augustus, I am planning on having the old school Necrons be their own army. Count as Men of Iron that survive the conflicts of the Age of Strive and fled to the edge of the galaxy where they have been ever since, or something like that, still working on the fluff, might just be that they are from a different tombworld, one under control of a C'Tan (while I understood the point of the radical fluff shift of the 5th edition codex I always rather liked the older fluff).

@Tankus Wokus: That Primaris Sergeant is looking fantastic, love the orange!

@BrotherCaptainArkhan: Wow your captain is looking phenomenal! I think the addition of fur to the top of the cloak would definitely look nice, the standard looks ok to me doesn't seem too big, and the pose does come across like he's at rest to me (sort of like he's looking over the battlefield at all his fallen brothers).

@Sagentus: For smoother GS you can use water or vaseline while sculpting. Prior to sculpting you could let the GS cure for a bit before you start sculpting as that usually makes it easier to work with and more smooth.

Basically finished my Wolf Lord, there's probably some minor things to tweak like gap filling etc. Feel free to leave some C&C and there are more pictures of the model in my WIP thread.

http://i.imgur.com/GVstHYA.jpg

Sagentus: I'd agree with Krautscientist on the combi-weapon's clunkiness (but they are great in this edition) .. otherwise, I'm lovin him.  Thanks to an "event" at work, you are ahead of me, hopefully I can catch up and be primed by Friday. Then I should be good to finish.

Edited by rednekkboss

@ var- cheers for the advice. Defo try and let the gs/milliput cure for a bit first. How long do you let 9t cure for?

@rednek - cheers mate. I have picked out another bolter arm and sprayed it up today. Hopefully it will all be cured for tonight when I get home from work and get the first coat of red on the model. I know what you mean about work, I'm working 4-11pm this week and the misses has plans for the day time lol.

@ Sagentus: Nice looking combi plasma there, buddy. That old Khorne Berzerker pistol is perfect for that, isn't it?

@ Varocanum: Dat Rune Priest.... I've learned from others that the detail is mostly press molds, but the still: fantastic work!

@ helterskelter: I think you have outdone yourself with that guy, mate! He (almost literally) oozes character! ;)

Alright, my bits finally came in (except the skaven giant censer, but that's ok) and I started building the rockets for the DP jump pack! Here's what I have so far:

Hurray! Tons of bits came in today for my Nurgle Daemon Prince: the exhausts for the jump pack, and the face!

I made a start with the jump pack, and tried the fit of the Ogre face with the body of the Nurgle DP. I am happy to find that it fits perfectly! I'll probably be dremelling the lower jaw and hair away from that Ogre face, and replacing it with an opened Ork jaw.... OR! I could try the previous bear trap jaw....  choices choices. 

Here's what I have planned. When I put the jump rockets next to the body, I noticed that they were a bit too big. So I'll probably cut more away from the plasma cannons' rear, about where I put the exhausts to the sides:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Death%20Guard/temporary_zpseaj5bdkm.jpg

@aug - cheers. That plasma pistol worked perfectly. But on popular demand I won't be using that arm for the model in this challenge. Looks to clunky on the model. I'll find an9ther use for it though ;-)

Your dp looks great can't wait to see more of it

OK GANG!  Midway update! Construction is done on the plague caster.  More shots on the Templars of DOOooom thread. Priming tomorrow, then painting. Deadline is looking SOLID for the end of the month. 

DUDE! I'm loving this guy, but the completely empty belly just looks weird to me. I know the bell in there needs some room (wonderfully twisted idea) but I think it needs something, even if it's just some textured stuff around the inside and/or behind it. 

As for my own progress, I finally got back to my Bloodthirster today and the chainmail on his other leg is curing right now and I'll get pics up tomorrow. 

OK GANG!  Midway update! Construction is done on the plague caster.  More shots on the Templars of DOOooom thread. Priming tomorrow, then painting. Deadline is looking SOLID for the end of the month. 

DUDE! I'm loving this guy, but the completely empty belly just looks weird to me. I know the bell in there needs some room (wonderfully twisted idea) but I think it needs something, even if it's just some textured stuff around the inside and/or behind it. 

As for my own progress, I finally got back to my Bloodthirster today and the chainmail on his other leg is curing right now and I'll get pics up tomorrow. 

Agreed, that part of the belly bugs me a but, I might stick a little nasty something in the back, but still needs room for the bell to work.