Aramis' Mentors and bastard geneseed trials

http://i.imgur.com/RxR1DN8.jpg

Here we go then, the whole gang together, the Unnumbered Sons of the Primarchs unity squad.

A unit created by Cawl from terran stock and placed under Mentor leadership for field trials, now stuck in the darkness beyond the rift. They know little of their legions but much about their brothers' strengths.

Kept in stasis between strikes, they wake and fight and sleep, 100 years of conflict passing in a series of short and brutal fights. Some have fallen but all awaken again for the next assault.

On rare occasions they spy their darker brothers, who range ahead of their strikes, glimpses of skulls in the night, unknowns marked as friendly. They know them better by their grim work.

http://i.imgur.com/sQNJyBu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/72VWzz3.jpg

The rainbow team without their tutor:

http://i.imgur.com/XCuh3Ex.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just for reference, the Rogue Trader rulebook listed twelve Space Marine Chapters (often erroneously remembered as the "original Legions"). It could be a fun nod to the old school days to use these guys in squads, especially if you put some beaky helms, studded shoulders and older old school parts on them.

The original Chapters and their colour schemes were:

Dark Angels (Black with a red helmet stripe).

Flesh Eaters (slightly darker red than Blood Angels).

Flesh Tearers (black with a yellow helmet stripe).

Blood Angels (red with black helmet stripe. [studded] left shoulder painted white).

Blood Drinkers (slightly more orange than Blood Angels. Yellow helmet stripe).

Crimson Fists (modern colours, helmet red helmet stripe).

Space Wolves ("Pre Heresy" grey armour with yellow helmet stripe)

Ultramarines (blue with white helmet stripe).

White Scars (white with red helmet stripe).

Iron Hands (black with white helmet stripe).

Rainbow Warriors (greyer blue than Ultramarines. White helmet stripe with rainbow pattern coming off of the stripe either side; red to orange to yellow to green).

Silver Skulls (silver with black stripe).

Great minds think alike - I too am interested in a mixed Primaris group. I'm perhaps doing something a bit further along the timeline compared to your fellows. I'm taking the angle of Cawl / the Mechanicum having built under the radar strike teams of Primaris -- focusing perhaps more on the geneseed nobody was counting ( read : traitor legions ). Add that to at least a century or two of time ( who knows in the warp ) roving the edge of known space hunting for their traitorous brothers and eventually teaming up with an Explorator fleet seeking an STC beyond the rim.

I'm still on the fence about how to integrate the chapter colouring -- I'm thinking of a more general unified theme and maybe bringing it in in helmets and gauntlets -- not sure. Your group is definitely inspiring and I look forward to seeing more from it.

http://i.imgur.com/AlGJYob.jpg

VIII + XIV

Night and Dusk

Two more with colours in place. Helmets need a tidy up, then icons, weathering, and bases. And maybe some lightning, though I've been avoiding anything too close to Legion culture; these guys share a geneseed but not the homeworks.

I keep jumping to the next one after the armour as I'm having fun finding new mixes and methods for each one.

@Wargamer Thanks for those. Once I've done these 9 plus their mentor I'm starting to think about another two... new sons of forgotten geneseed.

@Paradogmatic Great minds. Lots of open ends in the fluff to play with Cawl's experiments. I just love the chance for the range of colours and techniques. Look fwd to seeing yours.

• 2 weeks later...

CJyKlGn.jpg

XVI + IV

Wolf and Iron

Two more, my Lunar Wolf and Iron Warrior. I built the IW with a carbine at first, then swapped the hands and gun.

The Reiver box is proving a pain. 5 great sculpts and then because they repeat the spruces it's tricky to vary the next 5.

Two left, the headhunter and the mentor, teal and emerald.

And then, and then... II

• 2 weeks later...

4IzzC1l.jpg

XX

The Headhunter

Last of the traitor geneseed Reivers, the Alpha Legion. Another fun one to paint; I mixed up a new teal from Sotek Green, Warpstone, and Dawnstone. More green than my main XX heresy force and hard to reproduce exactly, even between coats, but I like it.

I've been calling this lot the bastards.

Edited by Aramis K

• 1 month later...

3cLmNZ7.jpg

My bastard Reivers are done for now.

Another of Cawl's experiments, old geneseed untainted by the sins of fathers. Resurrected to fight in ignorance, clad in ancient colours.

They're deployed ahead, in shadows and darkness, ordered to leave no witnesses to their passing. If any fall they obliterate the remains, and when they're next woken to roam their numbers are restored. Their Mentor forbids them pride, they fight in penance for sins they've never known. Not for the Emperor, not for Mars, not for legion, but because they only know war.

JCDSVJ1.jpg

JiclsYy.jpg

Making a start on the 2nd and 11th. Inventing my own lost legions for Cawl to bring back.

Started with colours, looking for gaps in the pallete of the first legions. Orange is one of those gaps, but I wasn't keen on an orange marine. So I've paired it with a very dark teal.

Working on name and fluff for what's feeling like a 2nd Legion. Maybe a dawn theme, sunrise symbol, but that might be a bit simple.

wCAWibD.jpg

C&C welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

@Irongills Helmets are white undercoat, bleached bone base, selectively washed with thinned agrax, then full agrax over the face, highlighted with Palid witch flesh.

The wash does a great job. I think everything about the Primaris has been designed to make them rewarding to paint using the GW method; base, wash, line highlight. Lots of deep details and hard edges to flood and stroke.

Lieutenant nearly done. Just needs icons.

Blood Angel Brother Diemus, identified by the Mentors for field command training. An excellent marksman who favours selective application of force. Charismatic and we trusted by the unity marines. Regularly debriefed for signs of his legion's geneseed flaw emerging.

59Iw795.jpg

Slightly rushed so not the smoothest finish and some glossy washes. Will tidy up now the daylight photo has exposed me.

Tiny conversion removing the helmet from the belt, came away easily and damage covered by a pouch. Sadly not useable as a helmet though as faceplate twisted.

Edited by Aramis K