++// AUGUST ARENA 2017 - EVENT THREAD \\++

MikhalLeNoir, Love the ‘Predator’ eagerly waiting to see him painted now.

BCK, nice to see an update, hope you finish him in time.

Varred I hope that your Librarian is nearly done.

Good luck to all who are still working, and I look forward to all the amazing work I expect will pop up in the next few days.

One Necron Lord all done, I have finally finished my second challenge. I was nearly there at the last update but finding the time for those final touches, highlights and basing proofed a challen in and of itself. I have to say that my chamera is really beginnig to really show its age.

gallery_29932_13461_51430.jpg

And a group shot of the Lord and the squad of 10 Warriors I did for the first challenge.

gallery_29932_13461_124428.jpg

Augustus b'Raass, just noticed that on the first page in the list of challenges you have “(has not finished previous challenge?)”. I assume this was an intermediate note as you do have my first challenge listed as completed.

Finished both challenges. I am kinda proud of myself as I managed to finish my two challenges. Thx Vairocanum and Isengrin for motivating me.

Witness the collapse of light

by the unheard screams of night,

woken by tears

in shivering fear

yet, your fate end is near,

perceiving you are not safe,

covering your eyes will not help

scream, scream and lastly

you will disappear

Finished^^ Say hello to Radas Arrawnt, Raptor Captain of the 44. Company of the 8. Legion.

899623-.jpg

899624_sm-.jpg

More.ics and less cheap poems in my thread.^^

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

@Trokair Well done with this lord! He looks awesome :D

And yes, my Librarian is nearing completiton. In fact i have some more WIPs today. Only base and battle damage left to do.

Here he is:

http://i.imgur.com/nrgSc9l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/W596tzP.jpg

All works presented in this thread are awesome and some are straight jaw dropping.

Very very good job on that Night Lord Mikhal, he is awesome.

And to BCK, you simply have to paint it. It would be a shame such skilled sculpting waste away unpainted and what better motivation than this little thread there is?

Cheers to all

Varred

MikhalLeNoir, can we have a different angle shot from the front, I want to see the dreadlocks better. Also the black and white shot makes him look good, can you please post a full picture of him like that?

BCK, hope the floods not too bad where you are.

Thanks Varred. The red outer coat is fitting but why not have it yellow like the inner one? Also I cannot tell from the angle, but did you extend the hammer shaft?

MikhalLeNoir, can we have a different angle shot from the front, I want to see the dreadlocks better. Also the black and white shot makes him look good, can you please post a full picture of him like that?BCK, hope the floods not too bad where you are.Thanks Varred. The red outer coat is fitting but why not have it yellow like the inner one? Also I cannot tell from the angle, but did you extend the hammer shaft?

Hope these angles are better. Unfortunately i have ATM only this one pic in b&w.

899630-.jpg

899627-.jpg

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

Great work everyone, yesterday I finished my Dark Apostle at last!

http://i.imgur.com/yzcxtAa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/I6cKYRe.jpg

Size comparison with CSM and Cultists:

http://i.imgur.com/nf0VbuD.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FAfCgR0.jpg

Everyone is doing a great job, and for those who still haven't finished, good luck on the final effort :wink:!

Edited by The Traitor

I am calling my chaplain finished!

med_gallery_93054_12142_213715.jpg

I really enjoyed this model - I tried out a lot of new things - and I took a lot of inspiration from this thread - special thanks to my challenger @Draco who kept me going!

I ran out of courage on a couple of things:

• 'Glow' from the plasma pistol - I've never got OSL to be convincing, always looks like a mess.
  • 'Script' on the oath papers - again, don't dare try this level of detail.
  • I have also bought some weathering powder - just brown - haven't tried it yet.

So happy to accept tips on these things. Also, what do people do for base rims these days? I went with a darker version of the main base colour, but maybe black would make a better 'frame'?

And a view of the shoulder pad and pistol:

[hidden]

med_gallery_93054_12142_526417.jpg

[\hidden]

Edited by LameBeard

I'm throwing in the towel 'cause there's no way my Crocthirster will be finished by tomorrow. I blame the way the conversion got away from me early on, getting a lot more ambitious with the sculpting than I originally intended and eating up a lot of time. Being the most involved conversion I've ever attempted, I really want to see it done right and I'll be taking the time to correct some things that I'm not happy with. 

@lamebeard - that chaplain looks great. I know what you mean about Osl it's hard to master. You should practice the script writing on a different model and see if you are happy to add it at a later date

@bck - sorry to hear you won't complete the model. But with something as labour intensive as that it's always better to get it done right.

