Who is still buying normal marines?

I will not be buying any more. I have my eyes peeled for a deal on Centurions and maybe the new Dev kit. But that's about it.

This is due to a number of factors:

1.) Realistically, I have has many marines as I reasonably need. There's always room for more but I don't *need* them. Which leads to...

2.) Like the OP, my hobby resources are incredibly finite. More Marines is no longer a good use of them. Because...

3.) Let's be real: the writing is on the wall and primaris Marines are the future. Just like the stormcasts, primaris Marines will receive ever-increasing units and options to make them far more feasible then the mono-pose models we have now.

A sober assessment of gw's past practice, and the reality of resource allocation, seems to suggest that investing in primaris Marines is the smartest way forward for a marine player. They may surprise me with older Marine sculpts and rules, but I just don't think that's a safe bet.

Edited by Brother Captain Ed

I will because fluffwise, Red Scorpions would never allow something as impure as Primaris into their chapter. That said I have no plans as of now to buy more since I still have box upon box of marines to put together and we aren't sure what the new codex will bring.

Nope I've got all the Normal Marines I need. I was going to do a Raptors Chaptor army, but that would depend on if FW re-release the rules.

Thanks for the responses

Its interesting to see everyones opinion

Killing off a chapter was impressive

As a forge world model buyer i was quite reluctant to invest futher if there are sizing issues or if the scale will be resized completely

Just seemed a waste of money

Ive read the book but it seems funny these new hulking giants looking down on there puny chapter master taking orders lol

Interesting

I've no intention of buying the new marines, certainly in the short to medium term. I've three main DIY chapters, and another three lesser players, but none of those include primaris marines. I'm working through a campaign set around 30-40 years before the cursed Eldar decided to allegedly resurrect lord blue-trousers mcsaviour, so I've no need of these fancy mark x types.

It's also very possible that some (or all) of my DIY's won't survive the onslaught of hive fleet Hymir, At least one chapter was battered down to less than a company after the first engagement, and others will surely go the same way.

I've still gotta redo all my tacs and make a full 9 squads, 6 vet squads, 4 stern vet, another 4 or so van vets, maybe do up some honor guard types, nothing to say of bikers, speeders and devs that all need multiples. The sprues are only a few years old so I expect they should still look good for a while, and as long as that's possible, I'm gonna fill out my DIY till it's feasibly able to take anything and everything as the situation demands.

The codex is announced by now, and it is Codex SMs, not a Codex Primaris (at least by title, not by cover). Also, since there is a primaris marine on the cover, there won’t be a separate codex for them for now at least.

Only thing I’m hoping for is that they actually stay an optional addition, differently seed by different chapters, and GW doesn’t try to shove them down the chapters’ throats while making them smile just in the attempt to sell us more PriMarines.

The lore for the Primaris Marines is too lame, and they're too comically oversized (but then, all truescale marine projects are). Even if the Mk X armour does look awesome, I can't stomach the lameness of introducing newer, bigger, stronger marines into the fluff. One of the basic tenets of the 40K universe has been the technological stagnation, even devolution, that has led to the Imperium facing it's foes while being woefully outclassed by tech. You know, there's never enough Terminator suits, never enough plasma guns, never enough marines, dreadnoughts are so precious that entire strike forces are sent to recover fallen ones, etc etc.

Oh, but we just mass-produced these newer, bigger, stronger marines, with all-new tech in abundance. Because we can do that now. And all those marines you know and love? They're only the second best warriors the Imperium can muster now.

Laaaaame.

So, I'm not at all interested in the Primaris marines. I plan on building a small Astartes force in the near future, but it will be all older plastics, not the new ones.

I agree with the two posters above.  The fluff and the reasoning are pretty sorry, and they will end up squatting the regular marines eventually.  About the time I am finally getting my army finished, it is all being obsoleted again.  I won't be buying more regular marines, and I won't be doing an upgrade to Primaris either.  By the time I get them finished, the writers will have invented "Super Marines", or "Ultra Primaris"  with even bigger vehicles and the like.   If I make the transition to Eighth, I will be needing almost the whole index set and at least four codices along with piles of new models.  I have pretty much decided to sit eighth out and see if the next edition is better or worse.  I may finish painting my armies, but unless they revive Kill Team, I'm probably not going to buy or play anything GW for a while.  

I see their need to make money, but If I play a different game, I can build bigger and bigger armies as I spend more and more money.  With GW, I feel like I have to throw out about half of the stuff I buy every year.  I keep spending more and more and I can play it less and less.  If I sink three hundred bucks into Kings of War or even Warmahordes, I will still have most of that three hundred bucks available to my army in five years.  I will only need to buy a couple of books to play it.    Half of the Warhammer stuff I bought last year will now never even make it to the tables.  I got into this game because I liked the Space Marines.  Now, they're not even going to be in the future of the game, let alone be the backbone of the game.  I was going to throw a bunch of money into new kits and another half a grand into books, just to prevent losing the investment I had already made, but then I will just have to do it all over again in another year.  It's time to just let it all go and step off of the GW hamster wheel for a couple of years.  

Whew!  I feel better now! 

For the sake of me feeling a part of the community, I'll let you know what's going on with me.

I am not buying any old Marines at the moment. However, this is so because I have over a hundred Marines stockpiled in various places and I need to fight my addiction (i.e. building a 'perfect army' which I won't be able to paint in years' time).

I am also not buying any Primaris Marines in the foreseeable future (in summary: I don't like their concept and I still struggle to accept changes introduced to the setting).

What I am, however, is the reason why GW though about introducing the Primaris. They wanted me to go grab the new, somewhat cool miniatures, but no, no, no. That's not going to happen, at least for now. And I suppose that when I'll be done with painting my mustered forces, I'll probably get more squat marines.

I'll be buying a few more. I've got all the infantry for a Raptor company, but if like to get the entire 1st company and maybe bits and bobs from a reserve company before I call it a day.

I also plan on having a mirrored company of Primaris, so 60 Intercessors, 20 Hellblasters and 20 Reivers but that won't be for a while (famous last words).

I just had my first real good look at the size differences between Primaris and normal marines.

Wow. It's actually killing my enthusiasm for the game. I didn't sign up to play a race of space dwarfs.

I'm quite happy that I don't play much and when I do, I want a friendly/casual game. That gives me hope that I can arrange with my opponent to play in a pre-Guilliman setting, without the Primaris on the table.

On a side note, I'm a bit worried about the aesthetic of the setting - looking at the new Death Guard, I can't seem to shake off the feeling that we're heading into this cartoon fantasy territory AoS is in. But this is really off-topic and just me adding my thought to the sentiment Adeptus expressed, about him loosing enthusiasm; something I, regrettably, share.

This is also why I'll stick to the 'old' Marines and when I'm done with managing and painting my current collection of models, I'll be getting more squat Marines, instead of the new toys.