Stompin' Humies - the Orks Tactics thread.

Caillum

Tested out trukk boys this weekend. *fart noises* would be how I could sum them up. However, loading trukks with shoota boys and having them run around...possible.

Really agree with the end of this statment. Shootaboys in trukks running around blazing their fire.

If you are going to run Boyz you want them in 30 man squads. Overload your opponent with targets and they will have a tough time cracking through our auto-pass morale. Just remember you're going to lose a lot of models. If you are not losing models you are not playing Orks correctly. Get Stuck In!

Edited by Aothaine

Out of curiosity: How are Lootas looking in 8e? Always been a big fan of them and finally breaking out all the unopened boxes of Orks I've amassed. I've got a lot of Lootas/Burnas awaiting assembly. Heh, going through all the units I have this is looking more and more like it'll be a Death Skullz force. *laughs*

Out of curiosity: How are Lootas looking in 8e? Always been a big fan of them and finally breaking out all the unopened boxes of Orks I've amassed. I've got a lot of Lootas/Burnas awaiting assembly. Heh, going through all the units I have this is looking more and more like it'll be a Death Skullz force. *laughs*

Lootas haven't changed. Either you like them, or you find them unpredictable and fragile.

Lootas haven't changed. Either you like them, or you find them unpredictable and fragile.

Given how schizophrenic our shooting is, and with the lack of real rending ability, I'd say lootas are the most dependable ranged unit in the codex. 

What do younz think about Mek Gunz. I have 2 KMK's left now and am thinking about changing them to Smasha guns pushing my total up to 8 of them. So 4 Bubble chukkas 8 Smasha Gunz. 
Opinions? 

Can't say my Kustom Mega Kannon Mek Gunz fired a lot of shots..but I can say they killed baaasically everything they hit. The range was enough to keep them safe in the way back as well. Put them behind a small wall on terrain and suddenly you get +1 cover and artillery.

Might have helped that I had Mega Tanks keeping all enemy units distracted.

What do younz think about Mek Gunz. I have 2 KMK's left now and am thinking about changing them to Smasha guns pushing my total up to 8 of them. So 4 Bubble chukkas 8 Smasha Gunz. 

Opinions? 

The KMK is objectively better than any other gun we have. Outside of some lucky rolling for the Bubble Chucka, the D6 shots for the KMK means it outpaces the Traktor Cannon vs. Flyers, and the Smasha gun vs. armor. The only real downside is that it can take a mortal wound a turn, making it easier for the enemy to destroy.

Given how schizophrenic our shooting is, and with the lack of real rending ability, I'd say lootas are the most dependable ranged unit in the codex. 

That's what I mean. Some people like them. Others find them too expensive for a unit that is still just T4 with a 6+ save, and have the potential to shot 1 shot each at 5+.

I'm still torn on them.

Edited by toaae

Just reread the stats on the KMK's, I'll certainly give them a go before I change them out.  If nothing else they'll looks threatening and draw attention off other units.  There is a good bit of psychology to this game, at least for me. For many years I dreaded the games with Nidz I just couldn't see how to beat them. (Playing Space Marines back then.) 
Over Kill became my answer to the problem. (Much later games , Wolf Guard with Kombi-Plasmas in Drop pods.) 

So, if the opponent thinks these KMK's sound scary there will be a reaction. Either avoiding them or going in head on. 
I am surprised that they cost less than Bubble Chukkas. 

Now if only I could find a proppa use for a S.A.G. Mek in my list. In Power Levels I think a lot of these things seem more appealing to me.  

Noticed something interesting in the Beakie Codex - power fists have dropped to 12 points each! This (hopefully) bodes well for power klaws once the Ork Codex drops. :)

I made my first official purchase - 3 plastic Deffkoptas! I will magnetise them for versatility, but I reckon the kustom mega-blastas will see the most use, purely because they're the cheapest. Kopta rokkits look awesome, and have the best damage, but are so damn pricey. And I'm not a fan of how Ork twin-linked weapons are more expensive than 2 individual weapons (seriously, it doesn't make sense!) so I doubt I'll use the twin big shootas that often.

Think a couple of Start Collecting boxes will be next. Easy to capitalise on the models in them. Should be able to make up a 1000-point Outrider Detachment with that! :)

I take multiple squads of grots, about 50 in total...but I run a grot army. It's silly, but they make for a good net to catch enemy chargers and keep them off my important things.