I'm struggling to get my bezerkers finished, but I have 24hrs and I got the gold trim, silver chains and a final highlight to do. I made the decision to Base the gold trim with mournefang first as to not let any red show through. It'll look better in the end but set me back a fair bit.

I'm throwing in the towel 'cause there's no way my Crocthirster will be finished by tomorrow. I blame the way the conversion got away from me early on, getting a lot more ambitious with the sculpting than I originally intended and eating up a lot of time. Being the most involved conversion I've ever attempted, I really want to see it done right and I'll be taking the time to correct some things that I'm not happy with. 

Best to do it right than rush it.  You probably need a little break from it then go back at it with fresh eyes.

I'm 99% done. I'm going to do one more pass at tidying, then call it. I haven't done the models quite the justice it deserves, as it seems my eyes are much worse than I thought, and it's probably time to consider glasses....

Pics and official completion in a bit

Cheers,

Jono

Ok, here we go,

I, Grotsmasha, declare my challenge complete, and present 1x Character on foot.

Here is the first of my pics, and the only tidied one, I'll edit in the rest as I clean them up.

EDIT: Rest of the tidied pics added

gallery_48988_7867_608179.png

Hidden Content

gallery_48988_7867_503063.png

gallery_48988_7867_145792.png

gallery_48988_7867_52155.png

gallery_48988_7867_100537.png

gallery_48988_7867_79317.png

Edited by Grotsmasha

Completed my Plague Lord, should have controlled my hobby butterflying to focus on the Plague Lord instead so I could have a few more days for painting. Painted in Fecund Ones colors cause I didn't have the right green for Death Guard and couldn't make the trip out to buy some earlier.

http://i.imgur.com/vVeqESv.jpg

That shadowed face is glorious.

@LameBeard:
OSL: Drybrushing and many layers are your friends for OSL. Or an airbrush, if you like airbrushing.
Script: Very fine point permanent markers can sometimes be used for this, or just very small brushes. The important thing is not to worry about actually painting real words or letters, just little scribbles arranged as words might be. Breaking it up with fell icons can also work well.

TICK TOCK, BROTHERS!!

The end of the August Arena is nearing, and challenges are being fulfilled left and right! With only a few hours until the final deadline, tension rises among the crowd: will the last challengers finish in time or will the bear eternal shame? Will they finish or falter? Who will claim the honour and who will bear defeat.... and who among the latter will repent and reclaim their honour in a later stage?

ALL WILL BE REVEALED!!!

UPDATED TO THIS POINT

@ Kordhal: That fantastic truescale techmarine deserves completion! DO IT!!!

@ Sagentus: What about those khorne berzerkers? Surely they deserve a win in an Arena!?!

@ Tankus Wokus: Absolutely stunning finish there, buddy! Congratulations on winning in the Arena, and having to show such beautiful MkX marines for it. 

@ BCK: Buddy, I feel and share your pain - it's been the same for me - the conversion was the most involved one I ever did and real life just got in the way of my plans. I would love for us to finish both projects though, and invite you to join me in a mutually supportive extension of the challenge!

@ KBA: OOOOOOh please tell me you will finish those beauties!

@ Trokair: Another solid Arena finish with that Necron Lord, buddy! I appreciate the effort and dedication! Your upcoming completion banners re well-deserved. And re: the note: you are right, that was a note that I failed to remove. 

@ MikhalLeNoir: An absolutely stunning conversion and a great paint job to boot. Wow!

@ The Traitor: that is by far wone of the scariest, modiest sorcerers I've seen on this bard - it has an ephemeral quality to it that I just cannot seem to grasp - it reminds me of the eighties sorcerer on disc!

@ LameBeard: Congratulations on that beautiful Dark apostle. it ooes character and I think you did a great job mixing those bits - they make for a very recgnizable, yet unique miniature. The paint job truly does it justice and you finished it off with a detailed and characterful base. Well done! 

@ GrotSmasha: That beast will definitely smash grots - and more. Well done on bringing that enormous chunk of resin to life -and especially with the convincing plasma combi-element, using what I believe is a Plasma Cannon, no? Impressive work!

@ Brother Argent: Another beautiful plastic contemptor conversion. I think your minimalist conversion work really added to the end result: that thing is dificult to repose, so I think you were wise not to try it, and focus on the details. You made him unique and he will stand proud among his living brothers in your collection!

@ Vairocanum: I love that plague lord. With his no-nonsense and minimalist style, moody atmosphere and that dirty cloack, he's quite the opposite of the newer, cartoonish nurgle characters and I love him! Very inspiring!