Hvitr Valdyr's Space Wolves

I always knew I wasn't going to use all 10 running poses for my assault intercessors because I want to make some regular intercessors in running poses. So I took the Blood Claws I converted when Dark Imperium was released and redid some of them with assault intercessor arms. Here are my 2 small packs of Primaris Blood Claws, aka assault intercessors. Pack leader thunder hammers made from dwarf hammers.

50361887231_2324c744d2_o.jpg

50361887181_73ef9de58e_o.jpg

50361887361_d1e9426833_o.jpg

50361887176_650183a539_o.jpg

Love your work HvitrValdyr, very nice.

I would never have thought those death guard bodies could make such good bases for loyalist marines, but they look relatively clean and it's a great way to get some nice older armour marks into the force. really great.

This whole force is the type of thing I'd like to do for my MTO Indomitus box - changing the heads to older armour Mks and making some other tweaks.

Thanks for the great inspiration!

• 4 weeks later...

Some painted versions of my Judiciar and Bladeguard conversions. Most of the painting was done by Gorka's Miniature Painting. I changed the fur parts on the Bladeguard to give it more differentiation across the models. The Judiciar is all Gorka's painting. Pics aren't the best, Bladeguard armor is dark grey rather than blue grey.

Judiciar

50496011972_b12660c419_o.jpg

50496011967_7349aebd41_o.jpg

50495856126_5340c97cd9_o.jpg

Group shot of Bladeguard

50496034757_7fe51a6fd9_o.jpg

50496034817_3aedf02fe2_o.jpg

Some different angles

50496034467_2d64335040_o.jpg

50495172623_0f3965aaa2_o.jpg

50495172758_56e9b2e67c_o.jpg

Vorek Gnarlfist, Lord of the Iron Wolves, after crossing the Rubicon.

Little bit of self made fluff for Vorek and his weapon since we don't have much. Hopefully the forthcoming supplement won't contradict anything.

Vorek, once known as Warblade, is called Gnarlfist for the massive, master crafted claw he bears into battle. The Gnarlfist is an ancient relic of the Fang, so named for the 3 claws made of gnarled bone which protrude from it's knuckles. The claws themselves are of unknown origin and are razor sharp and nigh unbreakable. The addition of matter disrupting power fields to each bone makes it a truly fearsome weapon. It's history dates back to the early days of the VI Legion and heroes bearing the name of Gnarlfist can be found throughout the sagas sung by the Wolf Priests and skjalds of the chapter. Vorek was given the Gnarlfist upon his elevation to the Wolf Guard by Osric Three Fists, lord of the great company before Egil Iron Wolf. He has carried it since that day, formerly when in his terminator armour and now as part of his MKX Gravis plate as an ascended primaris marine. He also carries a power axe that has been his since he was leader of his previous pack. Named Foe Splitter, it has a storied history of its own.

Again, painting mostly done by Gorkas Miniature Painting, I redid the fur and added a few other touch ups to suit my personal taste.

50506562133_7e5dfb3e08_o.jpg

50507275151_40f3a2e9df_o.jpg

50506562258_e92dca4085_o.jpg

• 1 month later...

Years ago I purchased a tech marine with a plan to build Egil Iron Wolf using the body, similar to the conversion done by the studio. I was going to use the deathwatch watch master head too. Other things came along and I ended up not making the conversion. Recently I used the watch master head in my Vorek Gnarlfist conversion instead. Which still left me with the tech marine. Since we get access the the full servo harness with our 9th edition rules I thought I’d build an iron priest version to run as master of the forge. As the rest of my current army is Primaris size I decided against the tiny tech marine body. I wanted something that would be closer to the rest of the force so ended up using another deatchguard model (icon bearer) to get some artificer mkiii. Some other bits and pieces, including a cut down axe left over from my Feirros conversion, and this is what I came up with.

50738432292_2b2e099190_o.jpg

50737586343_ef7743b3b4_o.jpg

50737586363_b02d60ca83_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My version of Jàrnhamar pack from the novels Blood of Asaheim, Stormcaller and Helwinter Gate. Still waiting for my copy of the limited edition but couldn't wait to build these guys after their data sheet was revealed. I used Primaris bodies for them despite them being first born. I gave them all first born back packs to help indicate their non-Primaris status.

Gunnlauger, Vaerangi, Skullhewer, Wolf Guard, leader of the pack. Charging forward swinging his thunder hammer skulbrotsjór.

50796969563_eb52b5d8af_o.jpg

Simple conversion using Haldor Ice-pelt. Removed the knife, switched the axe head for a hammer head, new shoulder pad and head. He is described in part as shaven headed with traces of flame-red hair in the stubble and a beard that was slush-grey and stiff with age.