Have been testing the waters (Green tide!) In a bunch of patrol style games vs. Black Templars and Skitarii....I believe that the Imperium needs to be very afraid.the base list so far has been

WARBOSS

PK+ COMBI SKORCHA

BOYZ (30)

NOB

PK+COMBI SKORCHA

WAR BIKES(5)

NOB

PK+COMBI SKORCHA

WARBUGGIES(3)

The average game so far has been WARBUGGIES laying down cover fire(18 shots)warbikes doing the same until Boyz nearly in charge range then absorb overwatch for the Boyz and thus far has resulted in total Carnage.

Warbuggies crappy models aside seem to be a fairly reliable(sturdy,semi-accurate) unit .Bikes in my opinion are as good as they ever was and them BOYZ will be BOYZ!Thankfully now w/ Mob rule the way it should be.

I've been using them as mobile fire support thus far keeping Da Boyz covered but I could see using Outrider to pop into them opponents backfield instead on those missions that require slogging the length of the table .If I were to use them that way I would MAYBE(Big maybe!) Fit the unit w/ Rokkit packs and give em the ole banana in the tail pipe!Most likely tho I'd just stick w/ the Dakkagunz they have been good to me so far.

The one thing I'm uncertain about w/ the Outrider rule is you pop up on opponents table edge at the end of the movement phase so...them buggies are sitting ducks till next turn?It's not a huge problem since the guns have 36 in range but if took rokkits you might end up getting counter assaulted.Probably.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone having luck with Bikers?

I'm considering adding a Detatchment of multiple Biker units to tie up my enemies back line and be a general nuisance.

Should be in range of juicy heavy support units by turn 2, they could also double up as a mobile screening unit

I've had a lot of success with them, but only really as a bubble wrap for a boss on bike or the nob in the group. Even running 8 bikers, 1-3 usually survive getting over to something shiny to hit. For 27 points a piece, they are way too expensive this edition. Run them if you want, they're cool and fun to use. Just uh..don't expect them to survive without help or another distraction unit already taking enemy fire.

I'm not sure what they're good for. Previously, it was speed, lethality, and toughness rolled into one affordable package. Now, they still boast more toughness and an additional wound over boys, but a a premium in cost, while losing a large amount of the advantage in speed. They are still packing much more shooting power than any alternative, but since it's still at a 5+ to hit, that is still a mitigating boost.

Frankly, as with the Choppa Boy, I'm not sure I'd take Warbikers over Stormboyz. +1 Toughness, Wound, and the dual Dakkaguns don't make up for being more than triple the cost and not being able to charge after advancing (bonus points for da Stormies, who have super cheap access to moral immunity in Boss Zagstruk)

Frankly, even running a squad of 8 bikes and a warboss on bike, I often forget to shoot or skip it entirely. They die very very quickly and hit almost nothing with guns. However a warboss on bike is amazing for it's cost. A nob on bike also hits rather hard, but I doubt that 5 nobs on bike are worth the 270+ point cost before any power klaws or real guns. I would say kommandos and stormboyz beat out bikers by a wide margin.

Perhaps the codex will fix them. I actually feel like going back to under 18 points per would be the only way to make them viable again.

At 18 points a piece my usual group of 8 can fit another 4 into the group and I'm still left with 9 points over. My roomate has used them since 7th edition when they were ~18 and had all their tankiness. Perhaps they increased points because by 7th edition rules they were UNDERcosted...but also 4 times more survivable and could take larger squads.

Why would you ever use Mek Guns? GW must be idiots to think the traktor gun or bubble chukka are worth those points. The other 2 may be worth it in some cases, but come on GW, why is the traktor so rubbish? It makes a mockery of the game when the superior Kannon is far cheaper.

Kustom Mega Kannons are easily our best weapon, and for a measly 48 points, a KMK on a Mek Gun is definitely worth it. Unfortunately, the sheer power of the KMK means both the Traktor Kannon and Smasha Gun are outperformed in their niche by the more well-rounded KMK. Even the big gunz don't compare, point for point, to the KMK. The bubble-chucka gets left out here just because of the sheer variance and the mini-game that can lead to wild results, though, in my opinion, the KMK is still superior.

• 2 weeks later...

What's everyone's take on battle wagons in 8th? Was thinking about finally getting one for my ladz, to add some armour to the army. Also, what about the flyers? I love my dakka jet to death and would hate for it to be only a glorious flying train wreck.

I just noticed, that the stompa seems no longer availbale from GW, What's up with that? When did this happen and how the hell do I get one now (not that it will see a lot of action with a PL of 49).