Positive thinking. Let's start with mutants!

I know there's a lot of doom and gloom out there currently with the R&H index and everyone is anticipating the Faq promised this coming weekend but I'd like to talk about mutants in a positive light.

I was thinking big squads with shotguns would be quite useful as you can still shoot shotguns after advancing.

With the devotion to slaanesh they can advance as far as possible to get into half range for strength 4. And then try to block the enemy from maneuvering across the board.

On the other hand the devotion to tzeentch might be useful on a large squad sitting on objectives and allow them to be charged.

I anticipate enforcerors gaining the character keyword so will have some behind holding the line.

I think R&H can easily fill a brigade for the extra command points. Use these to re roll 1s on the mutations chart.

Anyone else excited to try/tried lots of mutants? Or am I being overly positive?

I just played my first game of 8th edition with Renegades. Had 3 units of 10 mutants, psyker hq, and artillery line. Played against genestealer cult. Mutants between Genestealers and my line. Genestealers charged mutants. Mutants held. Then on my turn, they fell back and my artillery tore them a new one.

Looks like mutants could be our new Zombies...

Byrd.

Long ago, GW sold a limited mutant kit that was a catachan, zombie, ork, and chaos mutations sprues. My zombie are old and have waited a long time to be useful. Were tough to find too. #warhammeraddictproblems

Wayyyyyy back in the day I ran two big squads of 30 each with a csm champion in each. Now I think the champ will be an enforcer. Hooray for muties!

Mutants with shotguns are the one thing I'm excited about from our new book.

I took two squads of 30 in a game. The look on my opponents face when I said I got 60 overwatch shots on his bezerkers was pretty priceless.

I'll definitely be playing around with them. One main problem is that the range of the enforcer bubble is so small. Hopefully that gets addressed as well.

Bit of a side tangent, but trying to get my head around 8th still... Can I bring myself some mutants for 2PL in my chaos marine force to give me a cheap troop option?

So my battalion could have an enforcer, 2 mutant squads, then a marine squad, 2 marine hq's and other stuff, but that fufils my minimum requirements?

If so thats awesome!

Bit of a side tangent, but trying to get my head around 8th still... Can I bring myself some mutants for 2PL in my chaos marine force to give me a cheap troop option?

So my battalion could have an enforcer, 2 mutant squads, then a marine squad, 2 marine hq's and other stuff, but that fufils my minimum requirements?

If so thats awesome!

Yep, they all have the chaos keyword, so go ahead.

If so thats awesome!

Yep, they all have the chaos keyword, so go ahead.

Are you sure on this? Does the lack of the respective keywords Renegades and Legion not prohibit them from sharing the same detachment though?

For example i dont think a CSM detachment can take Poxwalkers as CSM dont have the Death Guard key.

If you take a "Heretic Astartes" faction you wouldn't be able to bring pox walkers; but if you bring a "chaos" faction you could bring both CSM and pox walkers, since both units have the "chaos" keyword.

So, if you choose "chaos" as your faction you can bring anything with the "chaos" keyword, including mutants, daemons, CSMs, plague marines, etc. If you choose "death guard" as your faction you can bring CSMs, Plague marines as troops, pox walkers, but not mutants.

Right now there is little reason not to take "chaos" as your faction as you get access to everything. You can get plague marines as troops if you take "death guard" as your faction, but you lose out on a lot of stuff. With "chaos" as your faction you can bring basically everything from the chaos index, the forgeworld forces of chaos book, and the death guard booklet that comes with the starter set.

I say this as someone who didn't play much the last couple editions (or this one so far), but the biggest AH-HA moment I had was realizing that the Chaos keyword makes everything play nice and friendly. I love the idea of being able to summon bloodletters to support my khorne troops (we still have one technical character...), or field defilers or whatnot in place of mortal tanks. I'm really hoping they keep expanding like they have "Imperium" to give us our own dark empire to choose from. :evil laughter:

you can even bring in imperium units if you include fallen - as they have both imperium and chaos keywords :ph34r.:

Pretty sure everything in your army (regardless of which detachment it is in) needs to share one keyword minimum. So Imperial units are out unless (like Fallen) they also possess the Chaos keyword.

Mutants are very fun though. I have started converting some of my own unwashed, deformed masses!

http://i.imgur.com/k8Ezq2P.jpg?1

Edited by Azekai

Any good source of shotguns? Any GW kits have them?

If you know anyone thats done a GSC army the Neophytes have shotguns. I also modified some from other weapons like Kroot rifles,SM Scouts, Ive seen lots of conversion tutorials around the web.

Cool, I was planning on using neophyte squads as my mutant base model anyway, not actually opened a box yet though so didn't realise they have shotguns.

An excellent choice. Many of the shotgun arms display mutated hands too. Depending on how versatile your bitz box is the torsos mesh well with other kits - I used legs from Kroot, Grave Guard, Flagellants, easy to swap in various heads too.

Cool, I was planning on using neophyte squads as my mutant base model anyway, not actually opened a box yet though so didn't realise they have shotguns.

I have converted some of my own from lasguns. I clip of the Lasgun barrel, and then use a small tube of plastic to place barrels on the  square end. 

Edited by Warsmith Uveron

I have converted some of my own from lasguns. I clip of the Lasgun barrel, and then use a small tube of plastic to place to barrels on the square end.

Boom, no pun intended

I have converted some of my own from lasguns. I clip of the Lasgun barrel, and then use a small tube of plastic to place to barrels on the square end.

Boom, no pun intended

There was clearly a pun intended! :P