Sons Of Medusa Blog

So its been over a year since i last played a game of 40k and with the release of 8th edition i have decided to start a new army and get back into the groove, the original plan was to use all the old models that i have laying around from unfinished projects, this was the deciding factor in doing another space marine army but when i saw the dark imperium starter box i decided that i had to add the primaris to the mix too.

i wanted to go for a chapter that isn't often seen on the table top, as i huge fan of the badab war  i switched my attention to one of the loyalist chapters from the FW books which lead me to the sons of medusa.

i love there whole back story of how there weren't actually founded but started off as a third of the Iron Hands chapter that split from the man chapter during the Moire Schism that later got acknowledged as there own chapter.

so here's a couple of WIP of the Primaris

sons Of medusa

standard bearer SOM

still waiting for the shoulder pad insignia's that i have ordered off of shapeways to arrive, but happy with how there are coming along hopefully get them finished off over the weekend and then can turn my attention to the first of my tactical squads.

thanks for the comments, Krash the green is done by airbrushing VGA Escorpena Green followed by a highlight of VGC Livery Green though that colour doesn't really show well on the pictures.

so a little more detail on the sons of medusa, they do not follow the codex astartes instead the chapter is split into 3 war clans Lachesis, Mageara and Atropos. the clan is made up of 1 Battle Company, 1 Tactical Company, 1 Support Company (which is made up from Devastator, Assault and Veteran Squads) and finally a Scout force, each of the clans is lead by an Iron Thane and the companies by a captain, the sons of medusa also have the chamber ferrum which is made up from the chapter's Venerable Dreadnoughts and their Techmarines which keeps control of the chapters forges and apothecarion.

So the war clan that i will be representing is Atropos, this allows me to use the Vaylund Cal rules from FW, the basic colour scheme i'm going for is Green armour with white aquila and helmet. chapter command so sergeant/lieutenant/captain etc have a red left shoulder pad this to show the links to the Adeptus Mechanicus that date back to there time as Iron Hands as well as gold aquila on there chest plate.

As i said in my first post im trying to recycle as much from my previous projects so i have started by stripping the rhinos that used to be for my Ultramarines to turn them into assets for the sons of medusa.

SOM rhino

SOM Rhino

so as you can see have the basic colours done, needs a few touch ups then weathering i'm planing on have a go at making some transfers to use on the tanks if that doesn't work ill look into buying some.

As i'm off work today hopefully i can make some more progress.

• 4 weeks later...
thanks for the comments :rolleyes:

so been a while since i posted a combination of work and holidays have kept

my hobby time down to a minimum, however i'm now back in the groove.

I've spent a bit of time thinking about how im going to fit the primaris into the structure of the Sons of medusa and GW/FW haven't stated anything about the chapter after the badab war (though nice to see them turn up in the new codex) so i have added a bit of my own backstory to the chapter.

when cadia fell and the warp storm split the imperium into two, the Atropos War Clan and their fleet was cut off from the other 

elements of the chapter, fast forward to around 60 years into the indomitus crusade, Guilliman's fleet comes across the sons of medusa fleet, Vaylund Cal the Iron Thane of the Atropos war clan meets with the primarch and they discuss resupplying the sons of medusa, being a strict follower Moirae-Sect of the Cult Mechanicus and the belief that flesh is weak he was more interested in the new pattern of power armour and weapons then the primaris marines themselves as even though Guilliman had  greysheilds with gene seed from Ferrus Manus, they weren't followers of the Moirae-Sect, however Cal wanted the data on how to upgrade his current marines to primaris as well as the STC for the new armour mark.

to motivate myself i decided to paint up the spare imperial marine that i had laying around.

http://i.imgur.com/9CKqEru.jpg?2

http://i.imgur.com/nCZo8IT.jpg?1

used one of the sons of medusa pad that i got from shapeways, talking about shapeways i picked up the new insignia packs from pop goes the monkey and there great, really love how they look on the models

http://i.imgur.com/uDQeLCt.jpg?1

so have gone back to my previous painted units and started adding them.

comments welcome as ever.