++// AUGUST ARENA 2017 - EVENT THREAD \\++

I didn't say that I wasn't going to finish the Bloodthirster, just that I needed a break for few days and I'll be working towards the Khârn project as well. Right now, I'm gathering reference and inspiration pics while trying to figure out how to pose him and what sort of details I'll go with. 

I feel your pain, big sculpting projects especially, can just drain you. You need time to "clean your eyeballs" and brain by working on something else for a bit. I'm going to do a Lucius anyways, I just won't worry about the deadline now. :)  But I may challenge someone to a small unit deal for August. I have WAY TOO MANY line troops that need to get done.

Also, as both Brother Cambrius and Warsmith Uveron have not declared for which deadline they would finish their entry, I have listed them under the July 31st deadline, and they too only have a single day left!!! (but I'll be gentle and allow them to change their acceptance into the August 31st deadline if and only if they do this before the July 31st deadline)

Ok. Well I was aimig to get these photos up some point last week, but my trip to the hospital took more out of me than I expected. Anyway these are some poor quality photos of the finished unit. Will try and get better ones up as soon as I can!

gallery_63905_13412_1126845.jpg

gallery_63905_13412_765761.jpg

As pledged here is my finished Terminator chaplain:

http://i.imgur.com/v1hqGU0.jpg

More pics at the gallery: http://imgur.com/a/6CiGl

Gotta admit that both glow effects and the base I chose were a challenge, but is good to be back painting after some years without doing any of it, hope you enjoy it.

As always critics and tips are welcome.

@LameBeard Waiting to see how your model turned up.

We do not wear HIS symbol, we are HIS symbol! 

Edited by Drac0

1 of 5 almost done:jp3ZJuc.jpg

Happy with how they're coming along :)

Chomping away at my entry still, but wanted your guys' input on what the colour of the topknots should be as I'm unsure. Suggestions and reasoning welcome :)

1 of 5 almost done:jp3ZJuc.jpg

Happy with how they're coming along :smile.:

Chomping away at my entry still, but wanted your guys' input on what the colour of the topknots should be as I'm unsure. Suggestions and reasoning welcome :smile.:

I'd say a mix of scab red with blood red highlights to go along with the bolter or if you want something to stand out dark angel green (but this might ruin you color schem and I must say that they are looking great)

Edited by Drac0

I'm trying to paint glow for the first time so take it easy on the critics xD

I love the glow.

If I have any niggle, it seems that left shoulder is rotated quite far forward? May be just the camera angle?

Anyway, you are shaming with me and my lack of progress - I managed to reprime after scraping off the mold line but nothing more to report. Will redouble efforts later this week!

med_gallery_93054_12142_683313.jpg
Edited by LameBeard

Gotta admit that both glow effects and the base I chose were a challenge, but is good to be back painting after some years without doing any of it, hope you enjoy it.

Sorry just seen this post. I LOVE the glow even more. I love the skull. I love the parchment. I love the base. I love the tiny glow in the censer. But most of all I love the fact you are back in the saddle - that's inspiring me.

I know you say finished but doesn't that Crux Terminatus in the belt buckle deserve a lick of gold or even a jewel? Or too fancy for your Chaplain? And I can't tell from the pictures, but have you drilled out your storm bolter barrels? You know there are some people on this forum who get quite upset when they see undrilled bolters...

Sorry just seen this post. I LOVE the glow even more. I love the skull. I love the parchment. I love the base. I love the tiny glow in the censer. But most of all I love the fact you are back in the saddle - that's inspiring me.

I know you say finished but doesn't that Crux Terminatus in the belt buckle deserve a lick of gold or even a jewel? Or too fancy for your Chaplain? And I can't tell from the pictures, but have you drilled out your storm bolter barrels? You know there are some people on this forum who get quite upset when they see undrilled bolters...

the pose on your model looks great, really menacing, again, can't wait to see it painted.

thanks a lot for the support, and I'm glad my getting out of being lazy has inspired you.

I am very pleased with the skull and the parchment, gonna keep on working on the glow effects on the next models.