Ingvar Orm Eversson, Gyrfalkon, recently returned from a 57 year stint in the Deathwatch. He retains his stalker pattern bolt gun and the Onyx skull pendant from his service. Ingvar also wields the rune blade Dausvjer, a storied power sword with a strong wyrd on it. He strides purposely forward, weapons ready for whatever comes at him.

50797838497_f15d13cb2b_o.jpg

50796969593_f7464ac7b4_o.jpg

50797721451_08f2215f71_o.jpg

50797721456_2db16fe13a_o.jpg

Ingvar is based on a full kit assault intercessor. I decided to give him a plain deathwatch shoulder pad in addition to his gun and pendant, inspired by the cover art for Blood of Asaheim. It came from the old marine captain set, with the raised shoulder guard removed. Dausvjer was built from a shortened wolves power sword, hand and hilt from the devs kit and pommel from a wolves chainsword.

Baldr Fjolnir, wyrd touched. Advances while firing, eager to close with the foe and bring his blade into play.

50797838687_6e42269255_o.jpg

50796969813_f73b85208d_o.jpg

50797838757_c809c37236_o.jpg

Balder uses an Indomitus assault Intercessor with a head from the old Fantasy Empire “hairy head” upgrade. His power sword is from the MKIII kit with a pommel from a wolves chainsword. He is bearded with long hair that has traces of sandy blondness in it.

Olgeir, named Heavy-Hand by his kith and kin, with his beloved Sigrun, a customised heavy bolter.

50796969838_559ecdd995_o.jpg

50796969908_e1925bf061_o.jpg

50796969943_b350f92b93_o.jpg

Used a regular Intercessor here. Removed the bolt rifle but kept the grip and added a MKIII heavy bolter with some Wolf decoration. While not part of his data sheet load out the books mention that he carries a sword so I gave him one. It comes from the Putrid Blightkings. He is described as having a black streaked unruly beard full of snarls and braided twists, with his face a mix of scar tissue, tattoos, ironwork piercings and curls of dark, stray hair on his partly shaven head.

Jorundur Erak Kaerlborn, known as the Old Dog, and at least a century older than his pack mates. Shown here reloading his bolter.

50797838992_d03c1143af_o.jpg

50797839042_94fd6d7ca7_o.jpg

50797839032_1fbb10d177_o.jpg

He also uses an Intercessor body. There is not much in the way of physical description for the Old Dog but we do know he is bearded with hair long enough to hang around his face.

Hafloí, the Whelp, Blood Claw, transitioning to the Hunter pack, he still has the fire and fury of the young wolf. He wields a double bladed axe and charges headfirst into the fray.

50797721826_23ce083256_o.jpg

50797839167_f71464712d_o.jpg

50797721876_ac08c1f82a_o.jpg

Another indomitus assault Intercessor. The axe was made using the haft of the upgrade sprue power axe and a double bladed dwarf axe. His back pack come from Drenn Redblade from Kill Team Cassius. As the newest and youngest member of the pack Hafloí is beardless and has red spiked hair.

Edited by HvitrValdyr

Spent some time going through the thread again and man, I love conversion work. For one simply because it's enjoyable to see peoples' inspired art, and two because it keeps showing me how much can be done with these ranges. I need to get back on the hobby wolf ...

Thanks for all the pics and progress updates! Fantastic stuff.

Hvitr, your Judicar, Bladeguard, and converted characters are spot on! They look great and really fit the Wolves.

I don't know the Jarnhamar guys, but I really have to know where the axe hanging from Jorundur's back came from, that's an amazing bit. The only one I'm not totally sold on is the wolf skull on the heavy bolter, but that's really my only possible negative on it. All the rest of them are great!

Hvitr, your Judicar, Bladeguard, and converted characters are spot on! They look great and really fit the Wolves.

I don't know the Jarnhamar guys, but I really have to know where the axe hanging from Jorundur's back came from, that's an amazing bit. The only one I'm not totally sold on is the wolf skull on the heavy bolter, but that's really my only possible negative on it. All the rest of them are great!

Thanks! The axe head actually came from a Frostgrave minis set, the plastic barbarians. The haft is an old trimmed down Bretonnian lance.

Each time I come back to the pictures I notice more detail, like the diamond and rope twist holding the axe on "The Old Dog", great work for sure.  Have you ever thought of making some press molds of the wolf skulls and such, would save you a LOT of money in the long run?

I have but mostly I’m too lazy to mess with green stuff that much. I use it a bit here and there when I have to. I’ve been collecting Wolves since 2nd edition so I have a LOT of bits lying around to cut up. 25+ years in the hobby pays off in bits boxes.