"New" BA Units - Primaris Captain, Librarian, Reivers

Jolemai

Yes, all the new Primaris units are confirmed as being available to BAs. Each box contains a data sheet with the weapon options and stats on them. All points value for Primaris units can be found on the GW site below.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads/K3ns3JDOGE2asjf/Primaris-week-4/IORF435R4_ENG_Primaris_Marines_Release_04_July_29th.pdf

I find the prices for most of them are pretty good considering they have 1 extra wound over their non-primaries equivalents. Hellblasters costs 2ppm more than Company veterans with plasma guns. Those 2 extra points get you 2W, 2A, better Ld and and extra 6" range on their guns, quite a bargain IMHO.

Characters are about an extra 15 points for the +1W and +1Ld. That strikes me as a fair price although their wargear is more restricted and they cannot fit in regular transports which is something of a downer.

Intercessors are significantly more expensive than Tacticals but whether this is worth it depends on how you use them. Bearing in mind that they do no need points on heavy or special weapons, the price difference is not so big. Put them in cover on an objective and they are quite hard to shift for 100 points. Don't forget that in Chapter Approved, they will gain ObjSec which might be useful (although so will Tacs and Scouts)

Inceptors do seem overpriced to me, I agree. If they had stayed at 53ppm like in the DM minidex, they would have been OK but as it stands, I am not sure they are worth it. 18 S5 AP-1 shots looks a lot on paper but for less than the cost of a 6-man squad, you can get a Storm Raven which is just as maneuverable, has similar levels of firepower, more wounds, T7 and is harder to hit thanks to Supersonic.

Aggressors are also expensive and really need a Repulsor for transport unless you are playing a defensive gunline which is not exactly BA style.

In short, I don't think that Primaris Marines are overcosted across the board. Hellblasters are a bargain while Interecessors and Characters are fine in their proper context.

I meant actual prices XD

Three inceptors cost 50 dollars

:blush.: :biggrin.: 

OK, fair point. The characters in particular seem extortionate. I have only got the guys who come in the Dark Millennium box so far and that will probably be enough for me for now.

The Intercessor and Hellblaster squads actually look OK price-wise as they are just £10 than the equivalent tactical squads.

As an unashamed Primaris fanboy, I have to say I still think the Captains aren't worth the points. Sure, an extra attack and wound is handy, but I wouldn't say it's worth cutting yourself off from the armoury for. Give a regular Cap a thunder hammer or relic blade, and he can do more with his 4 attacks than the Primaris Cap with basic power sword can do with his 5. Likewise currently the Primaris Captain only gets access to bolt rifles and pistols as his ranged weapons, whereas the regular Cap gets combi-weapons and fancy pistols. As a general rule, anything you use a Captain for, you can get a better result with a properly equipped basic dude than a severely limited Primaris. Gravis Captains are better, but then you are starting to compete with Terminator/Cataphractii Captains.

i actually really like gravis captains.

as for regular captains, I think it really depends on what you need/want him to do. In regular marines, a primaris captain with the relic power sword is a good idea vs a regular captain with the aforementioned thunder hammer or relic blade. And will be cheaper too. In terms of shooting, master crafted stalker or master crafted auto bolt rifle is a pretty good weapon - whilst also being quite cheap. The big thing for me is the lack of plasma pistol option, but honestly I expect that to change once the rules for the birthday captain become available. Just really hoping plasma pistol and fist become options for captains, rather than it being a solo datasheet (will be the latter and i'll be sad).

They can work as long range buffers, but in the new marine dex their only cc option is a regular power sword - not master crafted. The only way to give them a better weapon is to exchange it for the burning blade, which gives +2 str and -5 rend, but still only does 1 damage. I'm hoping they will get more options soon, but the "no model, no rules" approach suggests that until they release another captain model we are stuck for the moment, despite the ease of hand swaps to get more interesting weapons.

Has anyone had luck footslogging Aggressors? I really don't want to use a Repulsor (no problem with it, just doesn't fit my playstyle) but I can't think of a good way to use them in my army without one.

Honestly, as opponent I'd be really thankful for footslogging Aggressors. Any army should have multi-damage weapons that can deal with 2+ armor quite easily. In my T'au army it would be Rail Rifles or just Missile Pods with ATS (so they have AP-2). For other Marines it's probably Plasma, Missile Launcher or Lascannons. 

in a vaccum, aggressors on foot will die very quickly. However if you're also running a redemptor, hellblasters and repulsor plus maybe reivers and inceptors in their face, suddenly focus firing to kill the aggressors isn't such an easy choice.