The base was a chalenge I set myself to do, it was rewarding to see how it turned up. :)

I did intentionally avoid using any golden colours on my chaplain sticking with the silvers, something akin to a vow of poverty, but I think you're right, at least the gem should / could be added.

As for the storm bolter and the position of the shoulder pad they share the same problem, metal model, not much I could have done to work on his stance, and to the bolter add the fact that I have no drill, so I just try to simulate the drill holes with paint which doesn't always end up as expected tough.

Guess I'll be painting the terminator squad to go along with him while you work on your model, see if you get a move one by seeing them ;)

Right I can officially say Urmak is done (just in time)

gallery_95896_12723_1121673.jpg

gallery_95896_12723_1311135.jpg

gallery_95896_12723_829267.jpg

gallery_95896_12723_1230669.jpg

Sorry that the pics aren't great, it's 2340 here and I don't have a daylight bulbs :( learnt a lot doing this model. I didn't have enough time to paint some blood effects, but once I do I'll update in my wip

Who wants a challenge this month?

I can do a squad of infantry (bezerkers) or give a helbrute another go :-)

Edited by Sagentus

On this final day of July, 2017.... I, The One and Only Rednekkboss, challenge The Seriously Singular, MindofMetal to step into the Arena with me, where we shall both build, paint, and base a 10 man infantry squad on foot. I shall summon forth unto this Arena my version converted poxwalkers to smite my foe before the deadline of August 31st, 2017.

Completed my Wolf Lord for the first round of August Arena. Not the best pics cause I got home too late so natural light wasn't an option. Also my camera is dying, might try again to get better pics tmr. More angles in my WIP thread.

http://i.imgur.com/K8h74IR.jpg

Added slightly better picture:
http://i.imgur.com/TpcJcJ6.jpg

Edited by Vairocanum

On this final day of July, 2017.... I, The One and Only Rednekkboss, challenge The Seriously Singular, MindofMetal to step into the Arena with me, where we shall both build, paint, and base a 10 man infantry squad on foot. I shall summon forth unto this Arena my version converted poxwalkers to smite my foe before the deadline of August 31st, 2017.

On this first day of August 2017 I accept the challenge of Rednekkboss, wherein I will build, paint and base a 10 man Infantry squad on foot. I shall prepare for battle a 10 man converted Blackshield Marauder squad before the deadline of August 31st 2017.

I, Isengrin, challenge MikhalLeNoir to a face-off in the Arena where we each shall build and paint a (true scale) Raptor of the Night Lords until the end of August. May the better flayer win.

tenor.gif

On this first day of August 2017 I accept the challenge of Isengrin, wherein I will build, paint and base a Night Lord 30k Raptor Lord before deadline of August 31st 2017.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view5/4645402/matrix-neo-vs-morpheus-o.gif

UPDATED TO THIS POINT

Sooooooo many completions and even two challenges being laid down and accepted! 

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! 

But please check the Arena Annals to see if things are alright. :)

@ Brother Cambrius: That captain excmplifies the versitality of teh Adeptus Astartes homebrew chapters. It's a very nice colour scheme you did there. Excellent!

@ BCK: Please and by all means: go and do your Khârn project if that clears your brain for the Crocthirster (or is it a Bloodgator?). 

@ MikhalLeNoir: Excellent base - beautiful pose - prime paint job. An excellent example of what this challenge is about! Well done! 

@ Brother Kortmer: Dude, that's an excellent, evocative squad you created there. Great picture too. About the deadline: Well... at least your early finisih allowed you enough time to do another challenge? :D

@ Drac0: Lovely Terminator Chaplain, there, buddy! Do you think he could benefit from a dark blue edge highlight on the armour and a white/bone-mix highlight on his skull?

@ Sagentus: Awesome khorne lord! I love how you used mostly classic bits, yet managed to make a unique individual out of him. Well done!

@ Vairocanum: Hurray for the completed Wolf Lord! However, I demand better pictures. ;) You can't shove that thing in our face without us eyeing the absolute glory of it. 

