++// AUGUST ARENA 2017 - EVENT THREAD \\++

Sorry for the double post, but as soon as i replied to Mikhail's suggestion, I went straight away to the workbench.

Turns out I had some deathwatch minis i was never going to use (fun fact, next GW codex is Deathwatch and they are super OP . I can bet on that), so I got right away to work.

The weapon needs some touch ups and GS work, but it is after midnight here and I am going to sleep.

I present You the hammer of Dorn (oddly on a librarian but who cares)

http://i.imgur.com/3toUBPn.jpg

Cheers

Varred

While the concept is cool he defenitely needs a longer shaft, don't know how to say it in english but the whole physics behind a hammer doing damage is based on it tracing a long arc, and you need a shaft as long as possible for it. You could probably hit nails nicely with that though... :P

Agree the shaft is a bit too short, but i wanted to base that hammer on this one:

http://news.toyark.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2016/12/Damtoys-Orgrim-Warcraft-Statue-009.jpg

The logic behind hammer and it's physics is based on human strength. Also according to those physics, the smaller the hitting point the better, so they should probably use a pickaxe instead og a hammer. But they are Space Marines, and my concept was simmilar to the Warcraft movie maker i think. It is big enough to create that force with a short hammer. Like hitting a nail on the head.

But yeah, still the shatf should be longer.

Cheers

Varred

Here comes my Librarian.

I don't know how to make him look more like an Impreial Fist.

Any thoughts?

*snip*

Cheers

Varred

Great build thus far Varred!

In terms of making him look more Imperial Fisty, I echo what was already said with the paintjob displaying his true colours.

But as for adding bitz etc, a back banner might be an idea, replacing the ornament on the top with a clenched fist from a spare arm (the Chaos gauntlets are great).

Looking forwards to seeing it based and painted!

Cambrius

I, GreyRavenC, challenge The Traitor to step into the Arena with me, where we shall both build, paint, and base a Character on foot. I shall bring forth a Chaplain before the deadline of August 31st, 2017.

Paint the crozius first - then maybe I can copy you!

Focusing in on the crozius proved to be a daunting task, but I think I got it. I took pictures before I painted the highlights on the metal, so ignore those parts.

gallery_92826_13417_5581.jpg

Close-ups:

gallery_92826_13417_22759.jpg

gallery_92826_13417_48302.jpg

@GreyRavenC: woah that was fast! The silver metal is looking a bit too plain in my opinion, don't know if you're going to work more on it? A dark wash and then focal highlights should do the trick. I'm going to have to hurry A LOT if I want to catch up, if I'm lucky I'll be able to start in four or five days...

@GreyRavenC: woah that was fast! The silver metal is looking a bit too plain in my opinion, don't know if you're going to work more on it? A dark wash and then focal highlights should do the trick. I'm going to have to hurry A LOT if I want to catch up, if I'm lucky I'll be able to start in four or five days...

No worries, this was just a simple layer of Leadbelcher. Shades and highlight have been added in the meantime. I tried to show LameBeard the crozius, but painting it first with the cloak so close would have been madness!

I'm actually finished with the body now, so only the head left now. I'll post up a picture tomorrow. I have plenty of free unbroken space, input about possible additions would be welcome.

Any plans for your Apostle yet? Knowing your work, I doubt it will be a stock miniature.

I, GreyRavenC, challenge The Traitor to step into the Arena with me, where we shall both build, paint, and base a Character on foot. I shall bring forth a Chaplain  before the deadline of August 31st, 2017.

Paint the crozius first - then maybe I can copy you!

Focusing in on the crozius proved to be a daunting task, but I think I got it. I took pictures before I painted the highlights on the metal, so ignore those parts.

Hey thanks my friend - I appreciate it.  I think you have the right idea: two different metallics for the crozius.  That gets the best out of the sculpt without having to climb the mountain of saying "this is stone, and it's so obviously stone that you shouldn't question why this chaplain is going to hit you over the head with his stone m-OUCH!"

I will go in this direction without necessarily making it a direct copy.

@GreyRavenC: then it is going to be impossible for me to catch up :(... But you're right, I won't be using the Dark Apostle model (even though it is pretty cool) but the AoS Chaos Sorcerer from the Start Collecting: Slaves to Darkness box. It's a model I've had lying around for some time and I think it will be a good base, even though it'll be VERY modified, I'll almost only keep the legs, staff and part of the back, everything bulked out.

Almost done. Only need a final highlight and paint the helmet. Now I have an issue with the front of this Chap. The back looks nice with the flowing red cloak, but the front (the important part) looks pretty lame with all the black. I'm already going to paint checkers on his front leg to break up the black in the lower portion, but I'm stuck as to what I'm going to with his chestplate. It has so much potential, but I just can't see what.

gallery_92826_13417_170589.jpg

@GreyRavenC: It is looking great, now the metal is much better. I don't know however if checkers would be too much detail to be on a leg, you would then need to make some freehands elsewhere to balance the model, and that way you would also fix your problem with the chest, possibly the Consecrators or Winged Sword icon would fit. And while you are on it why don't you do another freehand on the cape? The more you do the more time I'll have :P!

Edit: also, a sepia wash on the cream part of the cape would probably look pretty good, it seems a bit plain to me now...

Edited by The Traitor

...Now I have an issue with the front of this Chap. The back looks nice with the flowing red cloak, but the front (the important part) looks pretty lame with all the black ... I'm stuck as to what I'm going to with his chestplate. It has so much potential, but I just can't see what.

gallery_92826_13417_170589.jpg

How about the Kurtha Sedd script decal for the chest?

How about a company number and some purity seals on the legs?

Also weathering could break up big areas on the lower legs and bottom of the cloak.

Great work so far everyone.

Right my Techmarine has finally arrived from forgeworld:

http://i.imgur.com/5gxfpod.jpg

Now before I go about assembling him, is there any tips for upscaling resin models, as I would quite like to make him in scale for the rest of the army, but am also conscious of mucking up and ruining the figure (I had hoped the legs and torso would be separate bits)! So any tips/suggestions would be most helpful. 

Normally I would add a 1 mm spacer on the upper legs and lower legs and then thicken the upper legs but this is not possible here without making more sculpting necessary.

I would. Cut the shins apart. Add 2 mm between the legs and make and additional cut on the hip and add there a spacer as well because the torso will look too short compared to the legs. Best thing would be to make the cut between the two upper most armorplates and then add the spacer and restructure everything. A bit of sculpting involved but not too much. You could make the additional armorplate with plaatic card or sculpt it.

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

@MikhalLeNoir: Cheers for the advice will have to have a sit down and do some planning. Though am almost tempted to use a spare primaris body and use the arms and backpack to make a techmarine (though will be sad to lose the lovely torso)..

Varred, A good paint job will probably be enough, the distinctive yellow will go a long way. I like the Idea of the hammer, especially with a fist as the centre between the two hammer ends. I do however feel that the entire weapon should be longer. If you cannot extend the hammer end maybe have a longer hilt on the other so that it looks like the Liberian is just holding it rather high.

The Traitor, nice start, however, and it might just be the angle or dark tones, but the head does not look right to me. Sorry.

I know he is not much to look at, but he has been striped, primed in black and now undercoated. One Lord ready for some colour.

gallery_29932_13461_156190.jpg

@Trokair: Looking forward to seeing your Lord painted!

On my end here is some progress (bearing in mind it is veeeery WIP at the moment), after much careful chopping and comparing to primaris proportions my techmarine is starting to come together. 

http://i.imgur.com/gdAjK3A.jpg

Also what do people think of the head? I personally really like it but am interested in other opinions!