Settling on a paint Scheme

E_50_Panzer

Finished a test model for the Poisoned Tongue Kabalites (while also getting all gold and silver done for the lot of them). I messed around with mixing colors to add layers to create more subtle highlights on a couple other guys, but it was just too finicky and not worth the effort. So I kept it simple, using Dark Blue from the paint app. This guy took around 20-30 minutes to highlight all of the armor on, not bad at all! I should be able to highlight a squad's worth tomorrow... (famous last words)  

Now, to add tufts and snow? Or not?

8rUNBSj.jpg

A1XWNAj.jpg

IcK0xYx.jpg

nDGwyRW.jpg

T9TGctw.jpg

That is a lot of highlighting, but it looks good so well worth it! I'm not sure about tufts on such a rocky base maybe sparse and straggly if at all? I think snow would work nicely and also provide a nice contrast to the purple, and probably allow for a bit more grass too :)

That is a lot of highlighting, but it looks good so well worth it! I'm not sure about tufts on such a rocky base maybe sparse and straggly if at all? I think snow would work nicely and also provide a nice contrast to the purple, and probably allow for a bit more grass too :)

Looks really good.Clean ,and I agree with WF, snow then tufts would look right.

Alright, I'll give it a go later t'day.

Ok, I forgot to add snow and tufts to the bases. So I failed there, but on the other hand, I did manage to get the bases and black done on 95% of all the infantry. It took especially long for the wyches, with their body suits and all that.

4HTaXyE.jpg

Tomorrow, time to finish off metallics for the orange ones and maybe even get a start on some skin. I think I might actually get through this on time.

Edit: My :censored: ing wrists and back are all nice and sore now. That's what 5 hours of painting does to you.

Edited by Archon Yllithian

Looks like 5 hours of good work to me, so it might be worth it :P Basing is best done in bulk anyway so saving that for one last push isn't a bad thing I find :)

Yeah I reckon that some snow and tufts wont take more than an hour for the army. How about your guys, any progress or still waiting on your break?

I've given up for now, too much work to be doing in the run up but I can feel my hobby mojo returning thanks to all the great work I see on the B&C so I'm confident I'll complete my vow with plenty of time once I'm done with work for the year :) Might try and strip down my existing models then too, as I'd like to get the bread and butter done first (for once) - plus your picture shows how good it looks! Plus thanks to 8th lots of models tends to be better on the table top too, as well as looking better ;)

Another day and another couple of colors done. Leadbelcher , a bit of Abaddon black, and Rakarth Flesh. I still have to do the purple, trims, bright gold, and flayed hides, but I'm confident those can be done safely after I finish all the major work. Tomorrow, I clean up the dozens of spills and stray paint marks, shade, and layer. (I love layering. Easily my favorite painting stage right now. It adds a good amount of depth, it's quick, and it's perfect for painting masses of troops to a decent standard quickly.)

LkKv34M.jpg

And I forgot to mention the hair, but whatever, minor details. I have to say that I'm not entirely minding painting 50 figures at a time. It just takes time and you need to be patient with it. And also have a tolerance for laying aside time to clean your spillage...

Keep this excellent progress up and you'll be done in no time :tu: Starting to get a feel for how they'll all look when finished so I'm looking forward to seeing it for real :D

Yeah me too, I've got about a week to paint before relatives come to visit for Christmas. I know I'll get my vow done before then, and I'll get the rest to a fieldable quality at least.

I did my cleaning for the day, well, I opted to only do it for the armor. I'm going to focus on the black after all is said and done, because I know I'm going to just spill over it again when I highlight everything else, although, there's a lot less stray paint than I thought there was.

On the left, as you can see, I did manage to get a start on highlighting some of them.

6vDefsX.jpg

As for the orange guys, they still need a layer added to the armor. And shading for the flesh.

I1Xm54j.jpg

Alright, day's job is completed. I shaded all the metals I have painted, layered and cleaned all the armor, and shaded and layered all of the flesh. After lots of experimenting on different models, I find a mix of Druchii Violet and Reikland Fleshade works well for very pale skin tones. The Violet adds a dark, deep purple, while the fleshade balances it out. Anyways, needless to say, I'm spent. 

YLEG4r0.jpg

VHPDcU2.jpg

a2idZ2h.jpg

Tomorrow, I will need to decide if I want to paint in the gear and hair, or do some highlights... We'll see.

Just had a look through this entire thing, and man, you have some nice looking schemes going on! I really dug the metallic look from your earlier work, but the new scheme looks absolutely stunning. I love the bright colors for the Wyches and the darker colors for the Warriors. Can't wait to see more!

Just had a look through this entire thing, and man, you have some nice looking schemes going on! I really dug the metallic look from your earlier work, but the new scheme looks absolutely stunning. I love the bright colors for the Wyches and the darker colors for the Warriors. Can't wait to see more!

Thanks, I should have all the infantry done this week. It's tiring but I think it's worth it.

I think the skin tone works very well, gives that "traditional" DE look while being a bit more natural - Reikland is a great wash for skins :) You're making excellent progress but be careful not to burn out :tu:

Eh, I dont have too much more work ahead. Well, to get them to a good, fieldable level at least. Of course, fieldable and level are two evil words that has given me an excuse to leave some of my other armies half finished. :)

Well, relatives came over, but it wasn't all doom and gloom for my painting, I did get a fair few warriors highlighted. Also, I did quite a bit of edge highlighting on armor today.

So, first up, the wyches I need for Xeno Files and my Archon/Succubus

wgZbOt2.jpg

E0HvlCp.jpg

FLrrdBW.jpg

AGzQVaB.jpg

The orange highlight, following the citadel orange from the app, is really subtle, too subtle for my tastes. So tomorrow I'm gonna mix some white into Fire Dragon Bright.

On the other hand, the warriors of the Poisoned Tongue came out well, can't wait to finish them!

y1icmHE.jpg

BGwAlEl.jpg

xH7FAjD.jpg

And finally, I vowed a raider, and I swear I will get one done before the event ends. All for now, the clock is ticking. 

Heroic work, they're looking very good and will soon be done :tu: I agree the highlight is too subtle it needs to be noticeable for all the effort you put in - shame that will require doing it again :lol:

Ah, it's alright, wyches dont take too long to highlight the armor on. I should be able to complete all the infantry today...

Well, wyches are only a stone's throw away from being done! Just black highlights and spikes left to go... here's 2 pics of the whole squad.

MJaC7Bx.jpg

57e54az.jpg

​It might be kind of hard to make out anything in those, so here are close-ups of two wyches.

ozM6KTa.jpg

vekpUv0.jpg

xUjcL6s.jpg

1aUWD0O.jpg

​And a few of my Succubus. I'm not totally sure how far I want to take the weapons and a few other details so they aren't started yet.... eeeeeh...

zjep3za.jpg

ZUqZKoC.jpg

RAun92n.jpg

​Anyways, tomorrow I'm highlighting black and doing the last details on the 2 infantry squads. Then on the last day, a Raider.