@ Isengrin & MikhalLeNoir: best challenge and acceptance posts evah ; )

@ Trokair: those are some fine necrons, mate. You do have plenty of time to get them to an even higher level, though - how about a wash of Nuln Oil over the metal, a Agrax wash over the cables, and a hihlight on both afterwards? It's easy to do, and will give them that extra OOMPH :smile.::thumbsup:

While I normally would do a wash and a highlight on grey metal I wanted the Necrons to be ‘clean’ and a wash would give them a dirty/used look in my opininon. Where there are raised metal details such as the on the skull/eyebrow it is more visible then the pictures suggests.

I did try washing the cables, once in agrax as suggested, and once with fugen orange to see if I can make them redder, I then did a very light drybrush on the edges.

As you can see from the picture below the visual difference is not that great. It is slightly more obvious in real life then in the picture as my camera is not that good, but I don't think that it will make a noticeable difference so I am not going to do the rest.

gallery_29932_13461_28211.jpg

Thank you Aug! I wanted him to look unique but also wanted him to be noticeable as a bezerker. Then he ties in with the bit of back story I got for him. Plenty of plans for a future model of him, but firstly I have plenty of other figures to build/paint.

Who's up for a challenge this month?

Guess I'll be painting the terminator squad to go along with him while you work on your model, see if you get a move one by seeing them ;)

Aargh! I was feeling tired and was on my way to bed. Then I got scared you were gonna have a whole squad done before I've even started - so I broke out the paint! Not worth a pic though - now just mostly black. I plan on making him Word Bearer red mostly (even though Xaphen wears black - maybe my chap only got his crozius recently?). Need to decide if the 'trim' will be black or gold, and which legion is being crushed underfoot. I first thought of him as moping up survivors on Istvaan V, but blue might be better from a colour perspective ...?

Guess I'll be painting the terminator squad to go along with him while you work on your model, see if you get a move one by seeing them :wink:

Aargh! I was feeling tired and was on my way to bed. Then I got scared you were gonna have a whole squad done before I've even started - so I broke out the paint! Not worth a pic though - now just mostly black. I plan on making him Word Bearer red mostly (even though Xaphen wears black - maybe my chap only got his crozius recently?). Need to decide if the 'trim' will be black or gold, and which legion is being crushed underfoot. I first thought of him as moping up survivors on Istvaan V, but blue might be better from a colour perspective ...?

Nice to see that you got the motivation to start painting.

I'd go with the gold trim for either colour scheme. Black makes the gold stand out while the gold will make the black look less "boring" with the red scheme the gold just blends nicely with it (assume you're talking about a darker shade of red like scab red).

Finally in both accounts you can easily explain the use of gold because of your legion's primarch.

The fallen foe(s) if you want to use blue, you can change the background from istvaan V to Macragge as that was possibly one of the most ambitions incursions the Word Bearers had during the Heresy.

(If you want to stick to the Istvaan background and you choose the black scheme for your character I'd make the fallen foes either salamander or raven guard for colour contrast)

Here's some extra motivation:

http://imgur.com/a/tEdo7

P.S . Just the PoLC termies and yes, somehow one of the Lightning claws got lost when I moved -.-'

Edited by Drac0

med_gallery_26154_6860_1826853.jpg med_gallery_26154_6860_696108.jpg

And there we have it, I am done for this first vow. I hope Ashenwhyte will have something to present soon, his modelling idea looked very solid. :smile.:

Now I hear there's still a Brother out there in need of an opponent of some description? I might give it another shot with something in my plastic sprue collection for August. :biggrin.:

Cambrius

Very nice! I like the cloak, it suits the model well.

I am still plodding away on painting my conversion, will see if I can finish him today.

I, Varred, challenge Trokair to step into the Arena with me, where we shall both build, paint, and base a CHARACTER ON FOOT, I shall bring forth a PRIMARIS LIBRARIAN before the deadline of August 31st, 2017. If they accept and complete the challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they accept and fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02.