Evil Sunz Scarlett vs Mephiston Red

cezrulez

I've recently got back into 40k and dusted off the old BA to start painting again. I wanted to use Evil Sunz as my base colour for a really bright red that would stand out well but it just takes so long to basecoat. I've tried priming stuff with Mephiston Red spray but that needed like 4 thin layers of evil sunz before it looked half decent and I also tried army painter pure red primer but the finish on it came out really rough and obscured detail every time I tried in different conditions (ruining my shiny new Hellblaster in the process).

At this point I'm wondering if it wouldn't just be worth giving up and using Mephiston as the base colour for the army over Evil Sunz.

Any advice on what I should do in this situation?

Personally i've not had too many issues with the army painter pure red spray. You have to do a couple of light coats from different angles, but with careful application it goes on smooth and shouldn't obscure detail.

My sequence is: Pure Red spray, Carroburg Crimson wash all over, Evil Suns Scarlet layer, Fire Dragon Bright edge highlight, then seal with 'white knight' matt varnish spray.

I'm not a high tier painter by any measure, but can knock out a tabletop standard with the minimal steps above.

Edited by Brother_Angelus

Evil sunz is relatively thin compared to other layer paints, much like the old blood red. You need 2-3 thin coats, or one thick coat if you're daring and have good brush control.

Question, why dont you leave them at mephiston red, then use evil sunz as a highlight? Do you want the brighter red?

Army painter is fine for me, just don't spray too much on at once. Really let it fully dry before the next coat, it's not like the 'thin' GW sprays. 

My normal recipe now is:

Army Painter pure red primer

thin coat of meph red spray over the top

touch up with brushed meph red

evil sunz highlight

wild rider highlight

fire dragon bright

ungor flesh.

If you still have the Army Painter Pure Red, give it another whirl on some test minis if you can. I coated my first mini way too thick first time I used it as well (dettol soak fixed him up). So tried to make sure I did smaller lighter bursts over the mini next time and it's worked fine for me since. 

seal with 'white knight' matt varnish spray.

Is that this one? I'm in the market for a good varnish that's easy to get locally. 

So my experience with the GW standard method. Evil Suns will always look a bit "dark" at first until you slap on some edge highlighting. Then it really pops out as a slightly orange red. So I'd recommend going with the wild rider read highlight before dismissing your Evil Suns red as being too dark. You can even do an extreme edge of that "Kindle Flame" dry if you are good at using it and have really good brush control. I don't normally use that for anything but gems and the like because I have trouble with extreme edges.

the way the eavy metal primaris were painted was with a evil sunz/mephiston red mix apparently, I think those look beautiful and really capture the slightly orange old school colour scheme it sounds like you're going for.

Also, Tau Sept Ochre highlight as final highlight apparently.

I think it's very brave for people without an airbrush to embark on a blood angels army. Personally I spray black, heavy zenith highlight of Vallejo base grey, then easily the best red in existence, Vallejo air scarlet Red. It's soooo red and over the zenith grey you get great shading, depth and brightness with minimal effort.

I use evil suns for my guys. I make sure I prime them white fisrt so the red goes on very easily, usually only one, sometimes 2 coats. I've tried army painter pure red before on some tac marines and it seems okay. It's def a little thick though compared to GW sprays

Mephiston Red is my most favorite red color. When i first started painting 2 years ago i used Army painter dragon red primer, then based with Mephston red. I like the deep red for my BA. I use nuln oil for the was to give them a grimy battle worn look. I'm not much of a highlighter for my paint jobs. Currently I'm loving basing Chaos Black then basing with Mephiston red. It darkens it up really nicely. And the Mephiston red primer from GW is really hit or miss on how it coats. It's either dry and dusty, or watery, or think and gloppy.